snack/lunch for a college student

Options
Hi, I'm a college student and I was wondering if anyone knew of any healthy, but good tasting snacks that I can eat on the go to my classes I don't get a break time, because I get out normally around lunch time or a little before. I find that even when I eat my breakfast (special K chocolaty cereal) I still get hungry in my second class. I'm planning on take my fiber one bars with me, but I don't want to get burnt out on them. So if y'all could help me out with that small snack idea I would REALLY love it.
Thanks, Meagan

Replies

• maycontainjane
    maycontainjane Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm a college kid too :)

I like fruit a lot, especially bananas. You can nick them from the dining hall in the morning and have them throughout the day. Nice and portable.

Yogurt is good too. You can take that with you if it's the single-serving stuff and it's pretty filling, especially greek yogurt which is high in protein. I've eaten yogurt in class before too no one really minds. Throw some granola in and it should keep you satisfied.

Trail mix would also be an excellent one if you find some that's got good nutrition (lots of dried fruit and good nuts, nuts keep you full!) and not too much junk (M&Ms WILL cause a crash and you don't want that when you've got homework and stuff to do).

One last recommendation would be maybe switch up what you eat for breakfast. I've been eating two eggs and a banana lately and I find that I'm not hungry at all until lunchtime because of the protein and complex carbs.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and honey sandwiches! most of the time i use only one slice of bread, a tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter, and a little bit of honey.
    almonds. apples with peanut butter. peanut butter and jelly on a tortilla instead of bread.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    In class try to keep your food quiet.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat a GOOD protein/Fat rich breakfast....

Take Tuna packets,apples,celery,nuts.protein bars,boiled eggs..
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a college student and I was wondering if anyone knew of any healthy, but good tasting snacks that I can eat on the go to my classes I don't get a break time, because I get out normally around lunch time or a little before. I find that even when I eat my breakfast (special K chocolaty cereal) I still get hungry in my second class. I'm planning on take my fiber one bars with me, but I don't want to get burnt out on them. So if y'all could help me out with that small snack idea I would REALLY love it.
    Thanks, Meagan

Fresh and dried fruit, nuts and seeds for snacks. Try eating a healthy wholefood breakfast not processed sugary rubbish that is digested super fast, you should find it will keep you fuller for longer. Jumbo or steel cut oats cooked in milk, eggs and beans, protein powder/ cottage cheese and frozen berry smoothie, layered parfait (low sugar granola, plain Greek yoghurt, fruit).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    you could take some fruit like apples or a banana or cuties, or some nuts like almonds, peanuts whatever, in a baggie for snacks. You could have a better breakfast, some more complex, like some toast and fruit, or oatmeal, or make a protein smoothie. That will keep you full longer.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Planters makes these packets of nuts (I want to say they are marketed as NUT-rition) that are pretty tasty and a good boost. Also, I know there is some hummus company... maybe Sabra... that makes single serve hummus/cracker packs. I would imagine that would be good as well.

Personally, I always had a student lounge available to me in my department's building with a fridge and microwave, so I might not be the best to offer suggestions. Might want to check to see if this is also an option for you. Good luck on finding tasty options!
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I have to take a snack to class, I usually take almonds, nature valley sweet and salty bars, baby carrots, a banana, or other fruit. I know it's hard to bring dairy of any kind because it won't really stay cold when you're on the run. And I saw someone else mentioned tuna... Please don't do that. There was one girl in a class I took a couple years ago who would bring tuna and she got death glares from everyone, me included. No one wants that.

Also piggy backing off the person who mentioned peanut butter and honey, sometimes I will make a pb&j "foldie" as she described, with just one piece of bread!

17892839.png
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    fruit, especially bananas. snickers bar (not healthy, but very satiating for only 240 kcal)
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Anything with protein and fat would help filling you up like boiled eggs, protein bars, nut butters, nuts. etc.
  • stephsteph76
    stephsteph76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack to take to class would be any Special K bars. I love the fruit crisps! The fruit crisps come in blueberry, strawberry, chocolate and cinnamon (they are only 100 calories!).
  • BlueEyedDevil88
    Options
    Home made protein bars. Almonds. Peanut butter on a rice cake.
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a frog lunch box pad locked to my backpack top loop, I keep apple sauce cups, small oranges, cereal (but I like to suck on dry cereal, especially in class so it doesn't make noise) banana, granola bars, or pb and j sandwhiches, any of t he above combos. But like someone else said keep your in class snacking quiet, I always want to punch people in the face when they are crunch crunch crunching behind me, or crinkling packaging through the whole class :)