Is it best to use up calories?

Options
When I had filled out the food diary for today, I had quite a few cals left...so I quickly gobbled a bag of wotsits and some oats with milk. Still below recommended. Was I too keen to eat more, or should I stick to the recommended 1200cals (or as near as possible) ? I don't want to under-eat incase my body starts storing..unless thats a myth?

Replies

• kkshipley
    kkshipley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would like to know the same thing. Would be interested in getting your thoughts on this.
  • Timbit5
    Timbit5 Posts: 10
    Options
    you don't want your body to go into starvation mode....eat
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    Think I'll start eating a proper breakfast to make sure I use cals up. Don't really want to start snacking just to use up cals :)
  • Timbit5
    Timbit5 Posts: 10
    Options
    It is not a myth your body work like a car....needs food(fuel) to run correctly
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is really low. I recommend eating all 1200 and then some!

You need to calculate your BMR & TDEE, then figure out what you should be eating..!
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    Thank you, I will make sure I stick to the recommended :)
  • labyrinth84
    Options
    What are those? I have heard of BMI, but not the ones you have mentioned. MyFitnessPlan has recommended 1200 for me.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Given that all your input is close, yes, eat to goal daily.
    Too much over or under can stifle progress.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    BMR= basal metabolic weight and TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. If you Google it, you can find calculators & stuff. MyFitnessPal also recommended 1200 for me, but most days, I feel like that's just too low :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is really low. I recommend eating all 1200 and then some!

You need to calculate your BMR & TDEE, then figure out what you should be eating..!

This^^^ You need to, at minimum, NET to BMR. BMR is the bare bones your body needs for proper organ function if you're in a coma. Eating well below your BMR for extended periods of time wreaks havoc on your body and you will go into metabolic stall eventually...which will actually be the least of your worries.

Mind you, that is NET. In other words...if your BMR is 1,300 calories and you make that your goal and do not include daily exercise as part of your activity in calculating TDEE and you burned 300 calories working out, you would need to eat back those 300 calories to get back to a net of 1,300 while your gross would be 1,600.

If you net between BMR and TDEE you will lose weight in a healthy way.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Also, feel free to add me! I peeked at your profile & see we're the same height/have similar goals
  • robertdacunto
    Options
    i have 739 cals left...i'm wondering if i should eat also...or not, that is the question...LOL
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat what MFP recommends that you eat...If you have a few calories left over its no big deal,but if you have hundreds left over very often just try to plan your meals better.