Anybody notice that summer is worse

Options
than the Christmas season for holding the line? I'm not saying I didn't eat shortbreads and chocolate and a few big family meals with gravy, pie, etc., but the whole season has a big red flag on it. Knowing this, I confined the indulgence to those family days, a party or two and a couple of treats of leftovers. I guess I gained from 2 - 4 lbs. and 2 are gone already.

A much bigger temptation issue for me is summer, when it's barbecues and other patio parties with wine flowing, hors d'oeuvres, people bringing over beer just for the heck of it, eating at outdoor restaurants, summer holiday splurges, etc., etc.

When I started here in Jan. 2011 I lost 19 lbs. over a few months, went on a cruise, put back on 5, lost it, then hit the summer. Gained 10 lbs. This summer was not as bad but I gained probably 3.

I know that keeping to the exercise regimen and logging is the key to success here - no biggy the season if you keep those in focus. But I just wondered if other people find summer to be their nemesis? I find not doing well then sets me up for what-the-hell carb-binging in the fall. I actually get better as Xmas approaches, because of that red flag.

Replies

• DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I do tend to eat a lot of good meals out in the summer (and good beers), but I find I move a lot more then too because it's nicer out. I commute via bike in summer too so I burn a lot there without even "trying." Also, when I'm not eating BBQ, I crave cold, refreshing foods like salads, or foods wrapped in lettuce.

Maybe use the summer holidays as red flag reminders?
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Summer is much easier for me too. I am more active, head to the beach with the kids a lot, eat seafood and salad etc etc.

Winter, however, I crave comfort food...
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I always gain weight in the summer, never over Christmas break. I actually usually start to lose weight around November and December cause I always get a cold and lose my appetite cause of all the phlegm and what-not lol. In the summer I drink more sugary beverages and more alcohol, plus I don't exercise as much because of the humidity.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    Summer is a helluva lot easier for me because I don't eat socially.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose weight during the winter months and then spend the summer putting it all back on. Ugh. I don't know why. Perhaps fear of bathing suits.... This summer will be different.
  • amarna13
    amarna13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Summer can be a bit of a draw for me. Yes, I go out to festivals and parties, etc. a lot more which includes some horrible food options. But I also have access to wonderful farmer's markets which provide me with lots of yummy, fresh produce to take some of the focus off the not-so-good foods. And I'm moving a lot more in the summer, I go for hikes, swimming, outside with my kids, long walks, etc. Personally for me the winter is the worst because I'm just not motivated to move as much, I like to exercise outside and I hate the cold.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Summer is easier for me. I love to eat salads and fresh cold food rather than warm comfort foods in the winter. I probably have the same amount of alcohol all year round too. Plus Summer is full of beautiful days to get out and about and winter is when I want to be all cwtched up, warm and cosy.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Oh no, don't get me thinking about bbq's and beer, I'm doing so well lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Summer tends to lift my mood, which can make me eat more, and want to eat out more if I cycle anywhere nice, plus ice creams are more prominent, but because I tend to cycle a lot over Summer, I tend to weigh less. I find cake and chocolate much more tempting in the colder weather.
  • alvin_grung
    alvin_grung Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm more active in the summer with gardening, golfing, and generally moving around more outside, - and I eat more salads and fresh foods - but I find I have more of an appetite as well. The barbeque is the killer, the food is so good, and somebody is always bring potato salad .... Exercise and food intake probably balance out, so I bet the difference is the alcohol - probably triple what I drink the the rest of the year.