Interval timer suggestions

Options
I am looking at interval timers on amazon. I do the body rock workouts and need a timer to use. I have seen the gymboss ones, and those are ok, but I kind of want a watch type instead. Do the watch interval timers beep to let you know the interval is completed like the gymboss one does? I also don't have much $ to spend on one right now, so an inexpensive one to get me by until I have more $ to spend on one would be best. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be good for me? Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? I use the hiit timer i downloaded for free for android. It's customizable and it lets me combine my music and timer in one device
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No, I have a dumb phone :-( lol
  • DavPul
    Options
    It may still have a programmable timer feature. I've seen some that do. If not, get a gym boss.

I don't usually recommend spending money for fitness, but I'm going to strongly recommend you get a smart phone. The timer, mfp app, run/walk distance timers, workout logging apps, and all manner of fitness apps. It really is an all in one device
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I made an MP3 that you can put on any MP3 player. IE: iPod, cheesy MP3 player, or smartphone. They make ones for kids that are like $15 at Walmart.

The beauty is that you can make up your own intervals - even use a voice to prompt walk/run or change the treadmill settings.

I used Audacity (Windows) and just grabbed a beep tone and dropped it in as needed with music.

But I agree with DavPul - a smart phone gives you loads of options.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? I use the hiit timer i downloaded for free for android. It's customizable and it lets me combine my music and timer in one device

I do have a smart phone but I am not too smart myself. How do I find the hiit timer to download?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options

I do have a smart phone but I am not too smart myself. How do I find the hiit timer to download?

Android Market now Google Play
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

go to the app store, or google play if you have droid. search for HIIT timer. there are a few, find the one with the best rating.

i would recommend trying the app out in your living room, just to figure it out before you actually work out with it. nothing like trying to figure out an app when you are ready to work out.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

go to the app store, or google play if you have droid. search for HIIT timer. there are a few, find the one with the best rating.

i would recommend trying the app out in your living room, just to figure it out before you actually work out with it. nothing like trying to figure out an app when you are ready to work out.

Is it fairly easy to figure out?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

go to the app store on your phone and download the app. you tell me if it's easy to figure out.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Gymboss Interval Trainer.
  • jrue1985
    Options
    Thank you; my thread is kind of running away from me!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I use Seconds for iOS. Costs like $3. I'm sure there are free versions that do the same but I quite like the app.
  • aweigh2go
    aweigh2go Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There's an app called "Tabata Pro" I use when I do intervals. You can set the times for the prepare, work, and rest periods. You can also customize a number of intervals and the number of cycles.
  • mycoffeeinbed
    mycoffeeinbed Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin GPS watch, I use the the Galloway Method Run for 4 minutes and walk for 1 mintues , you can setup how you want the intervals and the watch will chime when its time to walk. Works great for me. I was able to increase me times and go much further. I am just a beginner, but ran my first 1/2 marathon in 2 hours! Good luck!
  • DavPul
    Options

go to the app store on your phone and download the app. you tell me if it's easy to figure out.

I think we're being trolled
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    My watch has an interval timer on it but it is not as programable as the gymboss timer and it's far too quiet a beap to hear to be honest.

I just keep my eye on the clock, but if I was doing a lot (such as bodyrock) I'd get a gymboss.
  • jrue1985
    Options
    :-D
  • jrue1985
    Options

I think we're being trolled

LOL! Looks that way. I tried to download one on my phone, and it is in fact, just too dumb lol! I guess I will be buying a gymboss. I want a nice watch one, but I will get that as a reward to myself later on in the year if I meet my goals. For now a cheapie will be ok :-) Thanks for the help DavPul, and to the others who helped me out :-D