Is losing weight really so complicated?!

Options

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight loss is generally very simple. It certainly is not easy.

Stop worrying about starvation mode. Metabolic slowdown occurs but caloric deficits still lead to weight loss. You can always out-deficit the effects of adaptive thermogenesis and anyone making claims that you will suddenly "gain weight due to starvation mode" is basically incorrect.

Edit: to be clear I am in no way advocating crash dieting--there are other concerns with low intakes that I'd worry about. Starvation response isn't one of them.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is simple.

Mastering your nature, rituals and daily habits is far more challenging.

Yes, exactly. There's nothing complicated about it. It's just hard to actually do it.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Go to this site: http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

Input your information. It will then give you plenty of info, including your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), which is the amount of calories you currently burn. It will also give the amount of calories you should eat daily to lose weight. Set this as your calorie goal on MFP.

this website said for me

Caloric Need:
    Estimated Base BMR: 1206 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 1447 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 947 Calories.

not sure how accurate it is.

If these were the numbers on the left side, then they are your numbers when you are at the suggested goal weight. That is also the sedentary numbers, so if you exercise, or move about much at all, then you will be burning more than that. You are probably pretty short to get those numbers. The suggested weight loss number is simply 500 cals below your TDEE for a 1 pound per week loss, and if you are not far from your goal weight, then you should be looking at a slower loss.
    If you figure your numbers on the right side calculator, you will probably get a higher number. Somewhere in between the 2 is probably a good range for you.

Thanks, I am short 4ft 10, the number on the right was 1002?

Then if you are indeed sedentary, your TDEE is only about 1500. If you do very little activity thru out the day, then you will maintain your weight around that level. I am 5'6", 49, and my maintenance is only around 1600-1700 when I am sedentary. So staying around 1200 gives me a 1 pound loss per week, and added exercise 3-4 days a week gives me a bit more, or makes up for days I go over.

Age, shorter height, and higher Body Fat %, all lower your BMR, so you will naturally burn fewer calories than those who are younger, taller, and have more muscle mass. Its not fair, but that is the way it is.
    The counteract this, we have to exercise, either with higher intensity, or longer periods of time at lower intensity. You have to create a calorie deficit either by eating less, moving more, or the best way is a combination of the 2.
  • justicekenny
    Options
    bump
  • Yorda_x
    Yorda_x Posts: 19
    Options
    Kay thanks everyone, based on the replies I am keeping my goal at 1500 and have stopped stressing =)
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Kay thanks everyone, based on the replies I am keeping my goal at 1500 and have stopped stressing =)

Good! I would say that after seeing that you are 5'10", a goal of 120 is below the recommended weight range for your height. A better goal might be at least135 for your height. With some strength training, this would allow you to be thin like you want to be, but be stronger, have more endurance, and able to eat a more normal amount. The closer you get to goal weight, the harder it will be to continue losing.
    Health may not be a priority for you now, but it will be important in the years to come and you will regret not taking care of your health now.
    Best wishes to you. And BTW, you are beautiful, just like you are. Modeling agents can be real turds!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    google nerdfitness underpants gnomes :)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    you have totally overthought the whole thing...

you were eating 1500 cals and losing weight without any problems... so carry on, it IS that simple...
    This.
    This is right. Why would you use starvation mode as an excuse to eat?
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I wish it was not complicated but when you figure everything out its not so bad. It picking through everyones BS to try to seperate fact from fiction! Lets face it someone loses some weight and they automatically think they are an expert lol. Everyones body is differennt so you have to find what works best for you!
  • heatherdeveaux
    Options
    Take it from someone who set a similiar goal (to lose 30 lbs by my 30th birthday) - I did it, I lost the 30 lbs by the deadline I set for myself... and then when it was over I gained it all back. Don't set a deadline. Just live your life and be in control. Keep doing what you are doing but don't worry about achieving some random deadline goal. Noone will be disappointed if you don't. You should keep doing what you are doing because it is obviously working. Don't get fancy or trying a bunch of tactics. Weight loss really is easy if you can control yourself. Good luck - congrats on the 20 lbs!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options

Yes. If this is working for you don't change anything. If it stops working (looking at monthly progress), then you can look into some of the other methods that are out and about on here. But for right now - you're doing just fine!!
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options

good. eventually your weight commands it, you can tweek it a little and continue to decrease your weight.

I started at about 2100 or 2000. after having lost 25 or 30 pounds, I found it necessary to go tweek it to about 1800. After another few pounds lost, I tweeked it to 1700 and change.

so, you can tweek it as you need to. the idea is to burn 3500 calories in a week or 2 and this amounts to 1 lb of fat lost. many people try to burn via exercise and controling food intake like 500 a day and 500 X 7 (day in a week) is 3500. this would equal 1 lb a week.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I wish it was not complicated but when you figure everything out its not so bad. It picking through everyones BS to try to seperate fact from fiction! Lets face it someone loses some weight and they automatically think they are an expert lol. Everyones body is differennt so you have to find what works best for you!

WOW! That is some crazy weight loss in only a year! And apparently you didn't lose all your muscle mass doing it. Fantastic job!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I ran my numbers, this site is incredibly accurate. It was dead-on for the body fat cals, and was in the ballpark of close enough on the other. Nice. I've book marked this site for future reference.

Input your information. It will then give you plenty of info, including your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), which is the amount of calories you currently burn. It will also give the amount of calories you should eat daily to lose weight. Set this as your calorie goal on MFP.

this website said for me

Caloric Need:

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options

This is the calculator I use... I think Scooby is full of crap for most things, but this is a good, easy to understand calculator. I under estimated my exercise (I put 1-3 hours of light exercise because some weeks I'm over that and some weeks I'm around that depending on what's going on) and filled it out. I also made sure to click 15% calorie reduction instead of 20%. Faster loss is not better. I lost almost 40 pounds in about 8 months and I've gained back about 15 of it because I lost too fast. Slow and steady! I'm eating 1600 calories a day and logging my exercise as "1 calorie burned" and it's been working for me.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I question this whole 'starvation mode' thing. I would think you'd at least have to FEEL like you're starving (which is a far cry from feeling hungry because it is time for you to eat) before this 'starvation mode' would kick in. And, you're losing on 1500. That's great. I am looking forward to maintenance, during which time I'll be able to eat more than the 1200 I'm eating now to lose. If what you're doing is working, and you don't feel like you could eat the furniture, I would just stick w/ it.

Good luck.
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    H
  • shadowsaround
    Options
    How long on a 100-1000 calories a day does it take to go into starvation mode?
    You're not going to go into starvation mode by going over or under 1500 calories by a 100 or so. Starvation mode would be restricting to something ridiculous like eating only 100-1000 calories a day for a long time. Try not to obsess too much over it. It is impossible to stay RIGHT AT a certain calorie intake. If your 1500 +/- a few is working, keep it up. Good luck!

(P.S. I'm not just talking off the top of my head, I am a registered dietitian)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

this website said for me

Caloric Need:

I ran my numbers, this site is incredibly accurate. It was dead-on for the body fat cals, and was in the ballpark of close enough on the other. Nice. I've book marked this site for future reference.

You must be average. That's great! :flowerforyou:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is working for you. Why change it now? (I wouldn't)

This. You've lost 20lbs. You haven't had any problems. Why change what you're doing and why panic? Just relax and keep on keepin on.