Foods that make you full

Options
Hello, I love to eat and Im struggling with this diet as salad etc do not fill me up.
Any filling food but not a lot of calories?

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I eat big cabbage salads. About 3 cups of raw cabbage, throw in some broccoli, radishes, cucumber, tomato, whatever floats your boat. I usually top it with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. It's very filling for somewhere around 100 calories, depending on what veggies and dressing you use.
  • archie1964
    archie1964 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, Try eating broccoli and cauliflower with meals, just blanche them off so you don't take all the goodness out. Also Roast Pumkin is good. These will fill you up too.
    Chicken stirfry with the above vegies is also great.

Also substitue rice with cauliflower, grate the cauliflower and stirfry up for a few minutes (no oil off course) and use it with many other dishes.

Try making some mini quiches for inbetween meals as they will also fill you up and around 60 calories,(50g) make sure they include the above vegies and maybe some asparagus

hope this helps
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, fish, yogurt, egg whites.

Unless you're vegetarian/vegan.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and greek yoghurt I find very filling.
    Also, I found you have to get the right combination of food for you. Some people get full on lots of protein and veggies, others need more wholegrain carbs to remain full, or a little fat added to their meals. I find that I get hungry again soon if I have just protein and veggies, no matter how much protein I have, or if I don't have any fat in my meals.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    chicken breast or cottage cheese
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Protein fluff will fill you up to uncomfortable levels with under 400 calories. Look it up. Essentially it's...

1 scoop protein (casein works the best)
    1 cup liquid (skim milk, almond milk, milk etc)
    2 or 3 Egg whites (optional)
    1 tsp Xanthan or Guar gum (optional but recommended.
    Finely crushed ice, until it's like snow

Put all of that with a whip attachment into a stand mixer and you'll create something similar to cool whip.

You really need a good blender for this, the oster just will not cut it.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Any food with lots of protein
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    I find that soup (as long as its broth or vegetable based and not something full of cream and fat) can be very filling for not very many calories. To me they feel a lot more substantial than a salad!!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Some people claim fiber to be filling. For me, proteins and good fats are more filling. Eggs, nuts, lean meats, etc
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Good call on the cabbage too. Broth is your friend if you're really trying to save on calories. Take a half of a head of green cabbage, 16 oz chicken breast with all visible fat trimmed, a couple packs of Sazon Goya and a can of black beans (or not) and let it cook for a few hours on low. (don't forget to add some water)
  • RobynMcGregor
    Options
    Didn't matter what I ate I was never 'full' and 5 minutes later I would want to eat again. Then I discovered chia seeds. Soaked in water and added to smoothies or sprinkled over cereal and my life has changed. I am losing the weight I need to get rid of and no longer feel like eating the furniture from sheer hunger in between meals and snacks. In fact I occasionally discover I have forgotten to eat which has never ever happened before. May not work for everyone but it certainly does for me. 2 tbsp soaked overnight in cup of water then add the gel they make to smoothies , protein drinks etc. and the gel can be substituted for eggs in baking as well.
  • lindan70
    lindan70 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find roasted veggies really fill me up. This is the recipe I use or roasted cauliflower. I cut it down to 1/4 head, 2 tsp of oil since it's just me.

2 heads of cauliflower
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of pepper
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Wash and clean the cauliflower. Cut off and discard the stem. Cut the cauliflower up into small pieces.
    In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, salt and pepper. Add the cauliflower pieces and thoroughly coat each piece.
    Place cauliflower pieces onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for one hour and turn 3 times during cooking until each piece has a nice brown coloring. The browner they are the better.
    Remove from oven and enjoy!
  • starryfruit
    Options
    I have found that I am comfortably full on a bowl of 2-3 small/medium boiled potatoes and a little salt and hot sauce. I was (foolishly) worried about the high carbs at first, but potatoes are the best food for satiety, after I eat a bowl of potatoes I'm not hungry again or even thinking about food for a minimum of 7-8 hours...maybe you could try that and see how it makes you feel :)
  • Mwheeler814
    Mwheeler814 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I get SUPER hungry but I've already eaten I snack on protein bars or fiber one bars and they tend to fill me up, but not overload my daily calorie goal. So maybe you could try that for a snack.
    Best of luck (:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am stuffed after a big veggie/meat stir-fry.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I second chicken breast.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, homemade. Add nuts or raisins and a drizzle of real maple syrup and you'll be full for hours. :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Put avocado and nuts in your salad. Oh and remember salads are so low in calories.. I eat either 1/2 or whole family size salad serving bowl full when i that's my dinner (with 1 serving of meat in it.) - see my lunch today and dinner yesterday.. lol

natural peanut butter on celery

Nuts

Oatmeal

grilled or baked chicken breast on whole wheat with salsa and avocado
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Some people claim fiber to be filling. For me, proteins and good fats are more filling. Eggs, nuts, lean meats, etc

^^^^^ this - I used to do the tons of fibre - and I would still be hungry..... Some good protein, and good fat ( avocado, coconut, nut oils) and all is well in hunger land for me - it works every time! I make sure I eat protein in each meal breakfast, lunch and dinner - and if I am still peckish I would have a protein snack....
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i make a pizza on flat bread, large size crust... 1/4 cup pizza sauce, i cut up loads of veggies, i mean loads!!! (tomatoe, red onion, green, red, yellow and orange peppers, olive, spinach, mushroom, green onion, cilantro, fresh garlic, etc.) pile them a couple inches high on top, some turkey sausage, and 1/4 cup reduced fat motz cheese... then smother it in jalepenos... mmmmmmmmm and its under 300 calories!!!

heres what i use for crust http://www.flatoutbread.com/