strength training Newbie

Options
hello all,
so ive recently came to know that lifting weights is important in every weight loss. so i started (once) already and is planning to go 3 times a week.
to me, strength training is using the weights machine at the gym. would that consider as strength training? because i read in one of the websites that there is special type of work outs to be considered as strength training?

advice?

Replies

• kendobc
    kendobc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey there, for a couple good reads I would recommend two things. Do google searchs for Starting Strength and Stronglifts. They are both really good free weight programs for newbies (I was, until recently, a newbie too) that use barbells. I won't put too much in this post but they are great starting points for beginners. You can't go wrong with them.

Personally, I don't like machines too much. They have their place but free weights are probably the best way to go. Keep it simple, keep it consistent and you can't go wrong. The two I mentioned above are pretty simple both have only 5 basic lifts to learn so its much easier than trying to learn all these various exercises.

If you have any questions let me know.

Cheers,

Kendobc
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    to me I find the machines easier meaning i feel like i would do the work out properly cause i follow the instructions.
    plus i dont think we have a barbell at our gym :S

but i did read about the 5 types of work out with free weights. ill look into them again..
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    the problem with the machines is that they force your body to carry out slightly unnatural tasks. Using free weights especially compound moves you are using your full body in a style that mimics everyday activities.

definitely look up some basic moves. You can probably improvise with dumbbells, but your gym really should have a barbell.
  • Arwaxx
    Options
    i think they have the steel stick and u add weights. ill be going to the gym in a couple of hours for my strength training session. i would be following 5x5 strength lifting

ill do squats 5 rep x 5 sets
    Bench Press 5 rep x 5 sets
    Barbell Row 5 rep x 5 sets

weights = 20 KG, is that fine? and should i do total 20 or each side 20 kg..
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    i think they have the steel stick and u add weights. ill be going to the gym in a couple of hours for my strength training session. i would be following 5x5 strength lifting

the bar itself has some weight to it (depends on the bar, but between 15 and 20kg).

You will want to add different weights for the different moves. As this is new for you, you probably want to start with an empty bar. Get your form right with that before you progress to adding weights. the amount of weight you add will be dependent on what YOU can do. If you can easily get 10-12 reps with good form, then the weight is too light. As you are doing Stronglifts, I would think that equates to the 5th rep being too easy, up the weight.

Don't worry if you can't lift much to start with, you'll progress pretty quickly and then slow down your progression. Concentrate more on making sure your form is good. Your body wil thank you for it, and you will get better strength gains that way.
  • Arwaxx
    Options

the bar itself has some weight to it (depends on the bar, but between 15 and 20kg).

You will want to add different weights for the different moves. As this is new for you, you probably want to start with an empty bar. Get your form right with that before you progress to adding weights. the amount of weight you add will be dependent on what YOU can do. If you can easily get 10-12 reps with good form, then the weight is too light. As you are doing Stronglifts, I would think that equates to the 5th rep being too easy, up the weight.

Don't worry if you can't lift much to start with, you'll progress pretty quickly and then slow down your progression. Concentrate more on making sure your form is good. Your body wil thank you for it, and you will get better strength gains that way.

NOTED.... i will listen to my body and start slowly till i can do it like a boss.. many thanks
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

NOTED.... i will listen to my body and start slowly till i can do it like a boss.. many thanks

the bar itself is most likely 20kg. definitely start with the empty bar before you add weight to it--if nothing else, you need to learn how to balance the bar. I can lift 55kg in the smith machine, which takes care of the balance aspect for you. I am switching to a regular squat rack, and yesterday I had major balance issues with 43kg.
  • Arwaxx
    Options

the bar itself is most likely 20kg. definitely start with the empty bar before you add weight to it--if nothing else, you need to learn how to balance the bar. I can lift 55kg in the smith machine, which takes care of the balance aspect for you. I am switching to a regular squat rack, and yesterday I had major balance issues with 43kg.

oh wow! since its my first day, i will go slowly and lets c how much i lift...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I saw awesome results with stronglifts :)
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

oh wow! since its my first day, i will go slowly and lets c how much i lift...

definitely start slow! The YMCA where I work out has some padded, weighted bars in the stretching area...I actually have been known to use an 8kg bar for a certain lift.
  • kendobc
    Options
    Ask the gym workers how heavy the bar is. If it is an olympic bar it will be 20kg. Chances are it is probably pretty close.

As was already said, take it slow to begin. Especially if you are self-learning. Learn the form and you won't go wrong. Mehdi from Stronglifts has put up two videos that show him going through both workouts, A and B, on youtube. Watch them!

Since you picked Stronglifts I will saw I do enjoy the lifts from that program more. I don't do the clean in the Starting Strength program I like the barbell row instead. Having said that, Starting Strength has really good indepth information on how to do the various exercises. You can find that information in various "places" "wink wink".

For the barbell roll that Stronglifts does it is also called the Pendlay Row because that particular from was "created" by Glenn Pendlay. Do a search on youtube for "pendlay row, it SHOULD be the first hit.

With stronglifts he recommends increasing the weight by 2.5kg (about 5lbs) everytime you do a particular exercise. I am not sure of your size, body composition, etc so all I can say is go with that and see how it works for you.

Sarahrbraun: Squats are great! Good that you are doing them. IF there is a power rack at your gym I would recommend you do the squats in that instead of the smith machine. The smith machine keeps you a range of motion that won't engage your muscles for stabilzation as well as a raw squat. The power rack will still give you the safety as long as you set the bars are the right height. Just an idea. (=

Cheers,

Kendobc
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    Ask the gym workers how heavy the bar is. If it is an olympic bar it will be 20kg. Chances are it is probably pretty close.

As was already said, take it slow to begin. Especially if you are self-learning. Learn the form and you won't go wrong. Mehdi from Stronglifts has put up two videos that show him going through both workouts, A and B, on youtube. Watch them!

Since you picked Stronglifts I will saw I do enjoy the lifts from that program more. I don't do the clean in the Starting Strength program I like the barbell row instead. Having said that, Starting Strength has really good indepth information on how to do the various exercises. You can find that information in various "places" "wink wink".

For the barbell roll that Stronglifts does it is also called the Pendlay Row because that particular from was "created" by Glenn Pendlay. Do a search on youtube for "pendlay row, it SHOULD be the first hit.

With stronglifts he recommends increasing the weight by 2.5kg (about 5lbs) everytime you do a particular exercise. I am not sure of your size, body composition, etc so all I can say is go with that and see how it works for you.

Sarahrbraun: Squats are great! Good that you are doing them. IF there is a power rack at your gym I would recommend you do the squats in that instead of the smith machine. The smith machine keeps you a range of motion that won't engage your muscles for stabilzation as well as a raw squat. The power rack will still give you the safety as long as you set the bars are the right height. Just an idea. (=

Cheers,

Kendobc

I JUST got the nerve to step out of the smith machine this week :) Monday the power rack was in use, so I sweet talked the trainer into pulling an olympic bar off the bench press and putting it on my back. I was able to do 15-20 squats with decent form. On Wednesday I was able to get into the power rack and did 4 sets ranging in weight from 75# to 95# --I can do 120# in the smith machine. Hopefully I will get my balance issues figured out and be back up to 120# next week.
  • kendobc
    Options

I JUST got the nerve to step out of the smith machine this week :) Monday the power rack was in use, so I sweet talked the trainer into pulling an olympic bar off the bench press and putting it on my back. I was able to do 15-20 squats with decent form. On Wednesday I was able to get into the power rack and did 4 sets ranging in weight from 75# to 95# --I can do 120# in the smith machine. Hopefully I will get my balance issues figured out and be back up to 120# next week.

Sweet talking works wonders. (= Great that you tried non smith squats! Don't go back.

You mentioned you do 4 sets, how many reps do you do per set? Do you change your weight for every set or do you lift the same weight for all sets?

I personally had to reset my squats. My belly (still fat but working on it) and very bad range of motion in my hips wasn't allowing me to get down far enough in my squats. My hams are VERY tight also. So now I am working on correct form and depth.

Cheers,

kendobc
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

Sweet talking works wonders. (= Great that you tried non smith squats! Don't go back.

You mentioned you do 4 sets, how many reps do you do per set? Do you change your weight for every set or do you lift the same weight for all sets?

I personally had to reset my squats. My belly (still fat but working on it) and very bad range of motion in my hips wasn't allowing me to get down far enough in my squats. My hams are VERY tight also. So now I am working on correct form and depth.

Cheers,

kendobc

In this case, I did sets of 8...and one set each at 75#, 85#, 90# and 95#. I was basically seeing how heavy I could go my first day in the squat rack.

My belly is still fat too, but hopefully the squats and deads will help. I'm rather amazed that I can do barbell squats because I have hip issues too--mine are horribly uneven ( the left is measurably higher, and towards my back than the right one). My poor chiropractor says I am a hot mess, and has to try several methods to move that left hip every time I go in.