HELP! Body fat calculator problems?

Options
Whenever I do body fat calculators, they give me a fairly good body fat reading (as in not fat). However, i can't help query the accuracy of them as they only measure the waist, hips, and wrists - my fat is all in my *kitten*.

These calculators don't seem to take into account different body shapes. . . as in I could have the same measurements as someone with no *kitten*! So according to the calculator we would have the same body fat, even though I have a fat *kitten*?

To be a bit more graphic, I have vitually identical stats to Kim Kardashian including height. I find it hard to believe she also has a low body fat reading. And I find it really hard to believe my weight is mainly muscle given I have never even been to the gym that is next door!!!!

Can anyone help me? What should my fat reading be as a 25 yr old? I'm embarassed to even discuss this!

Alexe x

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am wanting to reduce my bodyfat, but i dont have a starting number or a goal number... i will just look in the mirror....

a number doesnt really mean anything, its how you feel and how you look that counts. as long as you are healthy of course!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You really can't get an accurate body fat measurement unless you do a DEXA scan, even the calipers are a very loose estimate. Formulas are even worse.
  • Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options
    Oh, it is annoying there is no accurate way as I personally prefer stats to looking in the mirror. However, this is only because when I look in the mirror, I find it really hard to have an objective view about myself. I can see why just looking in the mirror works for many others, but I want to ensure I actually am healthy.

I'm from a gymnastic background - my perception as to what is normal is therefore a little warped . . .

Thank you for your help anyway x
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you feel it's not right for you ignore body fat and just measure yourself and see the stats go down. Jut measure at your widest part for bum, I do 'hips with legs together' which is similar and that does go on my BF calculator if you want that?!? If you want it message me as I'll forget to check here I expect ;)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The most accurate reading of body fat measurements are done by fitness professionals. I wouldn't trust an online measurement, nor would I trust a doctor if all she does is take a few measurements. One method to do it is called BioSignature Modulation, which was created by Charles Poliquin and used in several countries and, for example, by Ultimate Performance in the UK. BSM is the best method I've seen, they even take bodyfat measurements based on your cheeks and knees!

If you go to http://www.facebook.com/LondonPersonalTrainers they have some pretty good tips everyday!
  • Sla6adm
    Sla6adm Posts: 31
    Options
    Thank you x
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    There's also a calculator on Fat 2 Fit radio website that uses more measurements than just the ones you listed. It's the Covert Bailey calculator and uses wrist, waist, hips, thighs, calf and forearm measurements. While these calculators aren't going to be 100% accurate, if you use the same calculator consistently, you should see improvement over time.
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    There's also a calculator on Fat 2 Fit radio website that uses more measurements than just the ones you listed. It's the Covert Bailey calculator and uses wrist, waist, hips, thighs, calf and forearm measurements. While these calculators aren't going to be 100% accurate, if you use the same calculator consistently, you should see improvement over time.

I was just over there and I did the calculations using the Covert Bailey and the Military one was 33% the other was 57%....that is a huge difference...I want to go with the latter because I don't want to fool myself...I am 212 currently so I would think that my BF% is higher...any ideas on which MAY be a bit more accurate?

edit to say: I know that both are a ROUGH, very ROUGH estimate at best. It's just, the difference is an entire persons BF%...