went over my calories

Options
2»

Replies

• PaulaDygert
    PaulaDygert Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    A great friend of mine once told me not to stress over it, I went over today 233 calories but I am still with in my deficit because I have a deficit of 500. Tomorrow is a new day start over in the morning!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm not stressing as I've managed to stay under my calorie goal all week, but still, it's a bummer. Tomorrow's another day.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    worst day ever i went too long with out eating because i didnt have any food until i got home. So when i did eat i over ate any advice?????:sad:

Eat less the next day.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Weekly totals are far more important than daily.
    Not to mention it's possible to be over your goal and still be a deficit.
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I go over my calories, instead of sitting and watching tv, I stand and walk in place.

I agree with everyone else, tomorrow is another day...pack some snacks!

this is what i use to do! i'd do it if i felt i've been sitting too much that day too. might do that right now actually.

but tomorrow is another day, make sure to not wait to long to eat, i did this then went to houlihans and ate almost a whole order of appetizer chicken nachos to myself.. 2000 some cals! if i would of snacked on healthy things through out the day i probably would of been a tad more rational when it came time to eat something.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do 100 burpees as punishment!
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Yes! I have my goal set for losing 2 lbs per week. I went over today, but I still had a small deficit. What do MFP say at the bottom of your diary? "If every day were like today, you'd weigh..... in 5 weeks." If the number is less that you weigh now, then consider it a good day! If not, you'll need to do better tomorrow to continue to lose. Either way, one day is not the end.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Your goal weight set by MFP is already a calorie deficit of about 500 cals. If you went over your goal by 50, 100, 200, 300, or even 400 calories you are still at a deficit and still in a range to be losing weight. If you went over your goal by 500 calories, you'll just be maintaining and holding steady. Just because you didn't stay below the goal doesn't mean you aren't still losing and certainly doesn't mean you've become permanently unhealthy. Keep it in perspective. It's one day.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    You'll live
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    When I go over my calories, instead of sitting and watching tv, I stand and walk in place.

I agree with everyone else, tomorrow is another day...pack some snacks!

While I agree with taking some moderate measures to balance out your calories, this approach *can* lead to binge/purge type thinking if you are too strict about it. If you can and want to work off some of the calories, go for it. But, if you can't- it will seriously be OK. You start fresh the next day. Losing weight is about a long-term deficit and one day can't throw you off by much, as long as it doesn't become a habit. Everybody has bad days. Just move on and try and plan a little better in the future.

Yes, this.
  • Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Deep breath.

Calories over the long term are more important that daily. You're not going to gain weight by going over one day. Just make up for it over the next couple of days by staying under.....or do a little more exercise....Try to look at it as a week instead of a day.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I've actually begun tracking my running totals for each week starting with Sunday.

I purposely eat in the neighborhood of 500 over on Sunday with the idea of rejuvenating the metabolism, but I find that starting the week in a rut actually makes me want to work harder to burn those excess calories off. Case in point, I started last week at +1138 after a gluttonous Sunday.. by the end of Tuesday, I'd worked myself to actually having a total overall 78 calorie deficit!

I eat enough of a deficit Monday thru Friday so that I can eat 500 over on Saturday as well and still break even or be under. My idea here is that hopefully the two day spike rejuvenates the metabolism a bit so that when I get my big Monday/Tuesday burns, they hit a lot of the remaining fat, with the hopes that keeping my diet high in protein will reduce or prohibit muscle loss.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I went over a lil today too. Cheese is my weakness.

To avoid getting into a situation like you did again, it's a good thing to have easy quick healthy options with you at all times. Stick a fiber bar or a bag of dried fruit or nuts in your purse or drawer. You can ward off hunger & be less likely to overeat later. :)
  • Wendy__D
    Wendy__D Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You've been told not to worry about it quite a bit already (and sorry I haven't read every post in case this was already mentioned) but in addition to one day not making or breaking weight loss I think there's a correlation between beating yourself up and slipping up more in the future. The Nov/Dec issue of Weight Watchers magazine (not a member, just picked one up) had something about that and I could really see how that's possible. I'm not saying bad choices don't matter at all, but when you beat yourself up over them instead of learning and getting over it and forgiving yourself I can see it leading to more problems in the future. Hang in there. :-)
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It happens. I am a full time student and I also work full time. I always keep something in my car, usually some sort of granola bar or almonds/dried fruit. Usually, just enough to keep me from getting so hungry that I want to eat everything in my fridge when I get home!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Exactly. I'm not suggesting guilting yourself by 'eating less and exercising more' the next day. It's not really about that. It's just that your body doesn't reset overnight. Deficits occur over days, not in a single day. So if you go over by a few hundred calories on day, you can eat 50 calories less over the next few days and you're evening out. Unless you are super rigid, I doubt anyone eats the exact same number of calories a day. Try for an overall weekly deficit rather than stressing over a daily deficit.

Cheers.
  • 1Bigtink
    1Bigtink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days and the fact that you feel bad is good. That means you realize what you did. Now you need to learn from today and go full force tomorrow. Just remember that we are our own worst enemy. Be kind to yourself & start fresh tomorrow. Good Luck.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Learn from it and move on using the memory of this day to motivate better choices in the future.