Lose & Tone ARMS???

Options
Hey MFP Family,

What are some simple exercises that I could do everyday to help LOSE & TONE my arms? They are already big, so I want them to go down before I tone.

Thank you!!

Roe!

Replies

• sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think arms are important- why would you want to lose them?
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do the 100 push up challenge, did wonders to my arms!
  • speedgoose
    Options

What is this challenge? Doing 100 push ups a day?
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Losing weight in general is the only thing you can do......You really can't spot areas to loss weight and work them out and expect to loss the weight there :)........Your body will take care of everything if you feed and train it right :).....Best of luck to you!
  • aryya
    aryya Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You have to lose fat overall through having a calorie deficit (cardio and clean eating). That is what will make your arms 'thin out' If You want them to look 'toned' you have to lift weights. And by this i mean NOT the lightest weight possible, you have to lift some HEAVYweights. You will not make your arms bigger, they won't get 'huge and muscly' they will have beautiful, lean lines to them.

Lifting weights at the same time as losing fat (cardio, etc) will mean you have some nice shape there as things progress, instead of no shape there. Simple things like bicep curls and tricep overhead extensions (plus many other exercises for what i call 'detail work' ) can give some nice shape. But i do prefer doing bigger movements like pushups and rows, as these work your arms, as well as chest and back, so that there is just general nice shape everywhere ;)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Firstly - pin down what you mean by "tone" - do you want to build the muscles on your arms, or just lose the fat to be able to see the muscles you already have? The only way to lose the fat there is with a calorie deficit, through diet and/or exercise. Unfortunately, you can't target fat loss, so no special arm exercise will make you lose that fat there, unless your body is just ready to let it go from there. Patience and persistence are key. It looks like you're trying to lose another 60ish lbs, so some of that is bound to come off your arms.

If you want to build those muscles up, then eventually you'll need to be eating more calories than you consume in order to "bulk" - you would probably do this once you reached your weight loss goal, and would have to gain some fat with the muscle, before losing the fat again.

Even if you don't want to actually build up those muscles, it's a very good idea to try to preserve what muscle you already have, so that when the fat is gone, you have good definition there. Strength/resistance training of your arms will definitely help to keep those muscles, along with not having too large of a calorie deficit while you are losing. There are websites that will show you lots of different exercises for different muscles. This one: www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ lets you select different exercises based on whether you have gym equipment, or are just using you bodyweight.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Losing weight in general is the only thing you can do......You really can't spot areas to loss weight and work them out and expect to loss the weight there :)........Your body will take care of everything if you feed and train it right :).....Best of luck to you!
    ^this
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

What is this challenge? Doing 100 push ups a day?

No you work up to it over I believe, 6 weeks.
    http://hundredpushups.com/#sthash.kTBzyZJR.dpbs
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lose arms - Calorie deficit (either through diet, exercise, or a combo of both).
    Tone arms - Lift weights heavy.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

this along with bench press, overhead press, pull ups, barbell rows

might as well throw in some squats and deadlifts for legs while you're at it huh?
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options

What challenge is that?