Tai Chi

Options
I tried some Tai Chi today for the very first time and loved it, I'd really like to continue. I've been streaming the videos online but was thinking about getting a DVD because I think it might offer better structure than the short clips Youtube has to offer, etc. I know a class would probably be better for a beginner but with my children at home and my husband working long hours it would be hard for me to get to one. For anyone who does tai chi at home: What DVDs would you recommend for a beginner?

Replies

• martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Interested in this also.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I used to really enjoy my Scott Cole DVD.

Also, it looks like your youngest is an infant, but there might be a family tai chi class available.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Check out Dr Yang Jwing Ming's DVDs.

I wonder if it's possible for you to find a local sports centre that runs classes but also has a creche for the kids?
  • karenb125
    karenb125 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this too! I used to go to classes and enjoyed it but the classes were a bit too informal.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Starbucks! It's nice on a chilly spring morning.
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I get mine at Starbucks! It's nice on a chilly spring morning.

Lol, I see what you did there... ;-)

Pj
  • amarna13
    amarna13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for those who made suggestions. I'll check out the Scott Cole and Dr Yang Jwing Ming suggestions. There are some gyms around here that have childcare in them but they don't take infants, my youngest is 5 months old so that makes it hard when she's older it'll be easier.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I think that BeachBody (the makers of P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire, ect.) started doing some sort of Tai Chi series. I think.
  • taiji22
    taiji22 Posts: 13
    Options
    As a seasoned taiji practitioner, I'd like to suggest investing in a teacher who will do body alignment and corrections! This is extremely hard to understand as one is not simultaneously able to check one's own positioning and watching a dvd! It is difficult to correct bad habits as you go deeper into taiji, and also can lead to injuries. Yes, it is a gentle exercise, but the key is correct alignment!
  • taiji22
    Options
    Whoops! Sorry I missed the constraints at being unable to get a sitter! :blushing:
  • taiji22
    Options
    Just saw that there is a game being developed called tai chi elements - go to taichielelents.com!