Quiting smoking - Week 1

Options
Okay, I know it's Tuesday and all great challenges start on Monday, but any time is a good time to get healthy, right? So here's the deal: I started smoking as a teenager. I quit around age 19, and didn't smoke for three years. Awesome, right? But then I started again last year, and it's become even harder to quit this time. My fiance smokes, and doesn't seem likely to quit any time soon. I'm thinking that maybe if I set the example, he'll follow.

So, I'm looking for people who want to take on this challenge with me. We can hang out in this thread and give support to one another, and hopefully tackle this stupid habit together.

So, who's with me?

Replies

• christinagriffith
    christinagriffith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm in ... tried to give it up last week and failed again, my husband smokes so I feel your pain. Lets lead by example!!
  • vrdz3215
    vrdz3215 Posts: 493
    Options
    im with you, i have tried to quit 1000908908707080099801870148 times and was successful in quitting for a month once. I have already set a new quit date of May 3rd. The reason it is then is because i am going on vacation and to visit friends and I know that i will wind up smoking if I set my quit date for now. I have been cutting down for the past week though in preparation for the quit date. Im lucky, my DBF doesnt smoke, but his whole family and my mother does so i have some challenges with that. Good thing is that most of my friends who smoked have quit so they are there for encouragement.
    Lets kick this habit once and for all together!
  • richmondhillgal
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago after 25 years of a 2 pack a day habit so I know of what I speak. There is a great website www.quitnet.com that was super helpful to me. Also, you have to decide you wanna quit, get rid of all smoking materials and wash all your clothes and if you have a smoker in the house see if they will go outside. It makes it more difficult to quit with someone else who smokes but it can be done! Good luck and remember "smoking is NOT an option!"
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! Vrdz - we'll see you May 3rd! (Feel free, of course, to hang around until then!)

I did try making my guy go outside to smoke before, but it was winter and didn't last long. Maybe since the weather is nicer he'll be more likely to do so. I guess we'll see!

Anywho, I had a smoke break at nine, and I'm determined that's going to be my last one. First challenge: Making it through lunch. I know I'm not the only one that has trouble after meals, am I right?
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My quit day was April 1st. So, I've not had a cigg for 20 days! My husband smokes but he magically disappears whenever he lights up. I have no idea where he goes, I'm just grateful that he leaves! It would be kind of hard to quit with him smoking, although I do need to quit smoking around people who smoke.

Plus, I have NOT gained any weight! I have LOST weight!

When I joined MFP about a month or so ago I wanted to get healthy and fit. I figured how the heck am I going to get healthy and fit if I continue to smoke? So that's when I decided to quit.

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good lUck to you all. You can do it. My husband smokes and I really miss going out with him to smoke. It was kind of our together time at family gatherings and stuff since no one else smoked. But the benefits of not smoking far out way that. My advice is for you to get up and move whenever you want a smoke. I used to get up and do 20 jumping jacks. Basically if you breath (which jumping jacks makes you do) and focus on something else for 5 to 10 minutes. the craving will pass.

Any way I know you can do it !
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!! My quit date is set for April 27th! I quit through 2 pregnancies but always come back to it! I want to be done for good this time!!!
  • stephkyp
    stephkyp Posts: 12
    Options
    :bigsmile: I QUIT ON FEB 16 AFTER HIP SURGERY - I SMOKED FOR YEARS AND YEARS - I USED THE PATCH AND TOOTSIE ROLL POPS WHEN IT GETS REALLY BAD - I DON'T COUGH ANYMORE AND I DON'T STINK - NOW I AM TRYING TO LOSE THE WEIGHT - GOOD LUCK EVERYONE - YOU CAN DO IT IF I DID!!!!
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    Haha, Steph! Tootsie pops is how I quit last time! I bought a huge bag of them and three packs of gum after I said I'd quit. Believe me, they were all gone! Might need to find a healthier alternative, though. I was thinking some fruity popsicles, maybe.

I'm so glad for all your support. We can do this!
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been smoke-free for 25 days. The first week was the easiest for me so far. Now I can't keep my mind off the cigs.....but I'll never go back! Congrats to everyone that has quit and good luck to those of you who will soon join us.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    its not been easy but i have made it 109days!!!! im in the same boat as "gutterball", i dream of them at times! but i will never go back! i took up running to help me stay off them. after a good run you wouldnt dare let that smoke hit your lungs! good luck to you! i found that using this ticker tracker below really keeps me on track....i dont want to have to start at day one ever again!

btw: if anyone can find the tickers that track the money saved as well, lemme know! i used to have one and it disappeared one day :cry: ( i really liked seeing all the money i was saving!) :drinker:
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I'll Join you! This is my 3rd day smoke free. I have been smoking since I was 18 and I am now 35. I was never a heavy smoker and often went days and sometimes weeks in between a smoke. I never smoked during my 3 pregnancies so I know I can do it. So I am in!

Bethe
  • christinagriffith
    christinagriffith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    made it through today without a ciggy. Was hard when I was making dinner and DH was outside having one. I just had to walk away and go watch a little TV as my pork loin baked... yay, one day of success!