Seeking advice from a prof. Trainer or Physical Therapist

Options
I am seeking some help in rehabilitating my shoulder. In December of 2011 I had my rotatorcuff repaired along with a torn bicep (right arm). I was released to resume working out in April of 2012 but didn't.

Last night I worked out Chest & Shoulders for the first time since before my surgery. I took it easy but knowing me I will overdo it at some point unless I have some sort of a workout program to follow. I use to be a trainer YEARS ago and know a lot about training but I think this is beyond me and don't want to end up injuring it again.

Would anyone mind helping me with this? Here is what I did last night. Thanks in advanced for anything you can do.

Bench Press (free weights)
Set 1: Bar only of 45lbs, 20 reps
Set 2: 65lbs for 15 reps
Set 3: 75lbs. for 15 reps
Set 4: 85lbs. for 12 resps (felt a couple of small pops in the rear of my right shoulder after about 10 reps)
Set 5: 85 lbs. for 10 reps (again just a couple of small pops)
The pops didn't hurt but it just raised concern

Incline Bench (Free weights)
Set 1: 95lbs. for 10 reps (the set was a medium/hard to lift)
Set 2: 95lbs. for 7 reps ( same as above)
Set 3: 95lbs. for 6 reps (same as above)

Shoulders
Front delt raises using a 25lb. plate using both hands
Set 1: 15 reps
Set 2: 12 reps
Set 3: 10 reps

Lateral Raises using a 10 lb. plate in each hand
3 sets of 12 reps each

Seated Rowing machine and focused on the rear delts
(This machine the pulleys are above you when your seated)
Set 1: 50lbs. for 20 reps
Set 2: 60 lbs. for 20 reps
Set 3: 60 lbs. for 20 reps
Set 4: 70 lbs for 20 reps

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    People looking for advice from PTs should visit PTs at their offices.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Some of us don't have the best insurance plans either.
  • Susan_12
    Susan_12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Even if you have insurance some don't help much.
    Sorry I can't help you with this one. I got Frozen Shoulder (feels like torn rotator cuff) in both and was given PT exercises to do. It took a long time to get my movement back.
    Good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You need to remove your personal details from the post (email)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You probably did too much. When you're coming back from an injury, you should start slowly so you know what you can tolerate.

Start with one set of bench press and nothing else. Slowly increase to a few sets. Then start adding other pressing movements and shoulder isolation work.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not you have the best insurance you should go to your Physical Therapist and ask them. Any doctors office or health care professional will work with you on a payment plan. No insurance or not the best insurance is a cop out not to go to a doctor. Our insurance has a 10K deductible and it's for catastrophic purposes only. If I have to go to the doctor I tell them I have no insurance and *surprise!* they can come up with a cash price for you like magic!
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    coming back from a shoulder injury, you need to make sure that your push pull ratio is at least 1:2. I would recommend 1:3 personally. Pressing more than you pull is generally what gets your shoulder injured in the first place so be careful not to fall back into that trap. Also, for rehabbing athlete's shoulders I like to hang the weights off of the bar with a chain so it's not completely stable and have them do several short sets (10 sets of 3 reps). Don't do long sets because your form gradually breaks down as you fatigue which increases your chances of re-injuring yourself. After benching I would do barbell rows, chins/lat pulldowns, posterior deltoid flyes with DB's and then MAYBE some light incline DB Presses if your shoulder is feeling good. You also need to make sure that you are benching correctly so that you can prevent anterior rotation of the humerus as much as possible. This means tucking your elbows, pulling your scapulae together, keeping an arch in your back and driving your heels into the floor beneath you. Here's a link you should watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHx1gYTA-Rw

this is a 7 part series, be sure to watch all of them and, above all, TAKE DAVE TATE'S ADVICE! The man knows what he's doing. Good luck to you.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Sweet, thanks so much. Thats exactly what the advice i was looking for. And thank you to all for your input. It is really appreciated.
    FYI: I do plan to take this slow.