Jillian Michaels and Muscle gain vs Weight loss

Options
I've been doing Jillian Michael's workouts for over 5 weeks now and although I am getting smaller I don't seem to be losing any weight. Has anyone else got similar results, or can explain whats going on here? I understand that if I'm building muscle then I won't lose weight....but can you really build that much muscle if you are at a calorie deficit? I want to be more toned and fit, but I definitely do not want to stay at this weight forever!

Replies

• Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're going through a body recomp rather than a weight loss. That's no bad thing, just means the body is dropping fat and replacing it with muscle to counter the new training you're undertaking. I have the same thing with my training.
  • dtiapril
    Options
    The important thing is that you're getting smaller and more toned. If you can see results I wouldn't worry too much about what the scales say and keep at it.

The scales are a motivation tool for the people who can't see how far they've come, but they aren't the be all and end all. Feeling good about how you look is far more important that what you weigh.
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're going through a body recomp rather than a weight loss. That's no bad thing, just means the body is dropping fat and replacing it with muscle to counter the new training you're undertaking. I have the same thing with my training.

Will the weight ever go down though? I know it is exciting that our bodies change and become leaner looking, but I know I am not supposed to be the weight I am at, even if I do have more muscle than I had when I started...OP-I have the same issue.

Would it be better to focus more on cardio until the scale moves some? Or will this body recomp shift at some point in time and also start dropping weight that we can see on the scale as well?
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes, the weight will drop as you begin to put on more muscle mass. The more muscle your body has, the more your body uses energy just to maintain. Adding training to that will see a drop.
  • Janelle173
    Janelle173 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yes, the weight will drop as you begin to put on more muscle mass. The more muscle your body has, the more your body uses energy just to maintain. Adding training to that will see a drop.

Thank you. I am in a few weight loss challenges, have been working out more consistently, and trying to eat healthier than not on more days than not, yet gained a lb. lol. I know my muscles HAVE to be retaining water, AS I am SO sore. But, I do KNOW that JM 30DS works wonders for how the body looks. :)
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem, but it doesn't bother me too much. I do look leaner and more toned when I look in the mirror, but I need to shift the weight a little - it is a psychological thing. I need to be under a certain number to be really happy!! (is that stupid or what??) How long is it going to take before the weight starts shifting? Good grief, it feels as if it is going to take forever!
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So glad I'm not the only one and didn't get any responses saying 'eat less to lose weight'. lol.

Its weird because my waist to height ratio is heading towards healthy, but my BMI is obese! Being this heavy is not good at all. My fitness and strength is going up so it is just frustrating not to see the scales go down. I guess I'll just focus on the tape measure instead of the scales and hope it goes down eventually.

I'm adding high intensity interval training cardio from today so we'll see if that makes a difference.