A question about metabolism ;)

Options

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You know who benefits the most from the myth that you need to eat every couple of hours? Supplement companys, who often have endorsement arrangements with trainers, authors etc. Think about it, how do most busy people manage to eat that often? By supplementing with protein shakes, protein bars etc....
  • FitnessWithaTwist
    Options
    dude the lesser you weigh the more your metabolism speeds up..i used to have my cals at 1400 a month ago. now that ive lost 10lbs..im upto 1700.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options

They put it on the internet so it has to be true.

I've read it in books too...books written by TRAINERS

Hate to break it to you but trainers are not scientists.

If eating small meals throughout the day helps you control your intake and curb your appetite then thats great though, it just doesn't really affect your metabolism.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    So I've been told to keep eating small amounts throughout the day to keep my metabolism up.

You were misinformed as meal frequency by itself does not boost metabolism. So, you don't need to do that at all if you don't wish to.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

They put it on the internet so it has to be true.

I've read it in books too...books written by TRAINERS

Hate to break it to you but trainers are not scientists.

If eating small meals throughout the day helps you control your intake and curb your appetite then thats great though, it just doesn't really affect your metabolism.

Exactly. I eat little things all day and night, it's just how I eat. Never been overweight so I see no reason to stop. Trainers are not scientists, and most scientists will not even bother with this subject.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You know who benefits the most from the myth that you need to eat every couple of hours? Supplement companys, who often have endorsement arrangements with trainers, authors etc. Think about it, how do most busy people manage to eat that often? By supplementing with protein shakes, protein bars etc....

Simple solution to this level of paranoia is not to read commercial diet and fitness books but instead textbooks written by eminent consultant doctors, dieticians, fitness professionals or other scientists and released by a respected publishing house that rigorously peer reviews everything. The sort of text that is referenced throughout with published studies and can be cited at degree level.

Plenty of busy people manage to eat that often without abusing supplements it's called being organised, cooking and planning ahead. I discourage my clients from using any shakes or bars except as convenience foods right after a workout (three to five times a week) if they cannot have real food. And I encourage them to purchase a basic whey powder, not pricey branded stuff. I know plenty of other health/ fitness professionals with ethics, and many gym users who share information about cheaper supplements with one another - we are in the middle of a recession.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

Simple solution to this level of paranoia is not to read commercial diet and fitness books but instead textbooks written by eminent consultant doctors, dieticians, fitness professionals or other scientists and released by a respected publishing house that rigorously peer reviews everything. The sort of text that is referenced throughout with published studies and can be cited at degree level.

Plenty of busy people manage to eat that often without abusing supplements it's called being organised, cooking and planning ahead. I discourage my clients from using any shakes or bars except as convenience foods right after a workout (three to five times a week) if they cannot have real food. And I encourage them to purchase a basic whey powder, not pricey branded stuff. I know plenty of other health/ fitness professionals with ethics, and many gym users who share information about cheaper supplements with one another - we are in the middle of a recession.

A recession? To hear the talking heads on the television, all is golden with the economy and jobs right now :wink:
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Actually, this is news to me. I was always under the impression that to keep the body's metabolism going, you should be eating every 3 or so hours. This isn't just touted by the "eat 6 meals a day diet" crowd. I've seen it on web md and in fitness magazines.

I suppose nutrition and fitness info changes over time. Good to know they debunked that one. The idea of feeding your metabolism has really spread in the past few years. I think I'll still eat my mid-morning and afternoon snacks though. It's habit at this point.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I eat little things all day and night, it's just how I eat. Never been overweight so I see no reason to stop. Trainers are not scientists, and most scientists will not even bother with this subject.

Depends on the trainer and perhaps the country, some only have the basic personal trainer qualification - in the UK it's equivalent to studies at age 18. Some fitness professionals have honours degrees in a health/ biological discipline, sports science or qualified at an equivalent level vocationally such as GP referrals and cardiac rehab. Some of the advanced Pilates modules are at that level now. too I think. There are plenty of scientists 'bothering' with sports performance, fitness and weight management, how do you think all the degree level textbooks get written and papers get published?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Fasting increases metabolism

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

IDGAF what your trainers say, I do however trust peer reviewed journals.

Here's another one stating some of the benefits of fasting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc156352/
  • Nataliaho
    Options

So are you saying that you agree with the OP re metabolism or not?
  • strive60
    strive60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes . all calories count
  • Nataliaho
    Options
    I am yet to see someone who supports this theory point to a specific scientific reference. Nor has it ever been explained to me in any intelligent way that doesn't involve some bizarre car engine analogy... Happy for someone to do so though.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Fasting increases metabolism

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717

IDGAF what your trainers say, I do however trust peer reviewed journals.

Here's another one stating some of the benefits of fasting.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc156352/

No, no and no.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/47354-mess-up-your-heart-with-intermittent-fasting/page__p__473475#entry473475
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It doesn't work for me. I feel like I never ate anything and get too focused on food. Plus, on days when I work, I can't realistically be constantly munching on things, some days if we are busy I barely have time to eat at all!
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ah and the classic argument all boils down to: DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    ok... i'm willing to get this thread going again, because i'm considering attempting IF for a while.... will read some of the links, etc...

anyone else want to chime in on their experiences with this - especially women?