Iron Supplements?

Options
I eat a mainly plant based diet and I was wondering if here is truth to the iron supplement myth. My lovely mother has told me it keeps you from pooping. Haha. Is that true? I bought a multi v with iron...is it safe?

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Depends. When I was much younger, I was anemic (no amount of spinach was making up for my two week long periods) and was constipated as *kitten* (excuse the pun) from iron supplements.

Later in life, with a BC that had an iron pill as its offweek, I pooped my guts out as normal.

It's a side effect, and a common one... but not an "absolute" one ;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    spinach-if-i-want-iron-ill-eat-iron-580x580.jpg
  • NancyPantsLupinski
    NancyPantsLupinski Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Depends. When I was much younger, I was anemic (no amount of spinach was making up for my two week long periods) and was constipated as *kitten* (excuse the pun) from iron supplements.

Later in life, with a BC that had an iron pill as its offweek, I pooped my guts out as normal.

It's a side effect, and a common one... but not an "absolute" one ;)
    Haha I suppose it's worth a shot!
  • NancyPantsLupinski
    Options
    haha!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, if you eat a big plant diet, why are you considering an iron supplement?
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Yes, they can cause constipation.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    anemia can be caused nby many things than simply a deficiency in the diet and sometimes changes in the diet wont actually impact the iron absobtion.

I am celiac and have an iron absorbtion problem. My hemotologist has said this is really common for people with digestive disorders (chroms, celiac, coloits, IBS etc) - and in my care it was severe enough to have to go to hospital every 3 months for IV iron infusions. Taking oral supplements does not impact my iron levels as it is my feritin (iron storage) not hemoglobin.

Recently i have stopped needing these. I can only cite 3 major changes to my life

1) Bi-weekly vitamin B injections which i began after reading that vitamin B helps iron absorption
    2) less 'vigorous excerise' (i had a tendancy to overtrain
    3) KALE - i eat it 4 times a week at least!

I dont know which are the direct impact, or whether its a mix of all that has chagned things for me but i feel much better, and even if its not hte iron that has helped, the Vit B helps me feel amazing anwyay - highly recommended.
  • crysta1000
    crysta1000 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Iron can cause constipation if taken excessively...the recommended daily dose is 8mg per day.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Iron can cause constipation if taken excessively...the recommended daily dose is 8mg per day.

Assuming you missed a 1 there. 18mg is 100% Dv and. 40-45 mg is the upperbound that you need to be consuming without a doctor's ok.
  • NancyPantsLupinski
    Options
    I guess plant based isn't the best way to describe it. I eat mainly vegan during the work week with a few cheat meals speckled on the weekend.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes it'll probably cause constipation, but some iron supplements will do that less depending on what kind of iron it is. Here's a summary of the differences: http://www.livestrong.com/article/70183-types-iron-supplements/

I take an iron supplement every 3 days. I used to take it every day, but decreased when my meat intake increased. This is based on discussions with my doctor. I'm not anemic, but have a ferritin deficiency, related to iron.

Finally, make sure that you're taking a multivitamin FIRST that is made for women. They tend to be higher in iron anyway, and you may not need the supplement.

If you're still unsure, talk to a doctor or nutritionist.