Tea making

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I make teabag tea in the mug, so of course I add water first. If the milk went in first the water wouldn't be sufficiently near boiling to properly steep the tea.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I need a Brit to teach me how to make proper tea.

I have tried putting milk in tea and it just doesn't work out right. I put it in my chai (as a latte -- and water first, steep, then milk), but in any other tea, it just doesn't seem to taste right. I know I'm missing something ...

Probably the blend, you need a nice breakfast blend such a Twinnings

With tradiitonal Chai Tea they heat the milk, water, tea and spices together for many hours over a medium heat
  • jenihullett
    jenihullett Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I drink tea daily even though I am not British. I put the milk in second, I usually just steep a cup so if I put milk first if I didn't steep the tea long enough then my tea is weak. I also steep the bag so long that it isn't boiling when I add the milk.

I do the exact same thing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I need a Brit to teach me how to make proper tea.

I have tried putting milk in tea and it just doesn't work out right. I put it in my chai (as a latte -- and water first, steep, then milk), but in any other tea, it just doesn't seem to taste right. I know I'm missing something ...

So, just the English breakfast tea, then? I don't know if I ever tried putting milk in that. I have some at home, but I don't know what brand. We have Twinnings here, though. Maybe I'll try this weekend.

Is it just a splash of milk? My chais are a cup of water and a cup of milk with some honey, but it seems like that would be too much milk for other teas.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I dont drink tea myself but never understand putting milk in first unless you've made a pot of tea and so it's been allowed to brew before hitting the milk.

This.

Milk on top of a tea bag seems to stop it from brewing well and it ends up too weak. If the tea's already brewed in a pot then I'll put milk in first.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Is it just a splash of milk? My chais are a cup of water and a cup of milk with some honey, but it seems like that would be too much milk for other teas.

Yes, just a splash. I probably only use around a desertspoon of milk in black tea. Some people would have a bit more.
  • rml_16
    Options

Yes, just a splash. I probably only use around a desertspoon of milk in black tea. Some people would have a bit more.
    Thanks! I'm going to try again.
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Thanks! I'm going to try again.

Amount of milk is purely to your own taste
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to have the water boiling when you pour it on the teabag - this is why tea in the US (and often Europe) is not very strong because you get brought a cup of water with a teabag on the saucer (and a slice of lemon.) Also if you use the Lipton yellow label they are not strong nough - try 2 teabags if you can't get Assam or English Breakfast tea. Give the teabag a good squeeze (wiht the spoon against the side of the cup) before taking it out then add enough milk so the colour looks "right" - this is a matter of taste, my boss likes very little milk, my mother-in-law really weak and milky, I'm about in the middle. (About medium oak works for me)
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Black tea is so much better steeped in a teapot! As someone else said, warm the pot and add your tea bags or leaves and pour just boiled water over them. Then decide for yourself if you'll put milk into the mug (or teacup) first or after you've poured the tea.

I do have a large pottery mug with a lid that makes a passable cup of tea, though. In there the milk has to go in second.

Anyone else think tea out of a styrofoam cup is horrible?
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I don't drink tea very often, but when I do, it's water first always! I've had folks make me tea where they've put the milk in first & it becomes too milky for my tastes, oh and no sugar or sweetner!

Indian Chai every once in a while, since I like that extra sweet :bigsmile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Eww, I always thought Twinings (especially Yellow Label, the hotel-room curse of the international traveller), is why foreigners think British tea is revolting.

To understand British milk-in tea you need a good everyday blend like PG Tips, Yorkshire or Tetley, brewed with just-boiled water (and never re-heated water). Milk in the cup first if using a teapot, milk last if brewing in a mug.

BEWARE tea blends don't always travel - they are subtly different around the country to account for hard or soft water.
  • trimom2007
    Options
    I gave up coffee a few weeks ago in an attempt to cut down caffeine as I was having crazy heart palpitations. I couldn't give up my warm morning drink ritual altogether so I switched to Chai Tea. I've been using Stash tea bags, regular in the morning and decaf at night. I always boil water in a kettle then pour the water into a 12oz. mug, then add two tea bags. Steep for 4 or 5 minutes, wring out the tea bags by pressing against spoon, then add milk and sweetener (splenda or agave).

I have a feeling there is a better way to make chai tea. Can anyone enlighten me?! It is really worth steeping loose tea in a tea pot and then straining? Please help me recover my English roots as my family has been entirely ruined by American ways over the past 100 years! ;-)
  • WrenStory
    WrenStory Posts: 103
    Options
    Bump

American here. Curious about trying out milk in tea.

It only works really with a breakfast blend, not too great with green tea or earl grey

Thanks! I drink green tea now and I guess I intinctively figured milk wouldn't taste right in it. But I just recently ordered an earl grey & lavender tea... so I should be looking for a breakfast blend. Will do.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I always put the milk in second, because:
    1. I can see exactly how much milk I need to put in.
    2. For some weird reason I hate the sight of a tea bag sitting in milky tea.
    3. After years of doing it this way, some kind of beverage expert assured me it was the correct way to do it. I can't remember the reasoning now, but it was possibly the reason quoted from RAF guy below.

Always water first. To properly infuse the tea the water needs to be as close to 100 C as possible, if you add the milk first this immediately reduces the temperature of the water, stopping the infusion. This is why you can not get a good cup of tea anywhere that is at altitude as water boils at a lower temperature the higher you go. If you are making a pot of tea, you should always warm the pot first to stop the dramatic drop in temperature when you had the boiling water to the cold pottery.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Although I'm English I am not a huge tea drinker, however, I am a huge tea maker lol. I put the water in first let the tea bag brew for a bit squeeze it then take it out and put a splash of milk (I do put sweeteners in at the same time as the tea bag so the hottest water hits them and they dissolve better). I have a few friends who drink their tea so weak it's just impossible to do using this method though, so with them I reverse it. Personally when I have to drink tea made with tea bags it's strong with no sugar, normally I use tea leaves and then it's black with no sugar :smile:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Eww, I always thought Twinings (especially Yellow Label, the hotel-room curse of the international traveller), is why foreigners think British tea is revolting.

To understand British milk-in tea you need a good everyday blend like PG Tips, Yorkshire or Tetley, brewed with just-boiled water (and never re-heated water). Milk in the cup first if using a teapot, milk last if brewing in a mug.

BEWARE tea blends don't always travel - they are subtly different around the country to account for hard or soft water.
    Oh dear!

Well, will try Twinings (Twinnings?) and Tetley because I know we have both in the States. I haven't ever seen the other two, but I'll look and see if I can find them. I don't know what I have at home. I wish I could remember. And I'll play around with the amount of milk and see what works for me.

Thanks for the help!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Always milk in last, so you can judge how you like it, weak, strong, milky? I have never understood how anyone can know in advance how the tea will turn out if mif

I brew in a tea pot, from loose leaves, for breakfast cuppa, but teabag in a mug later in day. But always mil

leave to brew for around 3 minutes to release the anti oxidants, then add the milk

English BTW, and was horrified on first trip to US when I ordered tea & got an iced cupful, eh , what?

But soon got to love the over easy eggs etc

PS was also horrified to see my daughter pouring milk in mug, tea bag in, then pouring on water, good job I was on beer at the time :drinker:
  • rml_16
    Options
    English BTW, and was horrified on first trip to US when I ordered tea & got an iced cupful, eh , what?

Where were you? Most restaurants here have hot and iced tea and usually when people want iced tea, that's what they say.

And in any coffee house, they serve hot tea regularly.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    "tea" should be made the way it is in Asia, i.e. "chai''. any other way of brewing it is like putting brown sauce on caviar.