Is losing weight really so complicated?!

Options
I remember when I thought everything was simple, eat less weigh less, right? I have been eating on average 1500 calories a day for a good few months now, occasionally going over or under by a few hundred calories, but I have lost over 20 pounds with relative ease. Anyway I was happy with my goal of 1500 calories a day until I learned about 'starvation mode' and now I'm stuck in this irritating place where I'm scared to go over 1500 incase I gain weight and scared to go under incase I gain weight and scared to stay the same incase I am in fact putting my body into starvation mode seeing as my bmr is about 1500 =/ so what's the deal? I don't know if I really buy the whole starvation mode stopping you from losing weight because it's just common sense that if you are starving you lose weight right? You don't get obese people in starving countries do you? I'm so frustrated, all I want to do is lose thirty pounds by June, I will do whatever it takes to achieve that I just want an honest answer from someone who has experience with losing weight. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Yorda_x
    Yorda_x Posts: 19
    Options
    I'm so confused I've spent this whole morning bingeing on purpose to try to stop myself going into starvation mode, then I thought oh crap if I already am in starvation mode my body will apparently store all that binge as fat! Noooo. I've worked so hard to get where I am today I couldn't bear to see my weight go up again =( without mentioning working out (sick of exercise lectures, I just want to know about calories), can someone please tell me how many calories I need to eat?
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Go to this site: http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Input your information. It will then give you plenty of info, including your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), which is the amount of calories you currently burn. It will also give the amount of calories you should eat daily to lose weight. Set this as your calorie goal on MFP.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is working for you. Why change it now? (I wouldn't)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you have totally overthought the whole thing...

you were eating 1500 cals and losing weight without any problems... so carry on, it IS that simple...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yup. It really is that simple. Keep on with what you're doing and you'll keep losing weight. Don't freak out and over-do it to hit some magical number by June, though. What if you get to that number and your body composition isn't what you want, what then? Goal weight =/= goal body.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    you have totally overthought the whole thing...

you were eating 1500 cals and losing weight without any problems... so carry on, it IS that simple...
    This.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    A little trick I like to use when I'm on my diet to give the metabolism a little kick so it doesn't get used to a 2800 deficit are 'refeed days'. Look into it.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Input your information. It will then give you plenty of info, including your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), which is the amount of calories you currently burn. It will also give the amount of calories you should eat daily to lose weight. Set this as your calorie goal on MFP.

this website said for me

Caloric Need:
    Estimated Base BMR: 1206 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 1447 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 947 Calories.

not sure how accurate it is.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is simple.

Mastering your nature, rituals and daily habits is far more challenging.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if its saying you should only eat 900 cals then its talking b*llocks!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Ignore the myths and keep doing what works. There is so much misinformation out there that can trip you up if you let it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to see your food diary, and know how much you are exercising.

I also would say please stop stressing about the number on the scale. I looked at your goal weight...120 is really low for 5'7

Are you taking measurements? I highly recommend doing this. I have dropped a pant size without seeing any loss on the scale from lifting weights and exercising.
  • bdamaster60
    Options

this website said for me

Caloric Need:

I know my body pretty well and have tested how many calories I can take for maintainence. This calculator was pretty damn close.
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    the theory of losing weight is easy. too much ebnergy in you gan weight. idf you have less energy input than you expend in the course of a day, you lose weight.

doing it is the problem for many people. And this is where businesses make their money on diet books and stuff.

I basically don't do anything but count my calories and stay away from foods that the body craves due to fat content, and
    simple- carbohydrate content. cravings become hunger.
  • corinh1
    Options
    I just tried this after reading your post, it says that to loose weight I should be eating just over 1400 calories a day as apposed to the 1200 I am trying to stick to. Do you think I should up my intake by 200?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    losing weight is easy.

getting the body you want is hard.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

this website said for me

Caloric Need:

If these were the numbers on the left side, then they are your numbers when you are at the suggested goal weight. That is also the sedentary numbers, so if you exercise, or move about much at all, then you will be burning more than that. You are probably pretty short to get those numbers. The suggested weight loss number is simply 500 cals below your TDEE for a 1 pound per week loss, and if you are not far from your goal weight, then you should be looking at a slower loss.
    If you figure your numbers on the right side calculator, you will probably get a higher number. Somewhere in between the 2 is probably a good range for you.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    I just tried this after reading your post, it says that to loose weight I should be eating just over 1400 calories a day as apposed to the 1200 I am trying to stick to. Do you think I should up my intake by 200?

try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, go back to 1200.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Those calculators will give you the numbers for losing 1 pound a week. If you are shooting for 1 1/2 pounds a week, that is the difference in the numbers.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

this website said for me

Caloric Need:

This is pretty accurate as long as you are honest in your activity.