Low calorie snack ideas

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I need some new ideas of low calorie snacks that will fill me up! I'm starving but I don't want to blow it.

Thanks!

Replies

• halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make homemade hummus and eat it with raw veggies. Lots of protein and very filling...
  • HollyAnnH
    HollyAnnH Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    halfpint71....could you share your homemade hummus recipe with us all??
  • mhoss101
    mhoss101 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Celery with natural peanut butter and raisins is a good snack for me.. it mixes the crunchy with the sweet and salty.. laughing cow cheese is also good..use the natural pb sparingly though because it can be high in calories..
  • Crickks
    Crickks Posts: 94
    Options
    Some for simple and fast ideas, try: www.hungrygirl.com
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    fruits and veggies are always a great idea. high fiber foods are good too. Fiber One 90 calorie snack bars are good too. do you like cucumbers and carrots or celery? Magic Pops are a 15 calorie rice cake, you could have 2 or 3 of those if you can find them in your area...
  • beachbaby18
    Options
    Well snacks for me are usually fruits so I would go with any kind of fruit that you like. I sometimes eat popcorn when I want a snack and that seems to fill me up. Make sure it's not like butter lovers or anything like that though. Another thing that I really like baked lays potato chips. They are low in calories and they are really good. Pretzels are good as well. They have 100 calorie brownie and cookie things that are really good. Just make sure you eat only 1 bag and don't go back for another 1 even though it's tempting. I hope this helps. :smile:
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like Quaker Oats True Delights Toasted Cocunut Macadamia Nut granola bar. It's a little high at 140 cals but it has a lot of whole grains so it keeps me full.
    I also like the laughing cow cheese w/ crackers (wheat thins toasted chips or flatbreads) or it it also good on celery.
    Celery and carrots and the fat free southwestern dip is great!
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Hi, I know that you wanted halfpint to tell you her recipe for homemade houmous but I thought I would share mine too...

1/2 cup canned chickpeas
    1 dessert spoon (2 tsps) tahini
    Lemon juice and Garlic (minced) to taste
    Water

Blend the chickpeas until smooth or smooth with chunky bits depending upon how you like your houmous. I recommend using a hand blender. You might want to add a little water if its too stiff.

Put the tahini into a cup and add approximately the same amount of water as tahini. Beat the water into the tahini paste until it changes from the peanut butter brown to a light beige. You might need more than a dessert spoon of water, but add a little at a time to make sure it is the right consistency (it should be runny like cream not like milk).

Taste the tahini (which is now tehina, also a yummy dip) and add lemon and garlic until you achieve the right balance for your taste. When you have finished adding lemon and garlic, tip the tahini mix into the processed chickpeas and stir.

You may wish to add a little salt and pepper or powdered paprika to your houmous.

The nutritional information for this recipe is about 140 calories, 3.5 grams of fat (depending on what type of tahini you use, these levels could be higher or lower) and not sure about salt because it depends if you add to it or not. It should make approximately 3/4 cup of houmous, which can be enjoyed for up to 3 days. (If you add olive oil to your houmous then it can be enjoyed for longer).
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    halfpint71....could you share your homemade hummus recipe with us all??

1 can Chick Peas rinsed (i buy the ones with no sodium added)
    2 cloves garlic (more if you're a garlic lover or going to be alone for the evening)
    1 T Tahini Paste
    1T Olive Oil
    1 T Lemon Juice

Everything goes in the food processer and mix until smooth.. If the mixture is to thick I just add a little water to thin it out.

Add In's 1 Roasted Red Pepper
    use lime juice instead of lemon w/ 2T chopped cilantro
    2T fresh chopped Dill
    1t cumin (my husbands favorite
  • melville88
    melville88 Posts: 137
    Options
    Other snack ideas: what about some dried dates (just a few, high in sugar), or a fat-free yoghurt with some fruit? Try having a hot drink if you just have the munchies and not actual hunger; low-calorie hot chocolate if you have a choc craving nearly always gets me through; or a low-calorie cup-a-soup?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Philly Swirl cream popsicles - 16 calories
    Sugar free jello cups w/ 2tbsp f/f cool whip or whipped light cream - 25 cals
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It sounds great but what is "Tahini Paste"??
  • patelt
    patelt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hi, crumpets with extra lite laughing cow is filling and very low in cals.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese with chopped tomatoes and cucumbers, seasoned with a little salt and pepper and a tsp of Italian or Balsamic Vinaigrette salad dressing! YUM!

I also like to do a 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese mixed with oranges and vanilla yogurt
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    Hummus with carrots
    larabars - I LOVE THEM!
    If you live near a trader joes, I'm also a little bit addicted to their sour cream & onion corn puffs. 2.5 cups is only 140 calories (they're kind of like pirate's booty if you're familiar with that). Not necessarily the most nutritious, but satifies the munching thing for me.
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    I'll sometimes eat a bowl of nuts, dried fruit and add one or two pieces of chocolate in there.
  • Cheryl89
    Cheryl89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Fruit is always good but some fruits aren't as low in calories as you'd think. If it's something sweet or chocolatey that you want weight watchers does some nice deserts like the Belgium eclairs are only 81 and they taste just as good as the full fat ones. Cereal bars and light mini babybels are nice too. Petites filous yoghurts are small but low in calories and make a nice small after dinner treat. If you find yourself feeling the need to snack whether your hungery or not just for the sake of eating out of habbit then I find it can help a lot to make some small fruit flavoured ice cubes to suck on. You'll use so little juice in the ice that it's hardly counts as calories and it gives you something to do with your mouth to keep away the feeling that you need to snak so much. Chewing on gum helps too but I find that after a while my jaw starts to ache and once the gum is gone I still feel like I want to snack again and even gum has calories (not a lot but I count it anyway). The ice cubes help me a lot especially at night when Im sitting doing nothing and I'm bored but of course it makes ur mouth cold. You could also try chewing on a plastic straw or something.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I like to eat fruits or yogurt... I also love doing hummus with pita bread or a whole wheat tortilla. Also, I just started buying some fiber granola bars to help me get to my fiber goal per day. I think it's a Kroger brand, but they're called Active Lifestyle... they're 140 calories for the oats & chocolate, 150 for the oats & peanut butter (and the chocoalte tastes JUST like the Quaker Chewy bars!!! YUM!) and they fill me up for quite a bit. I love them.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    1 string cheese stick and 1 cup grapes.

It's a perfectly balanced snack. Protein, carbs and fat. I personally always have protein with every meal or snack whether it's meat, dairy or protein powder. It keeps the carb cravings in check. I've learned alot from reading Dr Sears Zone diet books. Very good info.
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    OK - I am sure I wll get "slammed" with these processed food choices - but they are all under 100 calories and are great for a sweet tooth! ...Oreo Funstix (90 cal) and TWO to a serving...Ritz handi - snack cheese & cracker (100 cal)...Quaker Chewy Oatmeal raisin low fat granola bars ( 90cal)
    OK -yes - they are processed!!! . I have a crazy /busy job which has me between any four buildings , at any time ,during the course of my day. I cannot carry snacks or water with me. I eat on the run often...and all my snacks taste great !
    ...and I AM losing weight!