Low-carb breakfast ideas?

Replies

• I just tried 'paleo pancakes' this morning and they were great! Like real pancakes.

2 eggs
    1 banana
    cinnamon to taste

blend in a blender until smooth like batter (30 secs)

Heat a skillet with coconut oil, olive oil or oil spray of your choice.

Cook as regular pancakes- they even bubble like traditional pancakes so you know when to flip them. If you like them fluffier then add a pinch of baking soda or arrowroot powder to the batter before cooking.

Usually I eat unconventional things for breakfast though- like sardines over raw spinach, diced apple and capers- yum!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    What is considered low carb???

umm.. debiielyn above me.. Where is mine?? That's look fabulous!!

Thanks, it is really good. I fix one for lunch 3-4 days a week. My hubby asks, "are you going to eat all that?" Yep, sure am!
    That is only 2 eggs and 1 ounce of ham. Lots of veggies. 1 ounce fat free cheese. Around 300 cals.
  • 2 egg whites and 1 egg substitute and a whole bunch of veggies, it ends up being a lot of food.

I had this today...

Bell Peppers
    Spinach
    Egg Substitute
    Egg Whites
    Zuccini
    Cilantro
    mushrooms

223 cal and 13 carbs
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    bump! I would love some protein power breakfast ideas!

My go to is either a fruit smoothie or a breakfast sandwich on an english muffin. I don't like toast because it is too much bread, but an english muffin works better and has less calories. I usually scramble an egg in the microwave, add a sprinkle of cheese on the muffin and it's good to go. :smile:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I just tried 'paleo pancakes' this morning and they were great! Like real pancakes.

2 eggs
    1 banana
    cinnamon to taste

Cook as regular pancakes- they even bubble like traditional pancakes so you know when to flip them. If you like them fluffier then add a pinch of baking soda or arrowroot powder to the batter before cooking.

Usually I eat unconventional things for breakfast though- like sardines over raw spinach, diced apple and capers- yum!

That is only 2 eggs and 1 ounce of ham. Lots of veggies. 1 ounce fat free cheese. Around 300 cals.

thank you both!! I just stole both of these!! I love that pancake idea! I'm not a huge pancake fan but I always have eggs and bananas on hand. I even have organic coconut oil..
    hmmm maybe breakfast tomorrow!!
    And the egg.. defiantly doing that!!

God I love food!! LOL
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Bump
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    For those that like omlettes.....

Buy ziploc steamer bags (glad probably has one too)...you can make omlettes in them....

Pour liquid egg whites into the ziploc steamer bag (i use about 100-125 calories worth) and add your veggies, meats and cheeses. Don't over stuff it with the veggies, meat and cheese. the egg whites need to cover it all and the more cheese and frozen veggies you add, the runnier/liquidy it will be when done.

Time saving hint - I use westpac meal basics southwest blend frozen veggies (red peppers, green peppers and onions). Great flavor with little calories. I use that very liberally with a little reduced fat shredded cheddar and either bacon or ham or both. I have used fresh veggies but to be honest if I use pre-diced ham or cooked bacon and the frozen veggies, i can have my omlette ready in 5 minutes from start to finish which is key for me to save time. Microwave the mixture for about 3-4 minutes depending on how much egg whites you have used.

So easy and fast and tasty.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    HOBO hold the bun!!
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    This was always yummy (to me anyway)

Chop up capsicum, red onion, carrot and other veggies into really small pieces
    Chop up some ham or turkey if you want as well, into small pieces
    Start cooking the capsicum, onion etc in a pan until brown
    Add some spinach until wilted and set aside

Whip up 4 (or so) eggs and a touch of milk if desired (basically entirely up to you how much or few eggs you want)

After this add in the cooked veggies and then put on frying pan

Start cooking in frying pan until mostly cooked

Put in oven for the last few minutes to seal

Add shredded cheese if desired

Yum..
  • stepheatscake
    What is considered low carb???

umm.. debiielyn above me.. Where is mine?? That's look fabulous!!

The foods highest in carbs are high in starch or sugar. This includes anything made with flour or sugar, grains, foods with added sugar, and starchy vegetables such as potatoes and corn. Most processed foods are high in carbohydrates.
  • stepheatscake
    I just tried 'paleo pancakes' this morning and they were great! Like real pancakes.

2 eggs
    1 banana
    cinnamon to taste

Oh i tried these the other day, they were DELISH!
  • MO211
    MO211 Posts: 4 Member
    I have scrambled eggs most days; Greek yogurt some days - both are low carb.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Bacon, sausage, omelet with cheese and yogurt
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    So.. would a lot of carbs per serving be 10 carbs? or 20?

i really don't know.. I don't eat sugar or much processed foods..
    the banana I eat has 27 carbs.. high or low?
    My protein breakfast smoothie has 28 is that high or low.. (greek yogurt, strawberries, milk, honey, flax seed)

I never reach the carbs limit this site set for me.. but I really have no idea.. I'm always focused on getting enough calories in and protein and fiber.

Just curious really.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Nonfat Greek Yogurt. Mic up some frozen berries and throw them in. Cinnamon is also good; if you want a bit more sweetness squirt in a little honey.

Almond butter is another great high protein breakfast. You can spread it on multi-grain crackers or fruit (apples, etc.).

I know you are looking to stay away from carbs, but many people recommend eating some carbs at breakfast to provide energy for the day. All carbs are not the same; if you go for carbs on the lower side of the glycemix index you might fare better. My favorite cereal is Nature Path's Heritage flakes. Ancient grains (spelt, quinoa, etc.) are primary ingredients and 6 grams of fiber helps keep you satisfied. Great crunch and these flakes do NOT get soggy!

The other carb alternative that has worked well for me is oatmeal with a lot of cinnamon. Cinnamon helps regulate the release of sugar into the blood stream so you don't get that bounce that can happen often with eating a lot of carbs.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    ooo i usually have rice cakes with peanut butter and honey during the day for a snack, i'll totally try that for breakfast :D awesome suggestions!

OK, but just so you know, that's not low-carb by any standard definition, aside from the PB. Honey and rice are both pure carb sources.

I vote for crustless quiche. I make one that has a base of eggs, heavy cream, cheese...and then I will add various things to it depending upon what I have on hand: broccoli, cooked spinach, ham, bacon, sausage, peppers, etc. Easy to make a batch the night before and it makes 12 servings. Nukes beautifully.
  • Protein Pancakes. Just pick your favorite protein and just add an egg. No need to get complicated. My favorite protein is from Max Muscle. Yummy

Or you add fresh salsa to an egg. Great way to spice up your breakfast.
  • srm1960
    srm1960 Posts: 281 Member
    :flowerforyou:
    I have scrambled eggs most days; Greek yogurt some days - both are low carb.
    My go to every morn-egg whites with spinach & salsa-made in microwavable dish-1 min-then onto a 100 cal sandwich thin -spread with 35 cal laughing cheese-
  • stepheatscake
    So.. would a lot of carbs per serving be 10 carbs? or 20?

i really don't know.. I don't eat sugar or much processed foods..
    the banana I eat has 27 carbs.. high or low?
    My protein breakfast smoothie has 28 is that high or low.. (greek yogurt, strawberries, milk, honey, flax seed)

I never reach the carbs limit this site set for me.. but I really have no idea.. I'm always focused on getting enough calories in and protein and fiber.

Just curious really.

I haven't done a ton of research but not all carbs are bad. Especially ones found in fruit and vegetables, etc. What I'm trying to primarily avoid is wheat. Wheat is in so many breakfast items: bread, bagels, cereal, buns, i could go on. Your smoothie sounds delicious and I would definitely give it a try, thanks for the idea.
  • stepheatscake
    ooo i usually have rice cakes with peanut butter and honey during the day for a snack, i'll totally try that for breakfast :D awesome suggestions!

OK, but just so you know, that's not low-carb by any standard definition, aside from the PB. Honey and rice are both pure carb sources.

I vote for crustless quiche. I make one that has a base of eggs, heavy cream, cheese...and then I will add various things to it depending upon what I have on hand: broccoli, cooked spinach, ham, bacon, sausage, peppers, etc. Easy to make a batch the night before and it makes 12 servings. Nukes beautifully.

lol OK, I figured the rice cake would have carbs. Shows how much I've researched haha. I'm just trying to avoid wheat primarily. Thank you!