How to find a gym buddy?

Options
Hey MFPers -- I have a quick question for you all.

I'm wanting to get into freeweights and lifting at my gym, but am rather inexperienced. In the past I have gone with boyfriends and they've spotted for me and helped me with my form. Alas, now I have to go it alone and I'm still definitely in need of guidance.

How did you guys get regular gym buddies? Or, if you lift on your own, do you ask others to spot you? What's the etiquette?

Replies

• Jessiebell527
    Jessiebell527 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Find the cutest, closest boy.....and smile, they will be happy to help!
  • mikebowers27
    Options
    Ask and you will receive.

I lift dumbbells which allows me to max out without a spotter. Dumbbells can get tricky on incline bench.
  • Losemymanboobs
    Options
    Find the cutest, closest boy.....and smile, they will be happy to help!

Haha yes!! This would defo work.
  • jericenkins
    Options
    Hahaha, I'm just not feeling my most confident or 'alluring' when I"m stumbling about in gym clothes and dragging weights! ;)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I lift on my own, as I don't want to inadvertently get into some stupid competition with anyone. Well, not anyone other than myself, anyway.

I find that, since I typically go at the same time on the same days, I see the same people. I'd imagine you'd find this to be true, too. Just be pleasant and ask for a spot/help if you need it. I can't imagine anyone at the gym I go to would have a problem giving me a spot or tip, if asked and they were able. Obviously, don't interrupt them during a set - wait until they're in a rest period.
  • steare31
    Options
    Lift weights you can manage without a spotter, and over time you will gradulally increase your strength and your ability to lift more without the aid of help..... :)
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I have no issue approaching people and asking. After all we're all there for the same thing, I'm pretty sure they're up for a bit of interaction as well :3
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I'm just not feeling my most confident or 'alluring' when I"m stumbling about in gym clothes and dragging weights! ;)

Guys love to be the hero and save the day. Just ask, I'm the same way but learned that you can't get help if you don't ask! Go on now girl!
  • shyam3001
    Options
    Just ask...

Well I have done this many a time, if I see someone struggling with weights or a machine (or doing it the wrong way), I walk up to them and offer help - or tell them at least if you keep doing it this way you'll injure yourself or work the wrong muscles...

If you come to Olympia or Douglas in Dundee I'll be there 6 days a week and I'd be happy to help you ;);)
  • shyam3001
    Options
    Guys love to be the hero and save the day.

Haha so true!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

I don't think you even *need* to be alluring. When it comes to weights, I think guys are more than happy to show ladies what studs they are.

Not proud to admit it, but I end up asking for help one day. I wasn't thinking and loaded up the smith machine with the weight for my squats...then realized that I could not lift it from waist height (where it had been left) to shoulder height. I thought about un-racking the weights. Then I decided to ask the big guy in the squat rack to lift it. I asked him after his set, it took him 10 seconds.