Ab exercises for women?

Options
Hey ya'll! I'm trying to do my best to lose the flab around my midsection. Can anyone recommend some exercises? Other than the regular crunches. Thanks!!

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Ab exercises aren't what makes you lose the flab around your stomach. That comes from losing fat which comes from burning more calories than you eat.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Are you at home or do you have access to a gym? Planks are easy to do at home , you can alternate balancing on one arm or two. grab a broomstick and place it behind your neck resting there and keep lower body straight and twist from side to side. grab some dumbells and stand up straight lowering dumbell from side to other side going up and down the length of your body..lot's of stuff in a gym you can do just watch what the fit chic's are doing and copy them.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The only way to lose the fat, is to lose the fat. Meaning, you will need to be in a calorie deficit for this reduction to take place!

However, to give you more core strength, planks and heavy lifting are excellent for this. I don't really do much isolated ab work. Squats and deadlifts take care of that!
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    If you want to lose the flab around your midsection then you need to lose fat, not strengthen your abs. I don't know where people got the idea that exercising an area makes it smaller but it's simply not true. That being said, before you decide you are going to perform a specific exercise, you need to know what kind of training effect you are attempting to illicit by the performance of that exercise. For example, if you are trying to jump higher you would need to perform exercises that will directly effect your lower body strength and explosiveness. In your case, all you need to do is lose fat which DOES NOT require the performance of abdominal exercises. Strength training as a whole could help you reach your goal in conjunction with cardiovascular exercise and proper diet but doing endless sets of crunches in search of a flat tummy will leave you nothing more than tired, overworked and disappointed.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Exercises for women are the same as exercises for men. But no amount of crunches is going to get you the results you're looking for. To get rid of belly flab (or any other flab) you're going to have to lose weight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dead lifts and squats
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight. I guess I chose my words wrong. I want to strengthen my abs, tone if you will. I am losing the weight so I know that will go down, but I need to tone and strengthen.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    As everyone said so far, you will not spot reduce no matter what you do.

Then the focus of an ab exercise should be on making your abs stronger. Core strength's importance cannot really be overstated.

My favorite so far is Ab Wheel Rollout. Tutorial -> http://www.beastskills.com/ab-wheel-rollout/
    When you can do the full movement on that one you have abs of steel. By that time whatever you do for cutting calories will most likely have progressed quite a bit, so your core will look good and be very strong :)
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    dead lifts and squats

YES
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    dead lifts and squats

YES
    Seconded.

Also, what everyone said about a calorie deficit and losing weight.

Don't stop believing!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    dead lifts and squats

YES
    Seconded.

Don't stop believing!

hold on to that feeeeelinnnnn
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    grab a broomstick and place it behind your neck resting there and keep lower body straight and twist from side to side.

Please don't do this. It can really screw up your back. (We used to do it at softball but its stopped beig used years ago)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    i only know the men ones. wish i could help. :indifferent:
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    leg raises, rowers, bicycles a few ab excercises I do, but like everyone else said you can't spot reduce. I recommend lifting, it works, slowly but great! I can feel the abs under the fat, can't wait for the day I can see them!!

- JoAnna
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    dead lifts and squats

YES
    Seconded.

Don't stop believing!

"heavy Squats and Deadlifts" is the proper answer for practically any fitness question. ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    dead lifts and squats

YES
    Seconded.

Don't stop believing!

"heavy Squats and Deadlifts" is the proper answer for practically any fitness question. ;)

i like you.

you can come over to my house and **** my sister any time.
  • kobly
    kobly Posts: 2
    Options
    Planking is very good for core,as well as crunches and different forms of core work....using a yoga ball,medicine ball...etc...all the best...:)
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Sit with your back flat against a wall and bend your legs so your feet are touching eatch other (kinda like indian style but not crossed) and have them raised a bit above the ground and then push them straight out keep repeating this with them not touching the ground for as long as u can. Feels like a situp when you do this only you're sitting upright and it feels like it burns faster.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I don't know, old article but it does make sense, I like looking feminine so i'll stick with it for now..... http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1305014
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    grab a broomstick and place it behind your neck resting there and keep lower body straight and twist from side to side.

Please don't do this. It can really screw up your back. (We used to do it at softball but its stopped beig used years ago)

But putting the broom in your hands, and sweeping it side to side, is awesome ab work for women. :laugh: As long as it is followed by bending over with the dust pan, sweeping into dustpan, then lifting dustpan to empty out in the garbage.

Some other good exercises are: vacuuming, dusting, cooking, and cleaning up after the kids. :laugh: