Can you Eat to Correct Hormones from Thyroid?

Options
Can you Eat to Correct Hormones from Thyroid?

Replies

• islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Have you been diagnosed with a thyroid issue? If so, hypo or hyper?

There are some foods that can help or hinder, depending on the nature of the thyroid issue, but there is no food that will fully correct it either way.

There are also some vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can make hypothyroid worse, so supplementing with those or eating foods to supplement can help. But again, not going to fully correct it.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    You need medicine. If you have Hashimoto's, that's an autoimmune disorder. Food won't fix it.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    A lot of the problem with our foods is that they have been sprayed with pesticides that mimic estrogen. Plastics mimic estrogen too. Our meats have been injected with hormones. So as women, we get too much estrogen in our bodies and it causes all kinds of problems including hypothyroidism. Progesterone is the balancing hormone for estrogen, and is only produced in the corpus luteum. Because many women take estrogen for birth control, it sends our bodies into estrogen dominance.

I suggest you google the term "estrogen dominance" and do some research.

If you want to reduce the amount of abnormal estrogen in your body then move to organic fruits and vegetables and buy hormone-free meats. Also, do not heat any foods in the microwave in plastic, or store acidic foods in plastic. If you are on birth control, talk to your doctor to see if there are other lower estrogen choices, or if you can start using a progesterone cream to help balance out the estrogen.
  • KristyStuebe
    KristyStuebe Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Everyone for commenting I truly appreciate it.
    I have been reading all these way to "Eat" correctly for proper thyroid levels
    They say its underactive however, putting me on the medicine makes me so tired and lazy vs. when im not. However, some of my other symptoms due go away on the meds, but sometimes the tiredness it caused just doesnt seem worth it.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Thanks to Everyone for commenting I truly appreciate it.
    I have been reading all these way to "Eat" correctly for proper thyroid levels
    They say its underactive however, putting me on the medicine makes me so tired and lazy vs. when im not. However, some of my other symptoms due go away on the meds, but sometimes the tiredness it caused just doesnt seem worth it.

What meds have you tried? Was it a T4 only med like Synthroid or Levothyroxine?

I would ask your doctor to test your free T3 and free T4, and if they are low (even if they are "within normal range" low = hypothyroid) ask to be put on Armour or Nature Thyroid.

I'd also get your selenium, iron, ferritin and Vit D levels checked. Most north americans are seriously Vit D deficient...! You want it between 60-80 and not just at the bottom of the range (30).