night eater

Options
I do so well during the day, but at night I loose control..all advice appreciated

Replies

• jeebeebyproxy
    jeebeebyproxy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh, boy do I feel your pain! :sad: That is perhaps my biggest problem too. And I actually caught myself getting cranky when my kids didn't get to bed so I could eat! Oh geez.

I heard or read somewhere that if you have a problem eating at a certain time, then change what you're doing at that time. I like the quiet time after the kids go to bed, and have gotten into the habit of watching a movie or TV series while I pay bills, iron, etc. Of course, I have also gotten into the habit of eating during that time...sometimes a lot. Plus I end up being tired the next day, so I eat junk for "quick energy" during the day which makes it even worse.

So I'm trying to do something different at night so that I can get away from the habit. Does that make sense? I may take a bath and read, do the bills at the table, wash the floors instead, or go to bed instead so I get plenty of sleep. Several times it helped to do something with my hands (needlework, sewing, etc.) while I watched TV at night so that at least my hands were to busy to feed my mouth.

That said, it's evening now, and I'm already wondering if I can make it through the night without eating. Yikes!

Another idea is to have something very small or with relatively few calories, but set a limit. My sister eats one square of dark chocolate at night, but that's it. I've tried drinking a calming tea with some honey in it, or my new favorite is citron tea from the asian food market, which is good for you too.

I don't know if this is at all helpful, but I hope so, and maybe it will spark some ideas for you.

I think tonight I will try some tea, and maybe Smart Pop Kettlecorn? :smile:

jeebeebyproxy
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I have struggled with this. I have started having a LARGE glass of tea beside me. It bloats me up so much that I dont feel like eating. :smile:
  • Poetry_In_Pics
    Options
    I'm a night eater too, and to be honest that's when I consume the bulk of my daily calories. I used to think that eating late would inhibit my weightloss, but thus far that has been far from the truth... perhaps it's because I do most of my exercise in the evening/night hours? I truly believe that if you're hungry at night, a small snack won't hurt :smile:
  • sellwithcindy
    Options
    Love the tea idea, definitely goingbto give it a try..Thank you!
  • sellwithcindy
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.. I have never thought about calming tea..Being from the South when I hear "tea" I think of sweet tea with caffeine.
  • swashburn3
    swashburn3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I found I snack more after dinner if I've eaten a lot of sodium during the day. Could that be the case?
  • WorkinNurse
    WorkinNurse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too am a terrible night time eater! I am trying to drink calming tea or go to my Health Rider, but I am an emotional eater and am struggling too... I eat way too many carbs at night after dinner when I should have a healthy snack... sigh
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I do so well during the day, but at night I loose control..all advice appreciated

Are you in my head!
    I am EXACTLY the same way and do not know why!
    Good luck and interested in comments
  • KiwiKimblee
    Options
    I agree, change what you do at night. My night eating was coz I'm a secret eater, coz I was so ashamed. I now have a rule - no eating after 8pm, only water. And if I can't handle it I go to bed.
  • Bethany7053
    Bethany7053 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will eat healthy, exercise and diet all day just to consume a million calories and grams of sugar at night. I would give in to my cravings, eat a ton of junk before I went to bed, and then be mad at myself for wasting that whole day of exercising because I mostly eat sugar late at night. Well I have successfully had no sugar for 11 days now. It has been so hard but everyday is a little easier. I have been making huge fruit smoothies in the late evening (just strawberries, blueberries,raspberries, banana) and the time I am done drinking, I am too full to even think about food. I also have been going to bed earlier. I have also snacked on popcorn or pretzels, which are low in fat and sugar. Good luck!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I sleep walk and eat in my sleep. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Wake up and find all kinds of evidence. "(
  • kperez79
    Options
    I am also a sleep eater. I will wake up in the morning with a bowl next to my bed. Not remembering getting it. And it is usually cereal or ice cream or even cookies. Does anyone know how I would be able to stop this act????
  • sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I Have I hard time with that to, I find that I am a 'Boredom Eater' and tend to binge even when Im not really hungry. Im just trying to replace the junk food with Vegitables.
  • melwa
    melwa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well, you're not alone!

What drives me to do it?
    Usually it's bored, 'reward' or the "I'm not being watched so I can eat what I like" mentality.

First thing to keep in mind is - it's a habit, and habits can be changed. My 3 main methods are to drink water, clean my teeth or go to bed if I start to feel the need to snack (even if I sit up and hit the messageboards!).

For the sleep-eaters ... .I can only suggest reprogramming your brain through guided meditation to stop the trigger/response. Maybe NLP or SIlva Method (worked for me on other habits).

Hope that helps.
  • Leigh012976
    Options
    I recommend starting a new habit at the time you normally over eat. I have been told that it takes 3 weeks to form a new habit. That certainly appeared true when I quit smoking. And now I have been smoke free for over 2 years but boy that first month was torture!!!

Anyway, I used to bring a bag of microwave popcorn to work and eat it at my desk in the mornings. I have started (week one) of eating breakfast at home. I still get the urge to snack at my desk, but like when I quit smoking, I started doing something different (go to the bathroom, the water cooler, or even just getting up and walking around the shop) and before long, the feeling passes.
  • nicolamoonbrains
    nicolamoonbrains Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same until I discovered drinking warm lemon water! What I do is buy a bag of fresh lemons, squeeze half a lemon into a glass and add hot water from the kettle and then a splash of cold water from the water filter so its at a drinkable temp and then I drink it as quickly as I can (some people also add maple syrup or honey or cinnamon)! I'd say just under a pint of water is added. Once I have drunk it I feel full up! It takes a while to get used to the taste but it really works! I also drink a glass first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Lemon juice is full of goodness! It is good for digestion and is packed with vitamin C! Ever since I have added this ritual to my routine I don't snack at night... I used to toss and turn in bed feeling hungry and I couldn't sleep until I had binged a little out the fridge! No more!

Some of you may of heard of things like the lemon juice diet and the maple syrup diet, its sort of similar I guess and helps to suppress the appetite but personally I would not be that extreme and drink nothing but lemon water or whatever! I have just taken the concept and personalized it to suit me and fit it around healthy eating. If you look up "lemon juice benefits" or "lemon water benefits" there are lots of articles about drinking lemon water and how good it is for you! I feel great doing it :)

EDIT: I guess what I am suggesting is kind of like creating a new habit and maybe thats partly why it has worked! For me anyways :P
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This is my problem EXACTLY! All day long at work I can easily ignore the biscuit tin, birthday cake or whatever happens to be around, but the evenings are when it all goes wrong. I don't understand it really, I have dinner, so it's not like I'm starving, but it's like this voice in my head tells me to give in, you can start again tomorrow etc and I do! And in a big way! So if anyone has a solution for this problem please do let me know :-)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a serious night eater. If I haven't eaten within at least an hour or two of going to bed, I won't sleep. The number one change that worked for me was doing 20/4 intermittent fasting with a feeding window of 7pm-11pm. I know it's not for everyone, so here are some other suggestions that work really well. Eat high protein and fiber later in the day to keep you full longer. Save some calories for a late night snack. I don't know what I would do without my bed time peanut butter and jelly and oatmeal with protein powder.

Hope this helps.
  • gimmegimmemoar
    gimmegimmemoar Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi! Feel free to add me :) I am a night eater as well, just learned to make healthier choices before bed!
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I budget for my night eating by watching what i eat during the day. I like to eat some dessert while watching TV at night so I just exercise and plan for it :)