Very discouraged

Options

Replies

• taytay9955
    Options
    You can do this, I hear that you are frustrated because the scale has stalled, I completely understand that . When I start to beat myself up over not losing weight I focus on my NSV I make of list of things that are better now than when I started (more relaxed, better sex life, healthier body and mind) focusing on these things can help me get through the stall outs. Also I'll take up a new exercise so that my mussels get sore or that I feel like I'm progressing in my education of fitness
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Is this another joke?
  • cpaige908
    cpaige908 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am allowed 1250 calories a day with the goal to lose a pound a week. I started in August and just now reached a loss of 10 pounds. I see your goal weight is 120, which probably means you don't have a lot of weight to lose to start with. The smaller you are, the harder it is to see immediate results. I only weigh myself every 2 weeks or so because I would get upset otherwise. Just get on a routine and before you know it, you'll notice your clothes feel baggier and your stomach feels tighter.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Don't let doubt beat you.Good luck
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have problems if I eat sugar and carbs! I really have to keep them under control or I gain weight even if I'm under my calorie allowances. Even skim milk is full of sugar, so you have to really watch everything. I am the most OCD label reader!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Hi...I would look at how many calories you are consuming each day...you maybe eating too fewer calories then you should be and are in starvation mode... thats when the body holds on to every little bit of food because the body feels it is not getting enough to sustain itself...check online how much you should be eating for your weight and how much you want to loss...this system told me I should eat only 1200 calories a day...that is not safe for anyone...(adult women). i now eat 1600 calories per day and have been losing consistently...if I am hitting a plateau I up my exercise intensity :) I weigh myself every other day...but once a week would be good.

Also if you find you are fluctuating in weight... check the food you eat...you could be bloated because of what you eat...check out Dr. OZ. he talks about food allergies that can make your weight fluctuate (gain).

Best of luck :)

I agree with most of this post except about Dr. Oz--despite his fame, he is basically a quack selling a different product on TV each week. If you truly believe you have some kind of food allergies, consult with your own doctor.

Edited to add: as many people have already posted, you gotta give it more than 10 days to make a significant change. Best of health to you!
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It sounds strange, but eat more that 1200. I just upped my calories because I stalled on weight loss. I was eating 1200. Now I eat between 1310-1400 and the weight feels like it's literally falling off of me. Lost almost 4 lbs in two weeks. It made me nervous upping the calories (VERY nervous), but it was so worth it. I feel better because I'm eating more, I have a bit more energy and the weight is falling off. Also, make sure you eat back whatever calories you burn during exercise (very important). Good luck!

I may up my calories again if the weight loss stalls again ;)
  • slboling
    slboling Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Dont weigh yourself every day...im beginning to get discouraged too. I think im going to stop and only weigh once a week. I wasnt too happy with the scale either I keep fluctuating which is still normal.

I agree so much in only weighing once a week. Look at this as long term. You did not get here in one day and you won't get back in one day. Results WILL happen, you just have to believe in yourself. We believe in you. You can do this!!!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

INTERESTING. This site says for me to get to my goals weight (120 pounds) I need to eat 1,200 calories. I'm already half way there with just breakfast today - which only consists of yogurt with blueberries, raspberries, grapes. coffee and orange juice !
    [/quote]

This seems like a lot of sugar. Sure, they're all healthy, but all those berries, plus grapes, plus orange juice (and the sugar that is in yogurt) would definitely stall my weight loss. Everyone is different, but I find that if I eat more than two servings of fruit a day, my weight loss slows or stalls.

As others have said, don't give up. Depending on your height, 1200 calories might be too little. I'm just under 5' tall and my goal is 1200 calories. If you're taller, chances are you'll do better with more. Also, be sure that you're weighing your portions. You said that you're trying to curb your hunger with almonds - almonds are super healthy, but they're also (relatively) high in calories. At the beginning, I was measuring rather than weighing nuts as part of an afternoon snack and after getting a kitchen scale, discovered that I was adding an additional 100 or 200 calories just because my measurements were not precise. (And at my height, this makes a huge difference.) Another explanation could be if you're are eating back your "exercise calories." If so, do you have a heart rate monitor? That is really the only way to get an accurate reading of how many calories you are burning.

Assuming you are doing all of the above, you might want to get yourself a digital scale if you don't already have one. That way, if you lose half a pound, you'll know and it will make this less frustrating. (I know people say not to worry about the number on the scale, but that doesn't work well for me.)

And finally, remember that this is a lifestyle, not a "diet," per se. Slow and steady weight loss is much more sustainable over time, even if it's just 10 pounds. You should not be hungry. (Maybe the first couple of days, but after that, things should level off.) If you haven't already, you will get to know your body. I know that if I've had a particularly hard couple of workouts one week, and I'm hungry when I'm normally not, then I probably need to eat a bit more. (If you're consistently hungry, then maybe that is a sign that 1200 calories is not enough for you.) Also, do you snack between meals? I find it's easier for me if I eat less at breakfast or lunch and then have a mid morning and afternoon snack. That doesn't work for everyone though.

Also, sometimes I won't lose anything for a couple of weeks, and then suddenly I'll be down 4 pounds. Your body needs time to adjust. While it may be as simple as calories in vs. calories out for some people, I know that for myself, the foods I eat matter just as much as what I am eating. However, I know that is not the case for some people.

So...my point with all of this (sorry for rambling!) is that you might need to play around a bit with your calories, but assuming you're doing everything right, then just stick with it and give it a few more weeks. Eventually you should see some weight loss. (And if you don't, then either your calculations are off or there's something else going on that is making it difficult for you to lose weight.)

p.s. the first section is a quote but for some reason it's not showing as one???
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Stalls..happen as part of the losing weight process. Don't worry..keep reading the forums and you'll realize each success story had some stalls.

Also? imho..1200 is too low. I was eating at that a while back..it was so miserable. I lost..but regained and burned out trying to make those calories stretch to the end of the day. Then in coming back..I've decided to eat more and see if i lose..and i am! I love it...and it is so much easier i can't tell you!

So..please consider increasing your intake..maybe adjust your settings to lose one pound a week and see where that puts you.

Hang in there and stick with it. :)
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    For me, 1200 calories a day will net me a one pound weight loss per week.
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will plateau if you're not eating enough. You are correct 1200 is very low and if you are exercising on top of that then your body is adjusting to prevent starvation. You actually probably need to eat more and work towards a steady slow weight loss while slowly increasing your metabolism.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    ROFL, not to laugh at new people, but they just don't get it. I lost 30 pounds in two months, and then despite my caloric reduction and exercise I stayed near 180 for almost 45 days! Talk about stick-to-it-iveness!

This is a marathon, not a sprint. While it would be nice to have constant reassurance from the scale that you are on the right track and making progress, we are talking about WEIGHT, which is the total weight of everything you have eaten, your bones, your muscles, and your fat. As we drop fat our bodies like to retain water. As we train muscles our bodies like to retain even MORE water.

Do this, go fill a gallon jug with water and weigh yourself holding the jug, and then not holding the jug. One gallon of water weighs 8 pounds.

You aren't going to get a beach body in a month or two, and those 90 day transformations you see show people who were "soft" building their muscles to look "hard".

You've been at it a week, why stop now? You've put in a week's worth of calorie cutting.. keep going!!

This man, he speaks the truth. All of this.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Between the exercising and workouts if it is not working your missing a piece of your own personal puzzle.

Looking at the pieces you have will give you a good idea of where to look. Diet & Nutrition, Exercise, Meal Times and Quality Sleep are the big four when it comes to losing weight. If one of them is not doing well then that's what you need to put more focus on.

For example, all last year I had insomnia but I did everything else right. I ran between 5-12K a day and I worked out between 1-2 hours doing cardio and strength at night with one or two rest days a week and ate a very well balanced diet that kept me in the proper calorie range for weight loss... the thing that kept me from losing and actually made me gain was the fact that I was sleeping 3 or less (sometimes no sleep at all) every single night for nearly 11 months. When I started sleeping again and followed a less active regimine I lost weight!

Edit: And oh yes, do NOT weight yourself everyday. Your body weight can fluxuate daily so if you choose one day a week at a certain time frame (like between 6:00 and 7:00 am every Friday like me) to weigh in at your results will show what you have been working towards a little better.

So take a look at what is going on and see if you can find that missing piece :)
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising, you'll need more than 1,200 calories. If you only eat 1,200 calories, then burn 500 calories in the gym, your net calories are 700 calories to feed your body. This can cause issues with your body over time, so it might be a good idea to consume more calories. Do some research on BMR + Physical Activity, and that might give you an idea of a safe number for your calorie consumption.

I've been on MFP for almost three years. I deleted my first account, and then immediately started another account. I've been maintaining the same weight for almost two years because I don't want to lose any more weight or gain the weight back that I lost.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. Losing weight is not something that happens overnight. Slow and steady wins the race.:bigsmile:

Tell that to Usain Bolt :-)
  • Me48Plus2
    Options

INTERESTING. This site says for me to get to my goals weight (120 pounds) I need to eat 1,200 calories. I'm already half way there with just breakfast today - which only consists of yogurt with blueberries, raspberries, grapes. coffee and orange juice !

Helloitsdan's post said you should be eating 1200 calories for your TDEE? :grumble: What?

YEP !!
  • Shanellz
    Options
    Don't look at the scale everyday! That's my problem. When I don't lose weight, I give up. I now weight myself once a week and take my inches every 2 weeks. Also, you need to atleast eat 1200 calories. Remember nothing will happen over night. Good luck
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    The advice you are getting from other posters to calculate your BMR and TDEE and eat more than 1200 calories is excellent. If you are starving, your body is telling you to eat more. Also, with a small amount to lose, you shouldn't be aiming to lose 2 pounds a week. Half a pound to one pound is much more realistic. Lastly, watch your sodium. MFP sets it at 2500 mg/day. The American Heart Association recommends 2300 mg/day and half the population should aim for 1500 mg/day. Sodium causes water retention in many people (espec women) which can mask your scale losses. One Chinese dinner and I'll retain 2-4 pounds overnight. I need to keep my sodium intake to below 2000 mg/day to stay on track.

Good luck!
  • leastar128
    Options
    "although I would take the time to do the work on Fit2Fat to get an accurate BF %"

First of all, thank you for posting this. Where can I find this exactly? I am trying to understand what BMR and TDEE are but I don't even know my BMI yet :) HELP please! I really need to figure this out now that I am serious about losing this weight. I am 5'3 and weigh 245 lbs. I have been working out doing HIIT cardio intervals on the elliptical for 25-30 mins a day. 5 days a week. I am seeing LITTLE results...my calorie intake says it should be 1750 on here, but I need to find my 'sweet spot' where I will start to lose weight. I have been under this most days, I should mention, even though I feel like I am eating all the time b/c I am trying to eat more often throughout the day instead of 2 larger meals- something I NEVER did before now....long story short- I feel like I have been working my butt off and getting no where...possible muscle gain?? THANK YOU for anyone who can offer advice.:flowerforyou: