Weird rash-- what is it?

Options
I wasn't sure where to categorize this, so if this isn't the right place, I'm sorry. I'm looking for some opinions on a rash that I keep developing. I'm not sure if it is diet related or what (it's localized to my throat and upper chest area). For the past year or so, this rash comes and goes. Sometimes I will wake up in the morning with this bizarre feeling on my skin-- kind of a remotely itchy/tingly feeling. Within 24 hours or so, this weird rash will show up. Up close, it looks bumpy and feels.... velvety? It is completely painless and very mildly itchy. I do not wear necklaces and I haven't changed anything in my routine in the way of perfumes or soaps or anything.

I'm worried this is a symptom of an illness or something odd going on with toxins or something. The picture I'm posting shows it as being very small. This just started a day or two ago and it has quintupled in size since then. My doctor just said to put hydrocortisone on it, but it's not helping.

Any ideas? Anyone have anything like this before? (PS: Sorry the pic is sideways-- it's not saved like that on my computer, but photobucket changed it).

rash.jpg

Replies

• barb_32
    barb_32 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Maybe shingles (don't know if I spelled that correctly). Have you been under stress lately?
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Go see a physician and not seek medical advice via the message boards.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options

I have gone to the doctor, but he just dismisses it. I'm not like... worried I'm about to die or something. If it were dire I'd go to the ER-- but this isn't dire. Just curious.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Go see your doctor. A public message board is not the place to ask for medical advice. We aren't physicians. And any physician, that may happen to be on here, that would answer your question isn't the type of doctor you want.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    Go see your doctor. A public message board is not the place to ask for medical advice. We aren't physicians. And any physician, that may happen to be on here, that would answer your question isn't the type of doctor you want.

OK, well as I said, I've already gone to the doctor and he isn't concerned. That's why I was coming here to see if anyone had anything similar just out of curiosity.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I have gone to the doctor, but he just dismisses it. I'm not like... worried I'm about to die or something. If it were dire I'd go to the ER-- but this isn't dire. Just curious.

Get another Doctor!
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You said you're worried about it, then say it's no biggy because your doctor feels that way....My conclusion: Neck herpes.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options

OK, well as I said, I've already gone to the doctor and he isn't concerned. That's why I was coming here to see if anyone had anything similar just out of curiosity.

Find another doctor.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I get that as well only mine r like very small festers that r like a very small pimple
    I also get the bumpy rash but when I eat descent and drink the water they go away

Dr dismissed mine too!
  • LATeagno
    Options
    You said you're worried about it, then say it's no biggy because your doctor feels that way....My conclusion: Neck herpes.

LOL-- I hope it's not neck herpes. :)

It's more curiosity than anything. I know weight loss can trigger toxin releases, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that.

Also, getting another doctor is a huge pain in the butt-- I have an HMO that requires me to visit a PCP for a referral. Getting him to refer me could be like pulling teeth. Not saying I wouldn't do it-- just came here to see if anyone else had had anything similar.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What type of doctor did you see? If you didn't already, see a dermatologist and not a general practitioner. Also, any other symptoms?
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It could be allergy related, it could be eczema, it could be bacterial, ect! Try consulting with a dermatologist.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    What type of doctor did you see? If you didn't already, see a dermatologist and not a general practitioner. Also, any other symptoms?

Just my GP-- stupid insurance requires a referral for everything. My doctor took all of 30 seconds to look at it. *sigh*

No other symptoms.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I would see a different doc if possible (maybe a dermatologist).

Are you taking any medications? Sometimes certain meds can cause a rash reaction. Also take note if you've had any changes in soaps or perfumes, ect... (let your doctor know). Kind of looks like eczema to me but it could be lots of things so don't take my word for it!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I get that as well only mine r like very small festers that r like a very small pimple
    I also get the bumpy rash but when I eat descent and drink the water they go away

Dr dismissed mine too!

I have a son who was a very picky eater as a small child. He would get a rash that sounds like what you are describing. Our pediatrician diagnosed it as mild malnutrition, fully aware of our son's eating habits.

Serious? Not so serious?

I repeat... seek a different physician!
  • Wavels616
    Options
    Everyone is telling you to go see a doctor.....what they should have said was see a dermatologist.....they are the only ones who can give you the answer you seek. Good luck.
  • robooth101
    robooth101 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's in a crease on your neck, so maybe it's just heat rash. Since hydrocortisone isn't working, try diaper rash ointment (the white kind, not the clear kind) and see if that doesn't dry it out.
  • LATeagno
    Options
    Don't worry, guys-- I'm not coming here as an alternative to seeing a doctor. I appreciate the thoughtful responses. I'm going to have to beg my PCP for a referral to a dermatologist. Blah. I hate insurance sometimes.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Is it possibly a seasonal thing (I get eczema in cold, dry weather)?

In any event, I would definitely go see a dermatologist instead of a GP. They can give you super-duper cortisone creams. :love:
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Maybe shingles (don't know if I spelled that correctly). Have you been under stress lately?

Shingles doesn't present like this and it's VERY painful. Could be something fungal. (very common) I would ask your PCP for a referral to a Dermatologist and get it cultured. I HATE when doctor's just dismiss an obvious symptom because they don't know what it is! And everyone is right... we aren't doctors so anything we could tell you would, at best, be an educated guess.