I want to lose 40 lbs in 4 months

Options
Im 16 and I really want to lose 40 lbs in 4 month be for my 17th birthday(may1) I weigh 210 now 5' 11". I really need help, like suggestions for exercise and proper calories I should eat in a day. I'm homeschooled, so I don't do sports or track. Please help in anyway you can.
Thank you

Replies

• CJLS_5
    CJLS_5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Short of starving yourself (which you should definitely NOT do!) it will be pretty hard to lose that much weight in 4 months, and even if you were somehow able to the weight would not stay off. However don't give up yet! Just because you won't lose 40lbs by your birthday does not mean you will fail. If in 4 months on your birthday you weigh 10lbs less that should still be treated as a victory!!! You are still better off than if you would do nothing. Its all about making changes for the longterm, not the short term. Last year over the course of almost 6 months I lost 26lbs, and yes it took me 6 months...and no I did'nt even notice my weight loss until about 4months had past. But everyday I think thank god I didn't give up, even when the weight was coming off painfully slow. Unfortunately weight loss, like weight gain does not happen in a matter of days, it takes weeks and months and sometimes years to take off weight. But just think everyday you do something healthy for your body like eating right and exercising it puts you 1 day closer to becoming a healthier you! The only healthy and lasting way to lose weight is to exercise and eat fresh, healthy foods, just don't give up!
    I was overweight my entire childhood and teenage years and I can't tell how sorry I am now at 21 that I didn't seriously try to become fitter and healthier sooner. It shouldn't be about the number on the scale either, it should be about feeling better, looking better, and being able to physically do more things. It is those things that will make you truly happy, not the number on the scale. You can work towards a healthier you, just make reasonable goals and if you fail, dust yourself off and try again.
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It's possible but difficult.
    You need to lose 2lbs a week.
    So about 1000 less net calories a day than you are currently at (assuming your current weight has been steady).

The good thing about being home schooled is you have more control over your schedule.

Can you workout 2-3 times a day? In the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening? If so you'll likely burn a ton of calories. But the difficult part is you'll need to find different types of physical activity -- cause you probably can't run 3 times a day; or even once daily without your legs tiring out.
    If you're not doing much exercise at all, start once a day -- something fun would be easier to maintain -- like dancing, or hiking, or martial arts or some sport. The key is to keep challenging yourself to try to keep increasing the intensity / go faster / or for longer each session / or each week.

Changing your eating habits is the more important though. There's a ton on info on nutrition. The short answer is find foods that are not calorie dense, and eat more of them -- yogurt, eggs, chicken (not fried, no skin), veggies, fruit, berries, beans, oatmeal, etc etc
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I don't want to discourage you.. but that's a really lofty goal..

You'll need to think more realistically..

do you already work out? What do you do?How often do you work out? If you do not how often will you realistically be able to?

Whether you do or not already.. I'd suggest Resistance training. (like the stuff you'd do in gym. sit-ups push ups, planks, crunches, lunges, leg lifts, jumping jacks, duck walks, squats.. anything that uses your body weight against you for at lease 30 minutes. ) It will help you tone your muscles and burn fat Also the trainers a the gym love it when you do a push up, then stand up and jump or do a jumping jack then go right back to a push up.. hard!!!!
    cardio. I can't run, but if you can that's best.. otherwise elliptical or bicycling works great too.

If you're not realistic you won't succeed.

what do you do now? How do you eat? what can you change?

Answer those questions and that will help guide you to a plan of health that is attainable.

Also.. I found I lost a ton of inches but not as much weight as I'd like. So remember it's not all about weight..

for below.. it is true that anything is possible.. but realistically speaking.. it's hard and it takes a ton of discipline. You're right.. cut out soda completley switch to water only, also put the sugar down.. i mean all of it.. get to veggies and super lean meats and anything whole and real.
  • GiantsGetDevoured
    Options
    It's all about how much work you put in. Don't let people say it's not possible.
    I lost 80 pounds in less than 4 months 2 years ago. It's possible. You have to be on point with your diet,don't cheat,don't
    Lie to yourself. Measure your food,count every calorie and stay away from soda.
    Hot the gym as much as possible but don't overdo it. Only as much as you feel you can handle
    And if you have a day where you don't exercise and eat way over don't sit on that day and.start a pattern.
    Get up, move on and stay focused.
    Good luck!
  • texasangel316
    Options
    My usual day exercise is a 1 mile walk/ jog. I have been off sodas for about 4 months now.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    First off sparksteens.com This site is set up for adults and the advice given is for adults. As a teenager you have different needs to the people on this site.

You can lose 40lb but doing it by your birthday is a big ask. But you have put an end date on it and that to me is worrying. I did the same thing as a teenager had to lose his much by this date. Never worked and set myself up for failure.

Talk to your parents about better food choices and how they can help. I would start extending your 1 mile walk/jog. Try Couch 2 5K program which will help.
  • fasterandbetter
    fasterandbetter Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if you are dedicated you can do it, 2 lbs loss per week is doable, here is how:

one pound is equal to 3,500 calories. This means a caloric deficiency of 3,500 calories results in one lost pound.

To create a 1,000 calorie/day deficiency:
    Subtract 500 calories from your daily food intake.
    Burn 500 calories through exercise

if you can't lose 500 through exercise then remove more calories from your daily food intake to have a 1000 calories deficit daily.

This leaves you with a shortage of 1,000 calories per day. Doing this 7 days a week sums up to a deficit of 7,000 calories which equals 2 lost pounds each week.

You will need to count everything every time
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The only time I was able to lose that much a month was when I was over 300lbs. Not saying it can't be done but you might have to do something drastic(and usually unhealthy). Aim for 1 to 1.5lb/week. That was this will be something you can stick to and you won't just gain it all back
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    http://sparkteens.com/ has all the help you'll need. MFP is not set up for someone like you.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Im 16 and I really want to lose 40 lbs in 4 month be for my 17th birthday(may1) I weigh 210 now 5' 11". I really need help, like suggestions for exercise and proper calories I should eat in a day. I'm homeschooled, so I don't do sports or track. Please help in anyway you can.
    Thank you

You are 16. You probably shouldn't be on this site (it's 18+)

I think you are better off talking to a counsellor and maybe a nutritionist or dietician about your diet. 16 year old girls shouldn't crash diet and start a yo yo cycle of dieting.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My goal is to lose 45lbs & I'd like to do it in 5 months, however if it takes me a whole year I'm fine with that too. It's a lifestyle adjustment. However the first 2 months I'm hoping to lose 10lbs, & I'm making some good changes.

You definitely need to exercise. If you want to lose that much weight that quickly & still be healthy, You'll probably need to exercise at least a good 45mins a day at least 5 times a week. A good 45 mins meaning you'll be sweating so much you need to take a shower after.