Hashimoto's Throiditis?

Options
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am on medication but seeing no result in the weight loss dept. I eat close to my caloric suggestion to lose and I'm moderately active. (Not going to lie, I don't put on the sweat band and work it like I should). I take a thyroid support supplement every day but I was curious if anyone knew a good cleanse and good tips to jump start the weight loss for someone with Hashimoto's.

Replies

• AliceAsya
    AliceAsya Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This advice applies to everyone, not just people with thyroid issues.... weigh out your food with a scale. When people start tracking the often times eye-ball their portions, and most people get it wrong. Try that for a few weeks and see what happens. Best of luck!
  • mwalker73
    Options
    This is great advice. I have hypothyroidism and was eyeballing my portions. Sadly, what I thought was 3oz was actually closer to 1.5oz. I was overestimating my calories and was beginning to have heart palpatations due to low caloric intake and medication.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am on medication but seeing no result in the weight loss dept. I eat close to my caloric suggestion to lose and I'm moderately active. (Not going to lie, I don't put on the sweat band and work it like I should). I take a thyroid support supplement every day but I was curious if anyone knew a good cleanse and good tips to jump start the weight loss for someone with Hashimoto's.

Please explain to me how a cleanse is going to jump start your weight loss?
  • Avanwinkle83
    Options
    If I knew, I wouldn't be asking.... do you have any other suggestion?
  • Avanwinkle83
    Options
    I was mostly asking if anyone, particularly those with knowledge of and/or expeirencing Hashimotos knew of any tips to help weight loss. I worked out with a personal trainer and was at the gym 4 days a week for 3 months eating 1200 cals a day low carb no sugar etc and lost 2 pounds. My disease is hindering my weight loss and I was looking for advice or tips on dietary changes, foods I should eat, foods I should avoid etc. I've done some research but comments from those first hand experience is what I'm looking for. Smart comments are not appreciated but advice is... thanks.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    If I knew, I wouldn't be asking.... do you have any other suggestion?

I'm just wondering why you want to do a cleanse? What benefit it would have....especially to someone already struggling with a medical condition? I wasn't trying to be "smart" but simply wondering why you thought it would be beneficial.

I have relatives with Hashimoto's. You can lose weight - it's not a sentence to be fat. Ultimately, it still comes down to calories in, calories out....and making good, informed choices.

I would recommend using a food scale. You should weigh everything you eat.

How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • Avanwinkle83
    Options
    I don't know anything about cleanes, which is why I was asking. I've heard they are good for you, I've heard they were not.

I was burning about 500-700 cals a day and taking in 1200. I was making smart choices, avoiding sugar and carbs and not eating late. Spacing out my meals to keep up my motabolism and in 3 months I lost 2 pounds... and I actually gained inches in my waist... it's extememly frustrating. I am trying to lose 100 lbs.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    I don't know anything about cleanes, which is why I was asking. I've heard they are good for you, I've heard they were not.

I was burning about 500-700 cals a day and taking in 1200. I was making smart choices, avoiding sugar and carbs and not eating late. Spacing out my meals to keep up my motabolism and in 3 months I lost 2 pounds... and I actually gained inches in my waist... it's extememly frustrating. I am trying to lose 100 lbs.

I know this is going to sound counter-intuitive, but you aren't eating enough.

Your BMR is probably well over 1200 (mine is about 1600 for example - I'm 5'6" and I weigh 184). Your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is well over that (mine is about 2500 per day - average). You have a huge deficit there. Right now, you're only netting 500-700 calories. That's not a lot. I understand that your ability to burn calories is decreased, but probably not to the point that you should only net 500 cals a day.

You should probably talk to your doctor and get a referral to a nutritionist to discuss different diets and options. Some articles recommend an "anti-inflammatory diet", some recommend low-carb, glueten free, paleo, intermittent fasting, etc. A nutritionist can help you determine the correct path to take. However, I don't think any of those diets will include eating so little.

Meal timing won't increase your metabolism and eating at night won't slow it down. That's all personal preference. But once again, talk to a nutritionist. You need information - lots of it - from a credible source so you aren't trying things that aren't going to work and will only continue to frustrate you. If you want long term success, arm yourself with research and patience.
  • Avanwinkle83
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I've considered a nutritionist for myself and my boyfriend (who insists that vegetables are poison and pizza is good for you, not literally but that's his attitude). I will ask my endocrinologist if he can give me a referral to a dietician/nutritionist. This website is the site that gave me the 1200 cal number so maybe I should re-evaluate....
  • sasscatt
    Options
    Hello,

I have hashi's too and trying to change my body comp. If you have 100 pounds to lose and were netting 500 calories (1200 eat - 500 burn) that's WAY too low! The reason you seemed to lose weight but gained inches means your body freaked out, went into a starvation kind of mode and decided to store extra fat incase of famine. If I cut my calories too low, my body also does this to me. Also, keep salt at max 1500mg per day.

I would bump calories by 100 each week til you reach 2000 at least and see how your body reacts for 3-4 weeks at that level and monitor closely (with exercise). After 4 weeks, take off 100 calories and do so every 2 weeks until you start to lose weight again. 30 minutes per day with 3 days rest. With hashi's you need to de-stress. working out 1 hour per day, every day (for instance) is too much stress.

Better yet, buy a bodyfit armband from fitshop.com.au or bodymedia.com. It will tell you exactly how many calories you are burning and takes out the guess work. you can then sync the band with myfitnesspal. My bet is you are burning between 2500 and 3000 calories per day at your weight.
    My sister is 40 pounds overweight and she was shocked to find she was burning on average 2700 per day! a busy mum. and she stalled weight loss by trying to eat 500 calories per day. all it did was made her weak and sick.

hope this helps.