Tasting metal?

Options
It is really strange .... but I can always tell when I'm actively losing weight. I get a metal taste in my mouth. At this point I'm considering myself just plain weird. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are you doing low/no carbs? I've heard it's a common thing when you're not eating enough carbs.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    dehydration can cause a metallic tastes in your mouth. So can medications, pregnancy, chemo, gum disease, leaky fillings,
  • Gangwolf
    Options
    I always get that taste in my mouth when I am very hungry or haven't eaten enough fat or protien.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I get that as well. I normally take it to mean I am missing some vitamin or mineral, but I am not sure what it is....
  • ohmyheck
    Options
    Are you cleansing or detoxing? Perhaps that's where the taste is coming from?!
  • lorijean38
    lorijean38 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Detoxing ..... that could be it!! I am certainly well hydrated
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    I would wait another couple or so weeks and then possibly go to your doctor about it. Detoxing is possible but if it's something that's ongoing, you might need to see a doctor/nutritionist to see if you have the right levels of everything in you :)
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    This can happen when your kidneys are releasing ketones. If you are not following a low carb diet you may want to go see your Dr.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are not deficient in vitamins/minerals, could be bleeding gums.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The only time I get that is if I've had a cold and as it's going away I'll get a metallic taste when I cough. No idea why but I take it as a good sign that I'm on the mend.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I had this taste when I was pregnant. Turned out I had a zinc deficiency, discovered through bloodwork.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This can happen when your kidneys are releasing ketones. If you are not following a low carb diet you may want to go see your Dr.

This was my first thought as well. That could be a symptom of something serious, go see your dr.
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would have this checked out just to be on the safe side – it can be many things – from infection (usually oral) or metal poisoning , or any medication you might be taking.

I have to take an iron supplement – at found out I was taking too much which caused it for me.

Good Luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Review your diet to ensure you are eating a balance of all the food groups and all the nutrients the body needs - water alone does not hydrate you, nutrients such as carbs and electrolytes help the body hold water. If you are fully confident you are eating a nutritious balanced diet see your doctor.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had this taste when I was pregnant. Turned out I had a zinc deficiency, discovered through bloodwork.

^^ Same here.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Are you eating very low carb?

If not, go see a Doctor. It's something you should get checked out.