Periods stopped....

.....due to diet! Definately not pregnant ....... i'm not sure if it's due to low carb or not enough cals??

anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• I know that girls with eating disorders usually stop having periods because their bodies can't support it or something...

I'm not sure what all the actual medical stuff for that is, but if you're super duper skinny and not having periods, you may need to start gaining some body fat.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    see a doctor
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Second see a doctor. If your periods stop because of your diet you are too thin, and putting yourself at risk.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    See an actual doctor.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Yes see a doctor, been low carb for over a year and its never stopped. Even a slight possibility of pregnancy? That's my first instinct when that happens to me.
    Good luck to you :)
  • joanmarienana
    joanmarienana Posts: 69 Member
    Please see a doctor; one reason periods stop is when your body fat % gets too low. Don't risk your health.
  • Many people can experience irregularity when they drop more then 15% of their original body mass, but to stop completely isn't right.

Now for TMI, I get mine bi weekly since I lost the weight, which is freaking annoying.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    .....due to diet! Definately not pregnant ....... i'm not sure if it's due to low carb or not enough cals??

anyone else experienced this?

Or too dietary fat? Or too low body fat? Or losing too fast? Or overexercising? Or nutrient deficiencies? Please go to a doctor, there is every chance your hormone levels have been off for many months to get to menstruation ceasing.
  • jackdaniels1234123
    jackdaniels1234123 Posts: 89 Member
    I am not too thin, i am not even skinny.

I overheard someone at work mention that a low carb diet can stop periods....

Will see DR!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    How much are you eating? Even if you are not too thin yet, it can stop due to underfeeding.....
  • mgram2
    mgram2 Posts: 128 Member
    I stopped having a period for 7 months. Now I get it every few months or so.
    I haven't seen a doctor.. but I'm sure it's calorie related.
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Have you had a recent weight gain?

Can you provide your age, height & weight? it will help us to help you :)
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Under eating...over-training can cause this...and as other have said, see your Dr...
    :flowerforyou:
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    This is not a question for the internet- it is a question for your doctor. Even if it has nothing to do with your diet or weight, this can be a sign of serious problems.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    once your BMI is too low, your body stops menstruating, please see a Dr, and if your BMI is not low, see a Dr anyway....if something about your body that is normal, stops happening, it is a sign of something...just get it checked. please. :flowerforyou:
  • shaunap3
    shaunap3 Posts: 206 Member
    There's a thousand reasons, diet and non-diet related that could stop a period. Definitely see your gyno and see what they say!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Many people can experience irregularity when they drop more then 15% of their original body mass, but to stop completely isn't right.

Now for TMI, I get mine bi weekly since I lost the weight, which is freaking annoying.

This is actually untrue.

Disruption of LH pulsatlity and ovarian function has more to do with too low of net calories (energy availability) over a brief period of time as demonstrated in this landmark study by Anne B Loucks: http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/88/1/297.full

Also, according to this study ( http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/early/2012/04/24/jc.2012-1444.abstract?rss=1 ) netting too low of calories for five consecutive days can result in cycle disruption, regardless of lean body mass lost

ETA: you should still talk to a doctor about this
    Special thanks to GeekyJock76
  • First off, I would advise you to see your doctor--maybe you're pregnant, maybe you're not, maybe it's some other physiologic issue related to the female reproductive system.

One thing to consider--If you have lost a lot of weight (especially if you have had a large decrease in body fat), that may be a possible cause for your missed period(s). If a woman's body fat percentage (in relation to body mass) is too low, the body recognizes that it does not have enough "reserve" to support a growing fetus, and therefore "skips" the female reproductive processes (aka ovulation, menstruation, etc).

****Again, as other members have already advised--please be sure to see a doctor to make sure this isn't a more serious issue. Also, pay attention for other symptoms that may be related such as pelvic pain, nausea, discharge, spotting, etc....so that you can report them to your doctor as well*** Good luck
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Can I ask what calorie limit you are currently on? If you are consuming on the lower end (around the 1200 mark) then it is a very real possibility that your periods have stopped because you are eating below your BMR (too few calories to keep all of your bodily functions happy). If you exercise on top of this and don't eat your calories back then you are definitely eating below BMR.

Google BMR and work yours out. You should not eat below that for sustained periods of time or your body will start kicking non-essentials to the curb (periods...peeling fingernails...dry brittle falling out hair etc).

Go to your doctor and get some guidance on this and be honest with how much you have been eating and working out.
  • Another symptom of stopped periods is Poylcystic Ovarian Syndrome, usually a small % of body weight loss will start them again. Again, check with your doctor. So many benign reasons this could be happening.