Help Please! - Reaching 1200 Calories

Options
Hi everyone,
I simply cannot reach 1200 calories per day and it feels like I'm eating quite alot. Does anyone have a public food diary that I am able to view to get an idea on diet plan? This week I was under everyday and didnt manage to lose anything which is frustrating. This is also my first week exersising and usually you lose about 2-3 kilos whilst starting. Hmm..Please help my dilemma!

Thanks!

Replies

• desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple. Don't eat more, eat higher calorie foods. Peanut butter, Nuts, anything..
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i agree with desiv. a handful of nuts has more calories than eating like a pound of spinach. you just need to add foods to your diet that have a higher density of calories.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Agreed. A serving or two of nuts will get you there quickly! It's what I use when I have trouble finding calories.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    How does anyone make a 2 cup serving of Caesar sald for only 77 calories? Are you sure you calculated it right or is it just some lettuce with almost nothing on top? Make the real way, that'll get up to your calories in a few mouth fulls!
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Part of your diminished appetite is a sure sign of stifled metabolism.
    Eat more as was already suggested. Seriously, your success depends on it.
    Why?
    Because if our calorie deficit is too great, we can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.
    Check out this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/238282-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing-redux?hl=700+calories
    Good Luck To You :flowerforyou:
  • agulamali
    agulamali Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you are eating low cal and not losing weight, you may need to jump start your metabolism. You can achieve this with an increased activity level coupled with higher calories and possibly eating more frequently. Try to stick to whole, unprocessed foods. You can even introduce certain carbohydrate sources such as rice and potatoes which will help get calories higher.

Then, after a couple of months of this when your metabolism is functioning better, you can reintroduce lower calories and you should then start seeing results. The following is a 3-part post on one of my favorite fitness blogs. It outlines this exact strategy in more detail. Hope this helps!

http://fitnessblackbook.com/dieting_for_fat_loss/eating-to-increase-your-metabolism-pt-1/
  • Aloves36
    Aloves36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat I keep falling short of 1200 Calories a day!!! and I feel like I'm eating alot!!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have no problems reaching mine. My diary is open. I eat avacado and almond butter nearly every day. Middle of winter and I do not have dry skin at all. Why? The right fats, the right times.

Not being able to hit 1200 is kind of crazy. Too many good foods that are good for you!! Olive oil, nuts and or nut butters, avacado. Put REAL olive oil and yummy flavored vinegar on your salads!
  • dspiegel150
    dspiegel150 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you eating healty fats with your meals? Like 1 tbsp of olive oil on your salad, of course use some fresh herbs and garlic for taste. Have half an avocado with your salad or sandwich like others have said have some nuts with your friut. This is a good way to have good fats for skin and hair and use up some of those calories. It should also keep you from feeling hungry. Wish you the best.
  • Angeliize
    Options
    I am having the same problem any day I exercise. Today really was bad because I went for a super long hike that clocked me at over 1800 calories. I was always taught that you should not deduct your exercise calories from your food calories but this program does that so I am a little confused with that.

I eat a lot of almonds and peanuts but I am a picky eater who limits carbs and has a gluten and lactose intolerance.
  • nfrewin
    nfrewin Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wine................... :drinker:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem any day I exercise. Today really was bad because I went for a super long hike that clocked me at over 1800 calories. I was always taught that you should not deduct your exercise calories from your food calories but this program does that so I am a little confused with that.

I eat a lot of almonds and peanuts but I am a picky eater who limits carbs and has a gluten and lactose intolerance.
    It's the way MFP is set up. When you enter your info, a deficit is already factored into the daily goal MFP gives you, so eating that amount without doing any exercise, you would still lose weight. So when you log exercise, it creates an even bigger deficit, and MFP gives you more calories to eat to meet that original goal.

My dairy is open - I eat 1800+ calories pretty much every day and have NO problems hitting that number. Kinda baffles me how you guys could need to lose weight if you can't eat 1200 a day... :tongue:
  • Angeliize
    Options
    It baffles me too!! lol From what I've been told my carb limitation is slowing down my metabolism. I added in a little white rice instead of brown rice last night. I was also told my lack of carbs is also causing my sleeping problems. I slept like a baby last night. Not sure if it was a coincidence or something to it.
  • dspiegel150
    dspiegel150 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diray, and you had 153 carbs you didn't use and 28 fats. but only 500 or cal left over. So if you do what alot of others have suggested, like peanut butter 1tbsp not a teaspoon, on 1 slice of bread. You could have had an apple with your breakfast that would used 100 cal. You could have added 1 tblsp olive oil on your cauliflower. Maybe pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds on your salad or with your fruit and your 500 cal would have been well spent.
  • Angeliize
    Options
    Just checked out your diary... wow!! I wouldn't have a big enough appetite for that. Looks great though!

And thanks for explaining the calories thing. It went against everything I was taught but now it makes sense.
  • MegannHarris
    Options
    Thankyou so much, this is really helpful. I'm going to start today with the olive oil and avocado. I tend to cook fish in olive oil but might add something else to the side. Is it a good idea to eat say..peanut butter on rye bread after gym?
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    -Peanut butter and a banana/apple/protein shake... Peanut butter goes with everything!
    -You can also start making your own salad dressings with olive oil and assorted spices/vinegars
    -Go to the baking aisle and get shelled walnuts in a bag. Toss in a little olive oil, sprinkle with cinnamon and little splenda, pop in the oven until toasted. Candied walnuts will definitely help get your calories up there.
    -When I find that I have a good amount of calories left for the day, I'll mix up a protein shake with some almond milk and blend with a banana.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much, this is really helpful. I'm going to start today with the olive oil and avocado. I tend to cook fish in olive oil but might add something else to the side. Is it a good idea to eat say..peanut butter on rye bread after gym?

Yes very good!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    drink a 2 liter of coke
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that 'problem' lol :(