Chicken recipes

Options
pennyhowe
pennyhowe Posts: 3 Member
I'm not much of a chicken fan, but obviously, I need to eat it. Does anyone have a good, healthily recipe where the chicken doesn't taste so bland without all the sodium of spices or broths?

Replies

• mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    There are alot of good recipes on skinnytaste.com or emilybites.com. I love chicken but agree that unless you season it or put it in something it is very bland. Search some of the recipes on those sites though. I love them! They are low calorie and every recipe i have made has been delicious!

Oh and GIna from skinnytaste.com makes alot of her own dressings, sauces and broths so that helps with the sodium alot! Hope this helps!
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure you "need" to eat chicken but I'll also throw in another vote for skinnytaste.com
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just checked out skinnytast. that site looks awesome :)
  • pennyhowe
    pennyhowe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make my own broths too and yes this information helps! At least I have a direction to start looking when I didn't before. Thanks for your post
  • tx_mom72
    Options
    bump
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here's an easy one, and it's really good.

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    2 good sized lemons (or 3 small ones)
    about 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or cut in strips
    2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    olive oil

Preheat the oven to 350. Place the chicken in a baking dish. Top with garlic slices, then torn basil leaves. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon (or one whole lemon, if they're small) over everything. Slice the remaining lemon and place the slices on top of the chicken. Then drizzle with a little olive oil, about a tablespoon. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.

Add some rice and a salad. Dinner is served, yum!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to eat it? If you don't like it don't put it in your mouth. its really very simple.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    Nothing says you HAVE to eat chicken. Liver is very healthy but I'm not eating it.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Have you tried juicing it?
  • mlclarke22
    mlclarke22 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    crockpot fajita chicken

5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2-4 peppers( i use a red, yellow, orange and green) sliced into strips
    1 small onion thinly sliced
    cumin
    chili powder
    cayenne
    black pepper
    1/2 no salt added all natural chicken broth(or water)

place peppers and onions in bottom of crock, add chicken spices and broth..cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6

italian chicken

5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1 packet of four seasons italian dressing(dry)

place chicken in uncovered baking dish, sprinkle dressing evenly over all chicken
    bake @350 for 20-30 mins or until juices run clear
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, chikken squeezin's. My favorite.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a chicken fan, but obviously, I need to eat it.

No, obviously you don't.
  • megd726
    megd726 Posts: 31
    Options
    Spices are not usually chock full of sodium. They can be an excellent way of incorporating flavor to a dish without adding sodium. You do have to watch out for some of the mixes but there are plenty of options that are sodium free.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, chikken squeezin's. My favorite.

Add veggies you get a chicken smoothie.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Cook the Chicken with a bit of olive oil and onions and then slice it up and in a soup pan add like 3 cans of low sodium broth, Cabbage,Okra,diced peppers,diced tomatoe,tomato puree,a few tsp of crab broil,a few cloves of garlic whatever seasonings you like, is good
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    I like this recipe: http://hilahcooking.com/spatchcock-chicken/

If you'd rather not cook a whole chicken, you can just use the spice rub on whatever pieces of chicken you like. It also goes well with seafood and vegetables.

Really though, no one says you HAVE to eat chicken if you honestly don't like it.

Edit: forgot to mention, you could reduce the amount of salt if you're watching your sodium, or reduce/omit the cayenne if you don't want it to be so spicy, etc.
  • PhillyTD
    PhillyTD Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    monkeys4.jpg
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Mrs. Dash seasonings are great!!