Low-carb breakfast ideas?

Options
Anyone have good breakfast ideas that are pretty easy to do and don't include a ton of carbs? I don't prefer eating bread, cereal etc on a regular basis as it leaves me feeling groggy and tired. Fruit isn't filling enough and a plain egg is too boring.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Bacon, sausage, some other kind of meat
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Bacon & eggs, cheese & mushroom omelet, cottage cheese, yoghurt, nuts.
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    not a big fan of breakfast meat as it's usually pretty greasy :S omelettes are good!
  • Angeliize
    Options
    For a year and a half I have had 2 rice cakes (made with brown rice and gluten free) with peanut butter. Easy to make, cheep, and if i am in a hurry I put them together and eat it in the car (which is almost always).
  • tyler2go
    Options
    I agree with rice cakes with a teaspoon of reduced fat creamy peanut butter, Sometimes I will add some craisins or raisins on top. I also may have a protein shake with 1/2 a banana blended, or OIKOS greek yogurt (I like the key lime). I ALWAYS add protein to my first meal of the day because that kick starts my metabolism and keeps me satisfied.
  • LPCoder
    LPCoder Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash cubed, various veggies sliced, everything pan fried in a bit of coconut oil, and then when squash is soft, make a hole in the middle of the pan and add an egg. cook until done!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    fritatas! Take whatever meat you have left from dinner, put it in frying pan and heat. Add some fresh spinach then scramble 2 eggs in. add some shredded cheese. Really good and good protein if meat is lean from night before.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    This was always yummy (to me anyway)

Chop up capsicum, red onion, carrot and other veggies into really small pieces
    Chop up some ham or turkey if you want as well, into small pieces
    Start cooking the capsicum, onion etc in a pan until brown
    Add some spinach until wilted and set aside

Whip up 4 (or so) eggs and a touch of milk if desired (basically entirely up to you how much or few eggs you want)

After this add in the cooked veggies and then put on frying pan

Start cooking in frying pan until mostly cooked

Put in oven for the last few minutes to seal

Add shredded cheese if desired
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ooo i usually have rice cakes with peanut butter and honey during the day for a snack, i'll totally try that for breakfast :D awesome suggestions!
  • Angeliize
    Options
    OOOOh I never thought about adding honey. That would taste so good! Think I will try that.
  • Cooky102
    Options
    I take a cup of 2 percent chocolate milk. (Hood's Calorie countdown. Can only find it at Walmart). I add one pkg. of Swiss Miss Diet hot chocolate. Put it all in a blender with about six ice cubes, blend it until smooth. Soooooooo good. If you are doing Weight Watchers, it is only 4points.
  • tanygale
    Options
    2 eggs with 1/3c of your favorite veggies. simmer veggies in broth, not oil and add your eggs. Omelets are easy and by using broth, makes everything taste so much better and better for you.
  • kmartinko
    kmartinko Posts: 114
    Options
    You should start the day with some protein, so perhaps an egg white omelette with veggies and seasoning.
  • ChrissieP80
    ChrissieP80 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I like http://www.skinnytaste.com/2007/07/skinny-breakfast-recipes.html. Their lighter spinach frittata is good.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Ham and cheese and veggie omelet, topped with salsa and sometimes guacamole!
    hamandveggieomelet_zps48c6f432.jpg
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What is considered low carb???

umm.. debiielyn above me.. Where is mine?? That's look fabulous!!
  • carenscuisine
    Options
    quinoa? Makes a great breakfast, add milk, dried fruit like you would oatmeal. Won't leave you groggy as its loaded with protein. Also, this is a good smoothy, 1 cup frozen cherries, 1/2 cup milk or sub, 1/4 greek or reg yogurt, 1 tbsp unsweeted cocoa powder and a small amount of honey if you need it sweeter. Blend! Its awesome. I sometimes add some nut butter for added protein. really yummy and filling.
  • Jacquelinecpr16
    Options
    I normally eat egg whites with some salsa and sweet potato :) however when im in a rush i stick with plain oatmeal with water. Getting in your carbs at the beginning of you day is your best bet for not over eating all day long.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Quest protein bars. 3g net carbs.
  • kfeb14
    kfeb14 Posts: 3
    Options
    As posted above... Omelets... egg whites have protein and none of the very minimal bad fats that the yolks have. Add some extra lean ham if you want to it. Spinach is a wonderful vegetable. Mix things up and try new foods additions... chicken breast sliced... asparagus...?

Carbs on the whole aren't so bad for breakfast though.. a nice bowl of oats with some eggs... perfect breakfast in my opinion!