I am just wondering...

Options
I am just wondering, I see a lot of people on here who have lost 100+ pounds in a year. Somehow, I get the impression that some of these people have had weight loss surgery and their stories imply that it was the diet/exercise. I am not condeming. My wife, my sister-in-law, and my niece have had gastric bypasses with great results. I also thing this site is a great way to monitor what you eat and change your eating habits following the surgery. I am just having a hard time believing that so many people have lost so much weight, in such a short amount of time.

If it is true that a lot of people are shedding 100+ pounds in a year, the great. I am even more motivated that ever.

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    My sister lost about 100 lbs over the course of a year. She just started eating better and being more active.

She had a lot of stress though which made it a little more difficult for her to eat much at times, but she did it without any surgery.
  • jimw1961
    Options
    That is great. I will try to do without the stress, but that is encouraging.
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible. I was watching the biggest loser and the contestants lost like 20-30 pounds their first week in the program. This was without surgery. I think those that are BIG lose can lose massive amounts of weight in short time periods without going through extreme measures.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I dont think its much of a stretch really. Thats an average of 7lbs per month, give or take. Thats less than 2lbs per week. Certainly doable if someone is focused and committed.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I think it can definitely be done without surgery; I'm sure it takes an incredible amount of dedication and motivation! The weight I've lost is over about 4 1/2 yrs with lots of ups and downs. The overall trend is downward and that's what I'm after - a lifestyle and way of eating that I can maintain without being on a "diet".

I have to remind myself:

521475_10151636449745200_1133158168_n.jpg
  • jimw1961
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I guess I just a natural skeptic.
  • lindawayne11
    lindawayne11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally doable. It's an average of 8.3 pounds a month. In the beginning they probably lost over that in the first couple of months, more like 15 or 20lbs (maybe more?). Adding a little excersise to the equation and I can't see where it's completely attainable with a motivated mind.
    I have a friend that lost 130+ pounds in a little over a year. She went from being wheelchair bound to up and walking now. This was without surgery.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible. Since September 2011 I have lost 127 pounds. The first 100 pounds was off within a year. I did not have surgery. I started eating healthier and watching portion sizes. I am also in the gym 7 days a week alternating between cardio and strength training. I work with a personal trainer twice a week. My husband also has lost 116 pounds all within a year. No surgery for him either. We are both now off our blood pressure medication and feel better than ever. I wish you all success!
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi. I started monitoring my caloric intake in mid-June of 2012. Since then, I have lost 56 pounds WITHOUT any weight-loss surgery. I feel that it has been fairly easy so far. I've done better using this method than I ever did on any weight-loss plan that cost a huge amount of money! I'm likely much less active than most people. My exercise options have been fairly limited due to some mobility issues. Good luck on your quest!