Tea making

Options
Hello,
This is mainly for Brits because we have strong feelings about tea, but other people can join in too if they have a view!

OK, when making tea (as in a cup of normal tea) MILK first or WATER first?? and WHY?? I know this can be a very devisive issue!!

Replies

• jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I usually put milk in second because I think it changes the taste and makes a weaker cup of tea if its got milk in first. :)
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Milk first. What you're trying to do is keep the milk from being scalded by the water.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I dont drink tea myself but never understand putting milk in first unless you've made a pot of tea and so it's been allowed to brew before hitting the milk.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I drink tea daily even though I am not British. I put the milk in second, I usually just steep a cup so if I put milk first if I didn't steep the tea long enough then my tea is weak. I also steep the bag so long that it isn't boiling when I add the milk.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I think milk first because else you get a greasy film on top (but this might only be in soft water areas, not sure)
    I am a recent convert after years of going water first. I did wonder if it would brew properly but I've found it actually does.

BUT I do see the brewing without the milk argument. I suppose this is why teapots, best of both worlds!
    xx
  • rich6819
    rich6819 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hbizzy is correct in my opinion. If it's in a mug; MIS, if it's from the teapot; MIF.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I drink tea every day, but I have never added milk to mine. When I make it for the kids, milk goes in second.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Always water first. To properly infuse the tea the water needs to be as close to 100 C as possible, if you add the milk first this immediately reduces the temperature of the water, stopping the infusion. This is why you can not get a good cup of tea anywhere that is at altitude as water boils at a lower temperature the higher you go. If you are making a pot of tea, you should always warm the pot first to stop the dramatic drop in temperature when you had the boiling water to the cold pottery.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Hbizzy is correct in my opinion. If it's in a mug; MIS, if it's from the teapot; MIF.

^^^THIS^^^
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Regular tea: Boil a mug of water (add sugar if you like), when the water is violently boiling, add 1/2 tea spoon of black tea. Boil it more for about 2-3 minutes. Now when you pour it in a cup, you can use 1 tbsp of powdered milk if you like. Or some evaporated milk. If you prefer regular moo-cow milk, I would suggest using it while boiling (around the time you add sugar). This way you can limit your use of milk rather than eliminating it completely

doodh patti: boil a mug of milk, when the water is boiling violently, put half a tea spoon of black tea in it with sugar (if you like). Wait about 2 minuets

ilaichi chai: start boiling a mug of water, add some milk into it (as much as you prefer) with 2 pods of cardamom. As soon as it starts boiling, add 1/2 tsp of black tea with sugar. Boil for 2 more minutes,

If you take away the cardamom from the above ilaichi chai then that is regular indian chai. If you make that 1 tsp of black tea in it then it is tadak chai. If you add Jaggery in the start of boiling process in any of those chais then it becomes "gur chai" (or "gud chai")

This is how we make it in Pakistan and many areas of India.

Hope this helps you a bit. Good luck.

PS. This is a copy/paste. I know a bit off-topic but this gave the recipes and how my people add milk too
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't put milk in my tea anymore but when I did, I added it after it was already brewed in the water.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm American but I do have a strong opinon about this :flowerforyou:
    I think water first because you need the heat for a good strong steep. Then milk (for me vegan milk) Cheers!
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Always water first. To properly infuse the tea the water needs to be as close to 100 C as possible, if you add the milk first this immediately reduces the temperature of the water, stopping the infusion. This is why you can not get a good cup of tea anywhere that is at altitude as water boils at a lower temperature the higher you go. If you are making a pot of tea, you should always warm the pot first to stop the dramatic drop in temperature when you had the boiling water to the cold pottery.

Yup.
  • our_ayley
    our_ayley Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Water first to brew the tea. Then milk to add flavour. Water has to be boiling for the leaves in a teabag to properly brew.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This, if you are using tea bags. If making tea with leaves in a teapot, milk first.
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump

American here. Curious about trying out milk in tea.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I need a Brit to teach me how to make proper tea.

I have tried putting milk in tea and it just doesn't work out right. I put it in my chai (as a latte -- and water first, steep, then milk), but in any other tea, it just doesn't seem to taste right. I know I'm missing something ...
  • ashleyhacker
    Options
    I only use milk if I am making boba tea.
    Otherwise its just straight boiling/simmering water with a tea bag and some honey.
    I'm American, of British descent, living with Chinese man and he taught me the Asian love of tea.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I would think water first then milk, just for the steeping. However, I never tried to brew it with the milk in it already. I can't wait to go get a tea pot, then I can steep it apart! I really want to get a tea ball though, and brew from my own tea leaves. :)
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Bump

American here. Curious about trying out milk in tea.

It only works really with a breakfast blend, not too great with green tea or earl grey