Ellipticals for the very obese? Suggestions?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chrisswa
    Options
    When I first started using one i could barely do 1 min. Now i could use it all day long if i didnt get bored. Its a great workout.
  • Talus731
    Talus731 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I bought my elliptical off a friend a few months back, I couldn't do 2 minutes without feeling like I was going to die. After a few tries I gave up. A couple months ago I tried it again, still kicked my heiny. But I kept at it. I was doing 2 minutes twice a day, then 5 minutes twice a day. I am now up to 35 minutes, once a day and I still cuss like a crazy lady during the last few minutes. It's tough, but it is worth it.

Do what you can, and as much as you can. Pretty soon you will be up to 20, 30, 45. You can do it!

BTW I am 5'7 and 255 as of today!!
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, I was doing it at 330 lbs (5'7) and it gets easier. It's only a challenge for me if I do it for over 90 mins at a time. Have u tried one lately so you know it's for u?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've heard of a lot of people who could only do 5 mins on the elliptical when they first started, but as they kept at it, they could do more and more.

Do as much as you can do at a time! Eventually, you will be able to do it for longer and longer.

Whatever you do, don't quit!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5' 11" man. Sept 2011 i was around 250 lbs, I'm now around 198lbs. The treadmill bothered my knees, so I did the elliptical, which I still prefer for my indoor cardio workouts. I doubt I lasted 10 minutes at first, i can do a whole hour now. I have the settings hard enough that my shirt and underware are pretty moist after an hour of use.
    In retrospect, at 250lbs, if I had just tried to increase the length and ammount of walks I did, I think i would have seen similar results. HOWEVER, I thought walks were boring.
    Whatever you decide to do, it's better to be in for the long haul at a turtle's pace, than to go all out and get burned out in a week.
  • Animi411
    Animi411 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 350lbs.... I started at the gym with just 20 minutes.

It was enough to get my heart rate up and sweating. I stopped cause I got fatigued and dizzy. As I go along in a couple of weeks I might add 5 min. I will do only as much as my body tells me.