Calling all Personal Trainers

Options
newcs
newcs Posts: 717 Member
Groupon is running a deal right now where you can get certified by the NCCPT for $148 and I'm considering doing it. I don't really plan to work in the fitness industry (though maybe that will change down the road) but I think it would be an interesting way to learn about fitness and nutrition from a potential PT's view. I'd have to also get CPR certified which is $90.

What do you think? Have you taken this course/test? What certification is considered to be the "gold standard" and how does this one measure up? Is this worth it if I'm most likely just going to use it for my personal use?

Replies

• newcs
    Options
    No one? I know there are personal trainers on here...
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Never heard of the NCCPT.

If you're more interested in learning fitness than getting the actual certification, then I'd suggest getting either the NASM or ACE certification text books from either Amazon or Barnes & Noble. It will cost you around $70.00.
  • meghannrenee
    meghannrenee Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I saw that and am interested in what certified PTs have to say too...
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If I ever hire a PT, whether they got their certification through a Groupon offer is going to be one of my screening questions.
  • newcs
    Options
    If I ever hire a PT, whether they got their certification through a Groupon offer is going to be one of my screening questions.

haha and what would the response of yes indicate to you? To me, it would indicate they're financially conscious. This is coming from someone who got a bachelor's and a master's from a well respected college with a high price tag and ended up with an awesome job right next to grads from the state school so I don't buy that cutting costs means cutting quality.

To another poster: Thanks for the input on the other certs. I'll definitely check their books out on Amazon. I hadn't thought to just get the textbooks and do self study but that's a great idea. I am mainly interested in just learning the stuff and wouldn't likely ever use the certification but it would be cool to say I had it.
  • newcs
    Options

Thanks! I've been reading fitness related articles, blogs, etc daily so I'm glad to have more to add to my list :)
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of them..... NASM and ACSM are gold standards. You don't want to just go with a deal when getting certified. I look at a person's education background as well as who they were certified through when looking at trainers..
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I’m not sure why a Groupon would render a product as dubious, maybe there is a lack of understanding regarding marketing economics. I know people who have spent thousands of dollars on vacations and large screen TVs purchased through Groupon, and the tans they received in the Caribbean and the picture quality on their TVs seemed to be of the same quality as those of people who booked vacations through travel agents or bought TVs at a local retail store.
    Groupon is running a deal right now where you can get certified by the NCCPT for $148 and I'm considering doing it. I don't really plan to work in the fitness industry (though maybe that will change down the road) but I think it would be an interesting way to learn about fitness and nutrition from a potential PT's view. I'd have to also get CPR certified which is $90.

What do you think? Have you taken this course/test? What certification is considered to be the "gold standard" and how does this one measure up? Is this worth it if I'm most likely just going to use it for my personal use?

The NCCPT certification is NCCA sanctioned and just as rigorous as any of the others, it is just newer. I looked at practice exams across multiple certifications while preparing, and didn’t notice a lot of variation in content. I can’t speak to the certification in terms of employability and earnings potential as a career personal trainer, as I became certified to educate myself and improve my own fitness and nutrition.

Also, don’t pay $90 to get CPR certified! If you buy the package, there is a link on the website to an affiliate who offers CPR certifications for far less!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I would get the NASM study guides & videos. You can get them used on Ebay. I don't think they come with an anatomy guide. Boring stuff, but to truly understand exercises, you need to know anatomy well, so try to learn the origin, insertion, and movements of the major muscles at each joint. This is good site for that - http://www.getbodysmart.com
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Huh?

Why, because groupon offers deals on items because the business is trying to get more customers and make a little ching?

I use groupon a lot and I know plenty of people who have done things through groupon like helicopter rides, sky diving, things like that and have had no issues. I did a ride-along in a race car during the summer and got a deal through groupon. It was very professional and super safe.

It's quality businesses offering deals. It's like a coupon. Would you not use a coupon because it would mean the service you're getting is shoddy? I doubt it.