Hungry Constantly?

Options
I feel like I am constantly hungry, it could very well, and likely is, head-hunger. Do you have any idea of how to fight this? It may be physical hunger, however. Today I ate 2300 calories and my goal is set to 1550 and I eat back any exercise calories. Today, I burned close to 800 calories and ate that on top of the 1550 putting me right at 2300 (give ten or so calories, etc.)

Any recommendations. Tomorrow I am going to breakfast at the Pancake House and I know I will have a big breakfast, but I am just so hungry right now!

Replies

• coachlisahansen
    Options
    I hear not drinking enough water can send messages to the brain that the body is hungry. they say drink 16 oz of water for hunger first to see if you are truly hungry or not. Also to be drinking half your body weight in ounces each day. ugh something I am working on. Hope this helps!
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? Water is great for curbing hunger.

Also, try to focus on foods that aren't calorie dense. I.e., find foods that are filling, but not high in calories. (not sure what you're eating; can't see your diary).
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    eat protein.. it helps keep you full..
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    when did you start?
    the last 2 days i've been feeling incredibly hungry even though i've been eating filling healthy food.
    like i was get hunger pains about half an hour after i ate something.

today has been WAY better though.
    i was wondering what was happening to me aswell.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am constantly hungry, it could very well, and likely is, head-hunger. Do you have any idea of how to fight this? It may be physical hunger, however. Today I ate 2300 calories and my goal is set to 1550 and I eat back any exercise calories. Today, I burned close to 800 calories and ate that on top of the 1550 putting me right at 2300 (give ten or so calories, etc.)

Any recommendations. Tomorrow I am going to breakfast at the Pancake House and I know I will have a big breakfast, but I am just so hungry right now!

Water
    More protein and fat
    Carbs can make you hungrier.
  • tanygale
    Options
    :smile: I gave myself a break the first week, been eating like i normally do just to see the calories I was taking in...I have been going over 700 calories. I have not been drinking the water I need either. I think if you can learn to be a grazer and eat 6 times a day, but you have to divide your calories up and allow yourself just so many each time you will not get hungry and try drinking a cup of hot water with 1/2 a lemon squeezed in it, might curb appetite. So much is psychological because deep down you may feel deprived of something and your body might be reacting...hard to say. Be good to yourself at the pancake house, maybe just eat 1 pancake instead of 3, or whatever they serve, eat slow and you will fill up quicker too. That's all I got! haha
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There's no way to really know for sure without knowing more about your food choices since your diary is set to private. But generally speaking, the only reasons for true, physical hunger would be not eating enough food or poor nutrient intake.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Lean protein at every meal and snack starting with breakfast, healthy fats little and often, more than the recommended minimum fibre intake (14g per 1000 cals) and water rich foods - these nutrients all work together to confer satiety. Fill up particularly on your nine servings a day of low sugar fruits and non starchy vegetables.
  • kfeb14
    kfeb14 Posts: 3
    Options
    Spreading out your meals throughout the day is an excellent way to curb your appetite. Also drinking plenty of water before and during your meal will help fill you up. A lot of times when you feel hungry water will quickly curb that appetite. Likewise if you started your diet recently and are not used to it, you will run into problems because of the sudden changes to your metabolism.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    After almost 6 months, the last three days I've been very hungry because it is COLD and I'm working in the cold. I need to eat more to stay warm.

Sometimes people confuse thirst for hunger.

In general, small amounts of fat and protein fill me up. Nuts, a spoonful of ice cream or peanut butter, or cheese help me. Any are under 50 calories.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I have the psychological hunger too. When it's physical hunger, I can hear a growl but the psychological hunger I found hits at certain times. I try to stretch out those times by drinking water. If I think of grazing, I take a couple of huge gulps of water. It helped me increase my water intake, for sure!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you start? I found that I was a little hungry for the first week or so, and then it went away.

That said, mad props for eating back your exercise calories!!!! :drinker:
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Umm....I'm hungry a lot too but I have ways to curb my appetite the best I can. I drink herbal tea. It takes a long time to drink and it's warm in my stomach. I eat boiled eggs. The protien can keep your hunger at bay for a while and they are only 70 calories. I also eat packages of peanuts. They seem to work well to although higher in calories. I suck on dum dum suckers - they take about 20 minutes to finish and they are 20 calories. The only downside is they are bad for the old teeth! I sometimes drink water with lemon. Make sure you get your 8 glasses of day. Sometimes thirst can be discuised as hunger.

Hope I helped!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Can't see your food diary..

but in general you want to eat double the protein it says to on here. If you're outside in the cold you might want to aim higher then that. Also.. thick hot foods will make you feel satisfied.. like oatmeal, thick soups like tomato basil or clam chowder (read the labels first though so you get healthy ones! or make them yourself) or make thick gravy (no drippings there are tons of low fat.calorie recipes out there) with a baked potato including the skin or turkey or vegetarian chili (also google low calorie/fat recipes tons of them!) and reheat it at work.

I also find that unsweetened cornbread is very filling. I make it from scratch it's so good! oh and it's way better warm.

I eat protein and fiber every time I eat.. I'm almost always over in those two categories and Im rarely ever hungry. I have to remind myself to eat.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Tomorrow eat an egg white omelet filled with spinach and onions etc...anything without extra calories, choose fruit instead of hash browns and choose tomatoes, or low-fat cottage cheese in stead of toast-but if you do get toast, ask for it dry or eat an English muffin dry or with a little jam-there are many low-fat healthy choices when you go to breakfast-you just have to ask!!! also oatmeal is good too-hope this helps-good luck
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Drink water 10+ cups daily. Eat food with Protein and Fiber in them. They keep you full. Try to eat 5-6 times a day balanced throughout. Your not hungry when you know got that snack coming up.