Gym Workouts for a Beginner with Bad Knees?

Options
I'm getting a gym membership today at Planet Fitness, and I was curious what exercises any of you would recommend for someone who hasn't been to the gym in over 6 months? I used to go to my school gym, but it's a class you have to sign up for and it's only circuit training with just 2 circuits to choose from. I'm trying to focus more on weight loss at the moment, though going to do strength training as well. Due to "Patellofemoral Syndrome", leg exercises are limited for me.

Suggestions? Advice? Thanks!

Replies

• sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bumping.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I started using this as my main cardio
    fluid_ube_hero.jpg

I used the bike and built up to more bike time. some people are ok starting on the bike or eliptical but I can't use the eliptical at all.

I concentrate on upper body and abs.
    bicep curls
    tricep extensions
    lat pulldowns
    shoulder press
    chest press
    crunches and situps (with weight added)
    planks
    that sort of thing.

depending on the knee injury specifics
    you may like to do
    leg extensions
    leg curls or
    squats (my physio advised using the squat machine)
    I've also seen machines which do one leg at a time, if that's any use
  • PrinnyMartel
    PrinnyMartel Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness, too!
    Not sure if they have the same stuff at your location, but I usually use the elliptical for cardio, and then do the 30 minute circut training area.
  • amnsetie
    Options
    "Patellofemoral Syndrome"

Hey that's the technical name for what I have.
    I just tell people my patella's damaged lols

Much better now I have lost a bit of weight but it still hurts when I overdo things
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm at Planet Fitness too and have sore right knee. I prefer the elliptical and the bike (not the one that's upright, where your legs extend up and down, but the one where your legs go out and in) I feel it doesn't strain my knee has much. Also be careful with squats and lunges. Don't go too deep.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I did the treadmill today and so far my knees are fine, though I think some of that is due to having a good pair of shoes as well.

I have to be careful with squats and lunges, when I used to do them, I'd literally start crying the next day because my knees hurt so much. First my doctor said the pain was probably due to improper form, but I had my instructors watch me and they all said I was doing them picture perfect, so doctor then decided it was because my patella doesn't track correctly when doing deep squats or lunges. Hence being diagnosed with "Patellofemoral Syndrome." AKA - something's wrong but it's hard to tell what, just suck it up.

I guess if I start getting any pain, I'll have to dig out my knee brace again (get the pain mainly in my right knee.)

Thanks again!
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You can also take fish oil capsules. I hurt my knee a few years ago running and went to the doctor. He told me to ice my knee for 30 minutes every night and take an Aleve. That didn't work. I did some research and found out that fish oil is a natural anti-inflammatory. I started taking two a day and a week later, the pain was gone. Just recently, the same knee started hurting (probably from the weight gain), I've been taking my fish oil (and losing 8 lbs too) and the knee pain is gone.
  • PrincessCorinne
    PrincessCorinne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to talk to one of their fitness managers; be specific that you are not (or are) willing to pay a trainer for advice, but tell them the words "I don't want to get hurt, I do want to get stronger" .. they should have some staff that is salaried and willing to help keep you safe.

From personal experience, spinning bike / elliptical over treadmill or stairclimbers are much easier on knees. Weird, but spinning bike was recommended to me to build my knee strength back up.

Good luck.
  • amnsetie
    Options
    The physio said if the exercise hurts don't do it
    So don't do Deep squats - the squat machine at my gym allows me to do less deep squats that don't hurt. He also said not to add weight until my legs were a bit stronger.

try leg extensions and leg curls but stop if they hurt too.