Weight loss increase during cycle?

Options
I have been sticking to my plan and averaging anywhere from 1/2lb to 2lbs of weight loss per week. A couple days before my cycle came and now during the middle of it (a week of time almost) I have managed to drop nearly 5lbs. Is it because of the blood loss adding to regular weight loss? Does your metabolism speed up during your cycle and if you stay on track you lose a lot of weight in that week? I'm just not sure what to expect when my cycle ends as far as will a few of the pounds creep back, or will I have even more weight loss from ridding myself of bloating? Never experienced this before. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• jaztoderan
    jaztoderan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I was always told never to do a weigh in around or during my period because you retain water and the numbers will go UP. So I have no idea if it can make it drop more than usual? Unless your cramps cause diarrhea maybe you could be dehydrated from that? I can't think of anything else. I don't think the uterine lining/blood would amount to anything that would show up on a scale.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    The blood loss is tiny for most people, about a egg cup or something you certainly don't lose 5lb that is pints of blood! Could be water weight, yes your metabolism can increase slightly the week before your period I think. Review your diet and make sure you are getting a balance of all the food groups and all nutrients to limit excessive hormonal fluctuations and premenstrual syndrome. Fibre, minerals, long chain omega-3s ...
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    water retention is a lot of the tempory problem...carbohydrate cravings can cause permanent damage!
  • Motivated_Mom_4
    Options
    I have had a lighter flow than usual, I assume from the exercise and haven't had any changes from my diet, just the same stuff that's been working for a 1 or 2 pound weekly weight loss trend with occasional leveling off. It just kind of caught me by surprise as I expected my weight to be higher but wasn't going to be concerned since I have stayed on track. I'm just curious will I gain some back after its said and done? Or will it continue to go down at my normal rate. So weird.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    A lot of women consistently gain on theirs. I almost always "lose" on mine. It usually goes right back up again after. But then, my weight fluctuates a lot, and my weight loss has been really low/slow. So I don't really "count" a loss until I see it repeated over several weeks.
  • avalentineb
    avalentineb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too!!! I usually keep it off so no complaints but it is odd.