Ideas for dinner sides

cutelillady20
cutelillady20 Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Recipes
Hello! I just started my 1200 calorie counting diet today, so I am in need of some recipes or ideas for sides for dinner. Tomorrow evening I will be baking herb chicken and a vegetable. Some help would be great! Thanks :)

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    You could have a salad, steamed veggies, or baked potato. Wishbone has salad spritzers that are low in calories and great for flavor. For baking the chicken, I highly recommend a meat thermometer if you have one. I set mine to 165 for chicken breast, and they come out perfectly cooked and not dry.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    I buy the Trader Joe's brown rice you steam in the microwave and have 1/2 cup for 80 calories. I put a little salt and pepper on it. I think brown rice is delicious without butter. Tonight I am having turkey with a baked sweet potato and asparagus. Both of these side dishes would go very well with chicken.
  • sounds delicious! How many calories?
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    I have been doing 2 vegetables (or a veg and a fruit) and a meat. I like steak with a salad and some grilled asparagus or chicken(baked or grilled) with pineapple (baked or grilled) with fresh steamed green beans. I have to eat a meal with 3 things. Not sure why but I have it engraved in me to eat 3 things for a dinner, so I've been replacing the starch or side with a fruit or vegetable.

If I have a pasta, I always do a salad or steamed spinach. I skip the garlic bread.

Also, I just bought Rocco DiSpirito's new cookbook and everything in it is 350 cals or less. For sides, he uses cauliflower instead of potatos in just about everything that calls for potatos
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    saw this idea on a forum on here. Take spaghetti squash and mix w/ a light laughing cow wedge. YUMMY!!! I used a half a squash and 2 wedges and was just over 100 calories. Was an amazing side dish!!!!!!!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    I like steamed green beans mixed with a can of low sodium cream of mushroom soup, a little bit of milk and toss it in the oven, I sometimes throw a handful of cornflakes on top for crunch, really yummy, low cal and low fat!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    sweet potato fries, fries, baked potato, mashed potatoes, squash, cottage cheese, apple sauce, brown rice, rice pilaf, potato salad, pasta salad, jello salad, pasta, second veggie, stir fry, beans.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bumpin to offer some when I have a bit more time, also to gather some new ones of my own:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    I have been doing chicken parm. bake boneless chicken breast when cooked I spoon on sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top back until melted and serve on wheat pasta. Add a little sauce if you want but is yummy and something different. It freeze well too.
  • saw this idea on a forum on here. Take spaghetti squash and mix w/ a light laughing cow wedge. YUMMY!!! I used a half a squash and 2 wedges and was just over 100 calories. Was an amazing side dish!!!!!!!

I do this too! Laughing Cow makes any veggies AMAZING. I like to thinly slice zucchini (I use my veggie peeler to get really thin pieces), then saute them and stir in a LC cheese wedge. SO GOOD. Total comfort food, for just about 50 calories!!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    I like the Birdseye & Green Giant Steamable sides in the frozen section. My favorite one is Lightly Sauced Rotini with Broccoli...delish! 1/2 cup has 210 calories, which is a little high, but it's really filling and great if you're craving a cheesy pasta!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I love asparagus. Just cut 5 stems in half and throw it in a pan with olive oil and bake at 350 for 20 mins.
This discussion has been closed.