A question about metabolism ;)

Options
So I've been told to keep eating small amounts throughout the day to keep my metabolism up. I try to stick with healthy trail mix, some nuts etc. But my question is, do calories from liquids count as well?

It's much easier for me to drink some v8 or vitaminwater through out the day then snack on food lol.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So I've been told to keep eating small amounts throughout the day to keep my metabolism up.

You were misinformed as meal frequency by itself does not boost metabolism. So, you don't need to do that at all if you don't wish to.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    First of all, you don't have to keep eating to keep your metabolism up. That has been debunked. And yes. Calories are calories, no matter where they come from. Your body will use those calories in any way it is able. That is why you will hear the term "empty calories". Because things like soda don't provide much in the way of nutrition as they are being digested.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've never seen any conclusive scientific evidence that shows spreading you calories through the day has any real effect compared to eating three or even only one meal per day. That being said, for the most part a calorie is a calorie when it comes to weight loss (not necessarily health but...) so if you are following that principle, yes, juices should work.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said.

If you're hungry, eat, if you're not, save it for when you are! it doesn't matter!
  • TanyaRochelle
    TanyaRochelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the metabolism part,
    but I prefer to eat every few hours so I won't overeat later.
    and every calorie you take in "counts" and can add up fast.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above posters, be aware that v8 has a grip of sodium in it and most of the vita waters have a good portion of sugar or corn syrup. Eat an apple or a tomato, way more beneficial.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Spreading your eating throughout the day is not for metabolism. It is for people with insulin issues. It helps keep insulin levels more even. If you don't have insulin problems eat whenever you want. I am hypoglycemic and if I go too long without eating I get shaky and light headed and then tend to overeat to get regulated again.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

^This^

I do better eating small, frequent meals - helps me ward off hunger and prevent cravings. The only thing that my trainer has indicated re: metablolism is to eat within 30 min of completing my workout, something with protein, and that will boost my metabolism as well as help with muscle repair.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

^This^

I do better eating small, frequent meals - helps me ward off hunger and prevent cravings. The only thing that my trainer has indicated re: metablolism is to eat within 30 min of completing my workout, something with protein, and that will boost my metabolism as well as help with muscle repair.
    Your trainer is wrong. The anabolic window is longer than an hour.
  • I took a Fitness For Life class last semester and my coach said to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours because it WILL boost your metabolism, and eating within 30 min of waking up starts your metabolism furnace to start burning. I don't know if anyone else agrees with that, but that's what my instructor said and I trust her word, especially since she's been involved in sports and fitness for over 25 years and is well into her 50's and looks fantastic! :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I took a Fitness For Life class last semester and my coach said to eat every 2.5 to 3 hours because it WILL boost your metabolism, and eating within 30 min of waking up starts your metabolism furnace to start burning. I don't know if anyone else agrees with that, but that's what my instructor said and I trust her word, especially since she's been involved in sports and fitness for over 25 years and is well into her 50's and looks fantastic! :)
    Your coach is wrong / has outdated information. There's nothing harmful about eating every couple hours, but there's no metabolic advantage to it either. Here's a thread with links to actual peer-reviewed research debunking the myths about meal timing:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol

The bottom line is that some prefer it for dietary adherence issues, gym performance or whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that - if it works for you, it's fine. There's just no truth to the thought that it "boosts the metabolism" or gives you a "jump start" in the morning.
  • That's great and all :) and no disrespect, but I'm going to stick with what my coach says because it's been working for me :) Thanks for the info though! I appreciate it! :)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    For some it is a good phsycological strategy, so there's no reason not to do it if it works for you. It's unfortunate that there is misinformation being propagated, though.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    That's great and all :) and no disrespect, but I'm going to stick with what my coach says because it's been working for me :) Thanks for the info though! I appreciate it! :)

If it is working FOR YOU then that's great! As long as you don't become one of the preachers that tout that as being the ONLY way you can succeed.

There are probably some minor benefits to meal timing, but they would be very minor when compared to a sound calorie controlled and balanced diet (regardless of when it was consumed.

btw, am I the only one who is confused by the fact that the same people who preach eating every couple of hours are the same folks who have eating curfews... giving you a long window of fasting late night/early morning? Seems a little counter intuitive to me. Unless your metabolism shuts off when we sleep of course :tongue:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's great and all :) and no disrespect, but I'm going to stick with what my coach says because it's been working for me :) Thanks for the info though! I appreciate it! :)

Hey if it works for you then more power to ya. As long as you know the truth, that it makes no actual difference, it really doesn't matter. I'd just avoid telling people WHY you do it ;)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The question about whether food boosts metabolism or not is a huge debate here, so I won't even go there.

For me, eating a healthy snack in the late afternoon keeps me from being really hungry at dinner ti me so it keeps me from overindulging at dinner. So if it's going to be more than 4-5 hrs between mealtimes I'll have some sort of healthy snack, preferably one higher in protein.

It also keeps me mindful of what I'm eating,and that's always a good thing.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Spreading your eating throughout the day is not for metabolism. It is for people with insulin issues. It helps keep insulin levels more even. If you don't have insulin problems eat whenever you want. I am hypoglycemic and if I go too long without eating I get shaky and light headed and then tend to overeat to get regulated again.

Same for me. I hate eating breakfast, but I have to. If you don't have an issue like this, don't worry about it. Eat when it works for you.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

They put it on the internet so it has to be true.

• They put it on the internet so it has to be true.

I've read it in books too...books written by TRAINERS