Eating out tips for College students?

Options
any one know any low calorie meals and snacks they regularly get on the go? Also any low calorie alcoholic drinks would help me too. I eat SUBWAY religiously but i need other options on what to eat as well and what low cal things i can buy for snacks and such.

Also, what are some good low cal MEALS that help boost energy?

>Emi

Replies

• ardent
    ardent Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    try the mcdonald's snack wrap (grilled). i have the same problem as you: in college, on the go, no time for healthy home made meals. so anyways....you may want to give it a try. i like the honey mustard one. it's just over a dollar =) i always get it on the way home from classes when i'm hungry!

good luck!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Greetings from an ex-college student... haha. I just graduated in December. Here's my suggestions

Low calorie snacks: I liked to carry granola bars in my school bag. They were quick to grab during class or on a break if I was hungry. Also, 100 calorie packs are great too. They have a million to pick from. I also keep motzzerella cheese sticks in my fridge now. They're a good source of calcium and protein for a quick snack. And you can throw an apple in your bag too :)

Low calorie drinks: Rum and diet coke is my choice. 65 calories if there is one shot in the drink. Or vodka and diet sprite if the bar has them. Fruit juices can add quite a few calories when used as a mixer. I've heard soda water and vodka with a lime or lemon is decent, but I'm not a fan. A green apple martini has 150 calories if the bartender knows how to make it. A screwdriver runs about 190 calories for 8 oz. Drinks to avoid: Margaritas can be over 500 calories each! The worst tho is the Long Island Iced Tea at a whopping 780 calories! I know I've gulped down a few of those in a night. That's more calories than I eat in 2 days now! There are websites online that have more drink suggestions. And there are more posts on these message boards with snack suggestions. Feel free to friend me and chat if you want more suggestions on eating healthy at college. I managed it last semester and lost 15 pounds :)
  • HMFoss
    HMFoss Posts: 6
    Options
    Jimmy Johns unwiches.... no mayo, no cheese

or

Chipotle Burrito Bols ... no sour cream , no cheese, no rice
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you made this topic. I'm about to have the same problem. Except the college i'm starting at, the only two things close are penn's and sonic...Talk about no healthy options. XP
    I'd go with keeping some fiberone bars. They are so good and filling. And if Chickfile is anywhere near you, they have some good options. I usually get the chargrilled chicken sandwich and a fruit cup. Very filling, yummy, and pretty low cal as far as that type of food goes. It usually keeps me going the rest of the day. :)
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    McDonalds fruit and yogurt parfait ~130 cals. Mcdonalds fruit and walnut salad ~210 cals. and delish! As for alcohol.. I like cape cods (cranberry juice, vodka, lime) :)
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you have a mini fridge, I would get slimfast shakes, get them cold and wrap in aluminum foil. Throw that in the back pack. It was something I could have on the run. But also, cheese, nuts, fruits, granola bars, etc are great to have as well and good for you (just watch the sugar on the granola bars) Best way to go is to the grocery store and just get things that can last all day/most of the day in your back pack.

I would stay away from the fast food places, if possible. Not that it will kill you to have them every so often, but it can kill your pocket book!

Good luck!
  • spirit_seeker
    Options
    I eat the Special K Granola bars. The strawberry ones taste the best. They are 90 calories each.
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    Options
    On mondays and wednesdays I'm at school from 9am to 10pm and I feel your pain! So I try to avoid fast food and bring all my food for the day because eating lunch and dinner out would cost way to much every week. Anyway, I'm in no way a perfect example but feel free to look at my food diary and see what I'm eating on monday's and wednesdays for ideas. I bring a lunch pail and leave it in my car all day. Usually I'll bring greek yogurt, fruit, granola bars, sandwhiches and sometimes I'll bring chocolate milk for lunch after I work out, it strangely totally hits the spot.
  • Emi_the_dork
    Options
    so im in LOVE with chik fil a now!!!! anyone else got any stuff to add?
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Besides what others have mentioned...

Chick Fil A salads are great!

Wendy's mandarin orange chicken salad (they also have some new salads coming out that look promising)

McDonald's chicken nugget kids meal (with apple dippers and milk)

That's all I can think of for now for restaurants... also watch out for sodium at restaurants too!

Other snacks: Yogurt, fruit, nuts, celery/carrot sticks/cucumber slices, peanut butter to spread on fruit, nuts, bottled water

I'm not in college but spent the last couple of weeks doing a lot of grab and go or packing lunches so you are welcome to look at my food diary as well.
  • lyndsloo
    lyndsloo Posts: 242
    Options
    Grab snacks:

- Odwalla Bars...organic and packed with protein and fiber (99 cents and very filling)
    - String cheese
    - yogurt
    - bananas, apples
    - Hormel grilled chicken, already cooked w/ pita and brussel sprouts

Fast Food options:

- Taco Bell Fresco Taco (160 calories)
    - Panera Bread Strawberry and Poppyseed salad (HUGE and low in calories...it is AMAZING!)