Reflective stuff for plus sizes

Options
I want to start the couch to 5k training again but like being outside. I like being able to alter my pace that way (instead of the dreadmill).
However, I realize now just how dangerous it is for me to be out without something reflective. I didn't care before and would try to make sure my ipod was facing them or something if a car came. Luckily I stay in my neighborhood and they're not too much road traffic (it's a closed neighborhood, so the only traffic is to go to a home). One of my husbands coworkers was hit by a car earlier this week and passed away, so I guess I'm being much more careful because of that (although she jaywalked in a busy road-but still).

Problem? I can't find any reflective vest type things that fit my obese butt. I want something comfortable that doesn't feel constrictive and allows me to move but will provide me the visibility I need.
Any luck with a plus size style vest? Would I be better off just buying some tape or something and taping up my shirt before going out?

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I want to start the couch to 5k training again but like being outside. I like being able to alter my pace that way (instead of the dreadmill).
    However, I realize now just how dangerous it is for me to be out without something reflective. I didn't care before and would try to make sure my ipod was facing them or something if a car came. Luckily I stay in my neighborhood and they're not too much road traffic (it's a closed neighborhood, so the only traffic is to go to a home). One of my husbands coworkers was hit by a car earlier this week and passed away, so I guess I'm being much more careful because of that (although she jaywalked in a busy road-but still).

Problem? I can't find any reflective vest type things that fit my obese butt. I want something comfortable that doesn't feel constrictive and allows me to move but will provide me the visibility I need.
    Any luck with a plus size style vest? Would I be better off just buying some tape or something and taping up my shirt before going out?

what about using glow in the dark or reflective fabric paint? http://www.joann.com/tulip-1-oz-dimensional-glow-in-the-dark-fabric-paint-many-colors/xprd821476/

or here is fabric tape that is reflective http://www.identi-tape.com/sew-on.html you could sew this on to something that fits you
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I was able to find a reflective vest in the men's clothing section at Wal-mart. The vest has straps with velcro fastenings, so it's easily adjustable. It's something that a road worker would wear to give you an idea.
  • Crosbinium
    Crosbinium Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I found a comfortable reflective mesh vest that I wore for walking after dark for about $5 at Lowes in the safety equipment area.
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Check out REI. We were just up there and they had a small light/reflective section with the bicycling stuff. They had lights you could put on your clothes, gloves that had flashing red LED lights on them, things to put on your shoes and reflective "tape" that I think you can put on clothes!
    Or just go to any local Walmart ect. and look in the bicycle section. Tons of stuff!
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I didn't even think about that! We went to D*ck's sporting goods earlier and they had one style of vest and it was incredibly tight. Then again, their clothes only go up to an XL.
  • janatleigh
    janatleigh Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    this is going to sound really stupid, but there are reflective necklaces that are meant for kids to wear at halloween...
  • jms1985
    jms1985 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Or even glow necklaces would work!

You should be able to find a men's vest used for working (vs. exercising) with no problem... I think everyone covered it with Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot.... if you still can't find them, maybe an auto parts store? Not sure.... Good luck, and kudos for being safe when you're out!
    this is going to sound really stupid, but there are reflective necklaces that are meant for kids to wear at halloween...