First spin class.... nervous. What can I expect?

Options
Doing my first spin class today with my dad and he's very excited for me so I don't want to back out now.. regular bikes always hurt my butt... so what can i wear and what can i expect?

Replies

• FitbeTMF
    FitbeTMF Posts: 251
    Options
    Caution. It is so EASY to overdo it in spin. My first class I puked. Was so embarrassing.
  • clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Personally I do not like spin class!! My good friend who is also a trainer LOVES it and teaches a class I am going to go to this Friday! My biggest issue is my butt and groin area gets SOOO sore afterwards. Also it is very intense, you really don't get any sort of break at all. Even if the spin guy/girl is yelling to go hard and fast, listen to your body!
  • FitbeTMF
    Options
    As for your butt. Trust me. The instructor will tell you to get in and out of the saddle so much you won't notice your tooshie
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    ask for set up help! And positions before you start..from instructor

I would HIGHLY advice getting a padded seat...they sell at target and such..

Some...have rubbed certain areas.....uhhh.... well.. I wont go any further...:noway: :noway:

You are off the seat a lot..but I swear by that extra padding!!!!
  • Beeky85
    Beeky85 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Doing my first spin class today with my dad and he's very excited for me so I don't want to back out now.. regular bikes always hurt my butt... so what can i wear and what can i expect?

I used to hate spinning my first few sessions- sore butt, feeling pukey etc. Now I love it! If I can't do some of the moves then I will just sit and spin but maybe increase the tension. Good luck :)
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I took 3 semesters of spin class at my college, and I have taken a few classes at the gym. A lot of your experience depends on your instructor. I love spinning when my instructor shares my style of work out music. :) I wear padded bike shorts. It is a great work out, have fun!
  • FitbeTMF
    Options
    How did it go???
  • justvap1
    Options
    I did . spin class ONCE! All I can say is I had a baby six weeks before, and was less sore from giving birth than I was from an hour in spin!
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    I love my spin classes its one of my favs !! the more you do it the easier it gets. Expect to be tender when u sit and expect to sweat up a storm. The more you do it (as with anything) the easier it gets ... Good luck
  • samanthasky
    samanthasky Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    How did it go???

It was actually not too bad! My butt was pretty sore but my dad was so proud of me. He said for someone who has never cycled before, I had a pretty good form. The second I finished I wasn't tired but it hit me like a wave and then I was EXHAUSTED.
  • lillenisse
    lillenisse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was petrified of going to spinning class with a friend after I had a torturous spinning experience a few years ago. I now go twice a week, and absolutely love it!

Best advice I can give a beginner is DO NOT BE AFRAID. You control the resistence of the bike and can go as fast or slow as you like so use the first calss or so to just get used to the feeling of the class, the moves the instructor introduces to the class etc. Everyone else in the class is so busy concentrating on themselves, no one will notcie what you're doing! Then when you're comfortable you can push as hard as you like. :-)

Your butt will be sore after the first couple of times but that eases and lots of people in my class wear special spinning shorts with a padded bottom area so that's always an option if you start to get into spinning.

Lastly, have fun and well done you for going in the first place!