Is cycling to work all the cardio I need?

Options
Hello all.

Next week I am going to start cycling to work again (did it for a few months in 2011 but gave up in the cold weather). It is just over 5 miles and quite varied terrain, used to take me about 30 minutes each way.

At the moment I am doing about 30 minutes of cardio (treadmill, cross-trainer and bike) in the gym as well as weights. I do that 2-3 times a week.

My question is; if I am cycling to work and back 4 days a week, and stopping at the gym on my way home twice a week, can I drop the cardio out of my workout and focus on weights? Is cycling enough or do I need the variety of also running etc?

Replies

• ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    5 miles?
    that's about 20 minutes at 15 mph....so about 40 minutes round trip.
    4 days a week? should work....just make sure to get another forn of exercise in addition to that....cycling is not a weight bearing exercise, so doesn't do a lot for bones and upper body.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    My question is; if I am cycling to work and back 4 days a week, and stopping at the gym on my way home twice a week, can I drop the cardio out of my workout and focus on weights? Is cycling enough or do I need the variety of also running etc?

Yep, you can drop the additional cardio.

You don't actually need any cardio at all if your goal is primarily fat loss but I prefer to do some myself.
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Really? How so?
    My main goal is to get my body fat % down under 19% (currently 29). I thought cardio was important for burning fat.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I thought cardio was important for burning fat.

Good diet = calorie deficit = fat loss
    Weights = preservation of LBM

That will be enough. You can add in or take away cardio as necessary as an insurance policy against over eating or if you are finding it difficult to manage on less food but it's not absolutely necessary.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Really? How so?
    My main goal is to get my body fat % down under 19% (currently 29). I thought cardio was important for burning fat.

No, cardio can help to create a larger calorie deficit, but is not essential. Cardio is good for your cardiovascular system and that's as good a reason as any to do it.

Equally, you can modify your eating habits to create that deficit.
  • 3shirts
    Options
    I see, that does make a lot of sense, thanks.
    I've never been a fan of cardio but I know it's good for the heart and respiratory system so I look for ways to mix it up. I do 2 hours of badminton a week as well so with that and the cycle commute I can keep the gym for just weights.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I see, that does make a lot of sense, thanks.
    I've never been a fan of cardio but I know it's good for the heart and respiratory system so I look for ways to mix it up. I do 2 hours of badminton a week as well so with that and the cycle commute I can keep the gym for just weights.

Racquet sports are a great way to work out the ol' C-V system.... I'm a big fan of tennis myself. Between that and cycling to work, I think you've got that side of things sewn up nicely!

The weights will be the most important thing whilst in a deficit to help you retain the all-important LBM.....

I'd say you're doing it right and with time and hard work you'll get where you're going!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Enough for what?
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't do extra cardio. I bike 5 miles to work, and it's pretty flat. I've been doing it for about three and a half months, and I've lost about 35lbs. I also use biking as my primary mode of transportation, so that's generally an extra 5 or 15 miles a week.

Keep up the weight lifting, but you definitely don't need more cardio.
  • 3shirts
    Options
    Thanks all. I'll see how I get on with the cycling then. Starting the first week we are predicted snow is gonna be interesting!
  • 3shirts
    Options
    Day two of this then and I'm enjoying the ride but not so much the effort getting changed and showered etc at the end.

I'm thinking about only cycling two days a week though, the days I don't go to badminton or the gym straight from work. I have to carry too much gear if I do those and changing out of cycling stuff, into gym wear then back again afterwards and change AGAIN when I get home is a lot of hassle. I might just stick with doing some cardio at the gym on those days.

What do you think?