New here, and could use the help!

Options
Ok, let me start off by saying I'm excited for this journey! I have over 100lbs to lose and the thought of that makes me sick. I don't think I have fully grasped it either. But anyways,I need help, friends, pushers,motivators..you get the picture :) I am a big excuse giver, I always have been. It's not something I'm proud of and before I can even think,I give an excuse as to why I didn't exercise, or why I can't go to the gym, or why I need that ice cream! I'm working on stopping this!
Here's where you come in! I have no idea where to start, I mean I have some ideas. When I lost the 32lbs a few years ago,the only thing I did different was I ate 3 meals a day and some fruit here and there in between. So logically I would think that just doing that again would produce the same results, but I'm never hungry! When I'm at work I don't usually eat until dinner. :/
Well I think I have rambled enough! Feel free to comment with any ideas, or words of wisdom.

Replies

• castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    One Sunday morning, last May, I woke up and said "I am too Fat and today, I am going to do something about it" I then asked my husband if he wanted to go up to the high school track and run with me.
    I ran less then one lap and thought I was going to DIE! I wanted to unzip my chest and lay on the ground with my tongue hanging out.. So I walked and had a beet red face for hours after.
    But I didn't quit and 6 months later, I dumped 46 lbs and I can run 16 laps.
    I also ran a 5K.
    I feel much better, my face doesn't get beet red anymore and I look forward to my workouts, especially on my run days.
    Imagine that? Looking forward to a workout? I used to HATE running. Hated it. But now I love it.

Please don't think FAD diets are any good. Skip Atkins, Pills, Starvation, liquid diets, etc.

What does work is Diet + Exercise + Willpower .. that is the plain truth.

Once you start to see results in yourself, drop a clothing size, feel stronger etc, it will motivate you to do even more.
    Stay true to yourself, use My Fitness Pal every day and be truthful on it. It is for you.

You can do this if you want to.
    Good luck.

You can add me as a friend if you would like.
  • gothisavi
    gothisavi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i'm the same, i'm a night eater and rarely eat during the day.
    I lost weight in the past at least 30 lbs but it was through hardly eating and literally crash dieting which i am trying to avoid this time around and have so far.
    I think this site will help because people motivate you and pick you up! I'm more than happy if you want to add me!
    we can do it :)
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    When I started out here all I did was just count calories. I didn't restrict what I ate. I just stuck within my calorie limit and let myself have one cheat day a week to go over my limit. And if I wanted to eat something that would put me over my limit, I would make myself earn the calories by walking or hiking or riding my bike to burn the amount of calories I wanted to eat. I suggest you start out that way. Just seeing how many calories you are eating and what a real serving size is versus what you thought it was will teach you so much and you'll start regulating yourself. It's so much easier to eat healthy when your attitude is "I can, but I don't want to" versus the usually "I want to, but I can't". You definitely won't feel as deprived.

The biggest lesson I've learned through my journey is that exercise is only 20% of losing weight. What and how you eat is 80% of it. The first six months of just counting calories - no regular exercise - helped me lose 30 pounds. Gradually I started to incorporate regular exercise and now I'm up to six days a week, but I did it at my own pace and as I lost weight and felt more energetic, suddenly working out was fun to me and not a chore or a struggle.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • lisacarey6
    Options
    Hi Jessi
    My name is Lisa and I am almost 51 years old over the last 7 years I have lost 100 lbs. It has not been easy but I have a supportive husband. Every time I do not count my food I start to slowly gain weight back. I have to make myself accountable. I also exercise almost daily for at least an hour. This is not easy but I have turned it into my way of life. Have faith in yourself and dont beat yourself up. Mayo clinic made me weigh myself everyday to be accountable. I quit doing this and put 10 pounds back on so here I am being accountable again. Good luck, I think support and being accountable is what I need to stay on my weight loss journey.
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    i wish i had advice and tips. i set myself a goal date to start jan 1st and go from there. i ate a ton! had my final total over calorie kill meal.. i drank and drank new years eve.. and here i am. i started at 265lbs jan 1st. im not at 250 in just 10 days. no quick fix here. its been work work work. 1400 calories give or take a day and an average of an hour a day on the elliptical. im not trying to be mean and i dont know you and your situation. but it depends the amount of work you put into it to get results. and eating alone will not always do it. you have to burn more then you consume to lose weight. and when you skip meals your body will store instead of lose. do you have equipment at home? do you have access to a gym? even just walking around the neighborhood or a park close by? you have to set yourself mini goals and do it. dont rely on friends and people around you to motivate you. cause they may not be serious and stick to it. you have to do this for you. and even if i cant be there to go drill sergeant on your butt... message me anytime and lets motivate each other to do more! ill jump on my machine or throw my shoes on and walk too even if i cant be there:)
  • Alli0202
    Alli0202 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey I just posted a very similiar message...I am new here too! So...hopefully we can do this together!
  • mscarr1973
    Options
    Hello! I'm new here and I have about 80 pounds that I would like to shedd. I lost 80 pounds about 10 years ago before getting pregnant with my last child. I'm determined. Year after year I say the same thing but I never put any action behind it. I'm proud to say that I joined the YMCA and I have been exercising and eating a lot better. I have to remind myself to eat...It's amazing how good I feel. Now I'm adding My Fitness Pal as another tool to hold me accountable!! I look forward to the support and finding friends with similar goals and likes.
  • Northwest_Bob
    Northwest_Bob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there jessibb,

Best of luck to you in your journey. My diet used to be meat, potatoes, and ice cream. I used Nutrisystem to lose 30 pounds. From studying their web site and sticking with their basic eating plan, I have been able to maintain using my own food. Much cheaper and tastes better.

I have pdf files of both their old and new plans. I like the old plan better. It is easy to follow. But the new plan has days on your own. This is the key to doing this with your own food. If you would like I can send them to you. Send me a message if you are interested and I will figure out a way to send you the files.

If you look at my page on this web site you can get an idea of what I eat. Don't look at today's eating. I pigged out on two cookies and two mini quiches. I am allowed 1670 calories these days to lose a pound a week. It will probably about the same for you at the beginning because you have a lot to lose. Women generally get in the range of 1250 or so.

Be of good cheer! You will be amazed at how much better you feel when you have lost 10% or even 5% of your current weight. No one will make fun of you here. We are all in the same boat.

Best regards,
    Northwest Bob
  • marine71
    Options
    Think of exercise as something you get to do not something you have to do. For instance, my son has MD and he cannot run, cannot jump, cannot lift weight, cannot hike, cannot ride a bike, etc....even if he wanted to. So my way of seeing things is: I get the privilege to be able to use my legs and exercise. It is about your mindset. Make the switch in your head.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    you're never hungry, and you're overweight? huge red flag, your metabolism is probably shot! you need to eat 6 times a day this is what I've done for two years and it has worked wonders. Also I cleaned up my diet in a major way, and started working out. Now I run, and work my butt off at the gym - and I LOVE it!! feel free to add me.
  • nlbrown94GMAILCOM
    Options
    I just started this in support of my hubby, but now i've lost 4.2 lbs. and Im exited! I am reading the book Beyond Diet: Pure Fat Burning Fuel". I had no idea how much of the food we buy is processed and FULL of sugar! I am cutting all that out and eating whole foods instead. A lot to learn yet, but wow is it working!
  • jlbryant2
    jlbryant2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello and good luck on this journey! About 6 years ago, Ifinally decided that it was time to make a change because I was overweight and very unhealthy. I had three very active toddlers and couldn't keep up with them but had tried many diets including Atkins and Dr. Phil, I would be successful but then would gain it back later, plus some. A co-worker introduced me to the South Beach Diet and I read the book and was excited to get started. The one thing it preached was a lifestyle change, that it was not a diet but just learn how to eat and what to eat. I took that to heart and lost 50 pounds and kept it off. Lately, I wanted to get more in shape so I'm on here for support because my co-workers who were my support system are gone since I changed jobs. My advice is to not buy into any diet but research and learn what/how to eat.

Good luck and we are here to help each other
  • Northwest_Bob
    Northwest_Bob Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just thought of one other thing. There is no magic here. But if there is any magic, it is drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Drink one full glass before each time you eat. This will make you feel a lot fuller. I agree with others that eating 5-6 times a days helps. This keep your metabolism and blood sugar on an even keel. I eat breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, an afternoon snack, and dinner with a small dessert, usually fat free pudding. It is basically the Nutrisystem diet without buying their food.