Diet Coke addition/withdrawals

Options
Hi

Does anybody else have a problem with diet coke (or other diet drinks)?

I have been drinking on average 7 x 330ml cans of diet coke every day for the last ten years or so. Three days ago I decided to give it up. I really had no idea about the withdrawals and on the first day I could just about keep my eyes open I was so tired, had a banging headache all day and felt very shakey and had blurred vision. I didn't put two and two together until day two and I realised then what was wrong with me - caffeine and sweetner withdrawals. I decided I couldn't do another day of withdrawals so allowed myself one can. I'm on day four now and am still having just one can per day. I intend to have none over this weekend (I'll not be at work so I should be able to cope with withdrawals better!).
I just wondered if anyone else has experiended this?

Replies

• kayla2709
    kayla2709 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have heard of this!!! I have been reading so much about diet coke and the more I read the more it makes me NEVER want to touch it again!! Its so toxic. The thing that got me was how it actually leaches the calcium out of your bones!! The women in my family suffer with Osteoporosis, so its just not worth it. If I fancy something...I now have mineral water! Good luck and stay with it....your body will thank you!
  • lynnmcnamara
    Options
    Hey, beofre Christmas I has a really bad migraine with aura. First one i have ever had with the vision problems although I have suffered with migraines for years. I was very worried about this so decided to go in for a healthier me, lose some weight and cut out all of the things in my diet which are not healthy for me. I decided to compltley cut out caffine, I used to drink so much coffee and diet and full fat coke daily. For a week and a half I was ill every day. Tired, headaches, irritable, anxious and just felt completley awful. I was able to stick to it because I have done it before a few years back and kind of knew what was coming although this time was considerably worse. It does not last forever and I feel great now. When I was drinking caffine I used to wake up feeling slugish and I dont now, i am sleeping better and my skin is noticably different.....clearer and people have also commented. I am not going back can not think of anything worse than putting something in our bodies that can make us feel like that when we dont have it, just show what affect it is having on you and most of tyhe time you do not have a clue it is happening. I still long for a cup of coffee but it's a no go. Good luck with it and remember it will not last forever and you will feel fab afterwards. I have heard of people taking a few days for it to get out of their system, unfortunatley I wasnt one of them haha but hope you are :-)
  • lexicate
    lexicate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in week two of giving up Diet Coke. I've given it up before and every time I get really bad withdrawal symptoms much like you described. Bad headaches, exhaustion, almost flu like. But after the first 5 days, I feel so much better and have even lost some weight without trying anything else different. I still drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning and sometimes some unsweetened ice tea. I seriously think the aspartame is more addicting than the caffeine though and is more of the reason for the withdrawal. (I was drinking about 5 to 6 Diet Cokes a day on average.)