Fruit

Options
I don't like fruit. I keep trying different ones, but the only fruit I truly like are bananas... and only if they are perfectly ripe. And that makes it hard to buy a bunch of bananas, because they overripen so quickly!

I can make myself eat apples, grapes, pears, and raisins, but I don't enjoy them. I do like baked apple goods, but I cannot eat gluten anymore, so those are hard to come by.

I hate strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peaches, cherries, kiwis, pomegranates, watermelons, coconut, oranges, clementines, etc.

Anybody else out there not like "nature's candy"?

Eating fruits as snacks would really help the weight loss progress, but they're just so gross! Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that doesn't like fruit!

Replies

• notreallytrillian
    notreallytrillian Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, so I can't identify with your problem. However, I totally understand that gluten free is a really hard thing to do. Since you like bananas you might want to try this gluten free banana bread option from Elana's Pantry: http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-banana-bread/

Good luck!
  • malkb27
    malkb27 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I'll pin that for later. I do love me some banana bread. :)
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    What about turning fruits into smoothies?
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I love fruit but it's not some magic bullet for weight loss. Sure there can be a lot of vitamins in fruit but I think as long as you are eating your veggies and maybe taking a good multivitamin you'll be just fine!

There are a lot of things out there that can be "good" for weight loss but you should never force yourself to eat something because you 'should'. Eat what you enjoy and you're more likely to stick with it.
  • malkb27
    Options
    I only do banana smoothies. Sometimes I'll throw in a few strawberries, but only a few... I don't want the flavor to be very noticable. I've tried other fruit smoothies to my dismay....
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    That's weird..
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You can bake an apple by itself. Mom used to use those doohickey corers that section them for pies, sprinkle with cinnamon, put 4 in a 12x12 pan with a little water for steam, cover with foil and bake till soft. You can also toss in raisins, and I don't know what kind of gluten if any oats have, but I have sprinkled a bit of oatmeal in there from time to time to get the feel of a cobbler without the whole deal.
  • malkb27
    Options
    "I love fruit but it's not some magic bullet for weight loss."

I didn't say it was a magic bullet; I said it would help. I have a terrible sweet tooth and I wish I like fruit because then I could substitute fruit for the sweet things I eat.
  • malkb27
    Options
    You can bake an apple by itself. Mom used to use those doohickey corers that section them for pies, sprinkle with cinnamon, put 4 in a 12x12 pan with a little water for steam, cover with foil and bake till soft. You can also toss in raisins, and I don't know what kind of gluten if any oats have, but I have sprinkled a bit of oatmeal in there from time to time to get the feel of a cobbler without the whole deal.

That sounds delicious without the oatmeal!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Incidentally, you can probably bake most any fruit without the crust or cake part.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Can't relate...love my fruit, especially citrus. I'd like to eat more than I do, but it would kill my macros. About 2 servings or so is all I can get in a day unless I reduce veg intake and my whole grains.
  • justoneanna
    Options
    I'm also allergic to gluten, so I feel your pain on finding certain foods.

I was just going to suggest what Successgal posted though. I take a whole apple, use a corer (or a really sharp teaspoon measure) to scoop out the core in the center almost to the bottom (but leave just a little at the bottom) so you have an apple with a little well in it. Then I put in about a teaspoon of brown sugar and sprinkle in cinnamon and nutmeg. You can add GF oats or raisins or pecans as well. put it in a dish with a little water, cover with foil, and bake at 375 for about an hour. Usually I put four in an 8x8 glass pyrex pan. I make these for friends, who usually slather them in icecream, but I don't feel bad eating them just how they are.
  • PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    Woah.. We're like complete opposites.. I love all the fruit you hate and barely tolerate the ones your comfortable with..

I agree though.. Dont force yourself to eat things you dont enjoy.. Eat more veg to get your nutrients in and like the other lady suggested take a multivitamin.. :)

have a lovely day!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I am not a natural fruit eater either but I dont actually hate it!I will forget to eat fruit unless I constantly remind myself!I know another friend who feels the same!
  • malkb27
    Options
    I'm also allergic to gluten, so I feel your pain on finding certain foods.

I was just going to suggest what Successgal posted though. I take a whole apple, use a corer (or a really sharp teaspoon measure) to scoop out the core in the center almost to the bottom (but leave just a little at the bottom) so you have an apple with a little well in it. Then I put in about a teaspoon of brown sugar and sprinkle in cinnamon and nutmeg. You can add GF oats or raisins or pecans as well. put it in a dish with a little water, cover with foil, and bake at 375 for about an hour. Usually I put four in an 8x8 glass pyrex pan. I make these for friends, who usually slather them in icecream, but I don't feel bad eating them just how they are.

I don't like oatmeal, but I love pecans! I'm definitely going to try this!

Gluten gives me headaches and migraines. The only good thing about being GF is that I have a great excuse not to eat the cupcakes and donuts at work....
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Just wondering if it's a taste thing or a texture thing? I LOVE fruit myself, but... I was wondering if making a fruit smoothie of some sort with added protein/soy or almond milk, would help you get your fruits. That is, if you want to...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy about fruit either. The cool thing though, is you don't NEED to eat fruit. You can get all the nutrients that are in fruit from VEGETABLES, with a lot less sugar. Yippee. (I do like berries though and they are low in sugar.)
  • malkb27
    Options
    Just wondering if it's a taste thing or a texture thing? I LOVE fruit myself, but... I was wondering if making a fruit smoothie of some sort with added protein/soy or almond milk, would help you get your fruits. That is, if you want to...

For most fruits it's a taste thing, but I HATE the texture of citrus fruits. I really only like bananas and a few strawberries in my smoothies.
  • malkb27
    Options
    I'm not crazy about fruit either. The cool thing though, is you don't NEED to eat fruit. You can get all the nutrients that are in fruit from VEGETABLES, with a lot less sugar. Yippee. (I do like berries though and they are low in sugar.)

And I do love most veggies! I just have an awful sweet tooth! I wish I liked fruit!