how do I increase my running endurance more quickly?

Options
Hi!
I'm training for a 10k run, and since I was never a runner and used to smoke, I've started with baby steps. I've been doing running with a couple of minutes walking in between, gradually upping my running time and decreasing my walking time so now I recover for 1 minute then run again for longer. How can I get rid of that walking time and learn to run continuously?

Thanks
Rachel

Replies

• ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    look at the couch to 5k program (you add a few more weeks to get to 10k) I think it gets you to 5k in 10 weeks or so then like 5 more weeks to get you to 10k
  • sweetrevenge
    Options
    I absolutely agree with ammingjay and this was going to be my exact advise. Google Couch to 5K and use that format. I started the Couch to 5K after the birth of my last and biggest baby (9 lbs. 12 oz.). I only "started" it because I ended up moving soon after that and just never picked it back up, but I can tell you that from doing that I know you are on the right track with the walk/run technique.

On a side note......10K!!!!! Go you!!!! Very impressive!!!!
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

Where would you find the 'couch to 5k' training information?

I hope I don't sound silly asking this!! :blushing:
  • ammingjay
    ammingjay Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    "there's an app for that" (there's a couch to 5k app on itunes) I haven't looked at it.

There are a ton of sites if you google it... that's the best bet
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I did not like couch to 5k. I would recommend interval training, I used cardio coach by sean o'malley. His programs can be used for all types of cardio and I used them to go from walking to running the last time I checked he has 8 workouts available and you can sample the workouts at cardiocoach.com
  • bodycon
    bodycon Posts: 16
    Options
    is that a podcast? xx
  • bodycon
    bodycon Posts: 16
    Options
    are those workouts in a podcast? x
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5 K and after trying to run 20 minutes (2 miles) straight, I got very sick. I'm letting myself walk when I need a break but still looking at my time. I did 2.25 miles in 23 minutes yesterday (that was with walking for 3 minutes in between miles) and thought that was pretty good. I'm just trying to run a little further and walk a little less each time. You can't push yourself to the point of injury or illness so just listen to your body.